Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temporary loss of speedo, tach, signals

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Temporary loss of speedo, tach, signals

I got to take my first ride of the season yesterday and had a ball. On the way home I stopped at the local dealer to check out some parts. When I left the dealer I had lost all signals, tach, speedometer, and there was a small red light on in the lower right corner of the speedo. I can't tell what the heck it's supposed look like. The bike ran fine. I pulled into a parking lot and shut the bike down, then turned the ignition on without starting the bike. Everything appeared normal, no red light. As soon as I started the engine the light came on and still no lights, tach, speedo. I was only 3 miles from home so I just rode home. After parking it in the garage and taking off my gear I then started the bike again. Hmmm, everything is now working. I rode it around the block and all is normal.

Does anyone have an idea of what happened? Is something getting ready to leave me stranded somewhere?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Had this happen, mine turned out to be the ignition switch on the dash, it has a glitch in it. If it does it again giggle the switch and see if it comes back on.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Lundee
Had this happen, mine turned out to be the ignition switch on the dash, it has a glitch in it. If it does it again giggle the switch and see if it comes back on.
Why do I have to laugh at it? Do I do that before, or after, I jiggle it?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know what you mean though. Maybe it's time to pull the console and check out the switch, maybe break out the dielectric KY jelly.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 PM
Mcdave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding down the hiway about 80mph and the speedo/tack radio started cutting off/on, then the engine cut out/on about 3-4 times then lost about 80% power. Got her slowed down, then pulled over. Engine idled ok, shut her down, then tried to start, no go. Long story short, battery shorted out, died mid stroke, 0 volts, nada. Friends ran into next little town and found an auto parts store that was open for 10 min longer, found one that would work, brought it back to me and dropped her in, BOOM, we were off and running. No problems since.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 AM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

Was just reading a post the other day where same similar things were happening and it was the ignition switch just as Lundee said.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by lemonade_07flstc
Was just reading a post the other day where same similar things were happening and it was the ignition switch just as Lundee said.
Mine shut off at 50 mph while I was at biketoberfest... it was a bad switch. I wasn't smart enough to sit back and think for a while, so some buddies went to Rossmeyer's and picked up a new switch for $120. The connector on the wiring had melted enough that it needed replacement. As it turns out, I could have just flipped the connector over and ridden home and addressed the issue with more thought. I bought a new wiring connector from HD for not too much money (don't remember now).

The "new" switch went a couple of years later. If you put your fingers on each side of the lock ****, you can feel heat (too much heat, that is) coming from the switch if this is the case on your bike. The switch is made in China... enough said.

You can buy the same switch from J&P for 30 or 40 bucks. You just have to modify the connector slightly so that the HD connector will snap onto the switch. I have had no problems since... and I check the temperature every once in a while just in case.

C#

The following users liked this post:
O7pearl (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 04:55 PM
O7pearl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Loss of Speedo and Tach

I had this issue yesterday in the middle of a ride. Did not effect the bikes performance or the radio. I just happened to look down and saw speedo and tach at zero plus the Security system red light and the Battery Discharge red lights were on. I waited until our groups next pit stop and after turning off the bike to fill up, everything went back to normal.
I ride a 2007 Ultra Classic with a Thunder Max ECM and thought it might be that but will try the ignition switch jiggle while checking it's temperature if it happens again.