Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Relocation on Fatty 07

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:45 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Rear Turn Signal Relocation on Fatty 07

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

Heh I gotta ask a question, where did you "stuff" all the little wires and connectors for the tailbone and led strut turn signals?
Is that the stock rear light?.. the stock don't have much room!!
I cut the wires for the original rear turn signals. The connectors on the end would not fit through the holes in the fender. Then I removed the original signals installed the mini LED rear signals and spliced the old end connectors onto the wires and plugged them in. On my 2005 you remove the tail light and the signal wires plug in there. Then Istarted to change the clear lens on the LEDs to the amber lens which came separate in the box. That was when I found out that you cannot access the set screw that holds the lens in place once the light is installed. I ended up taking everything loose so I could switch lenses.
The tailbones converter is a simple plug in, that goes next to your battery. Two minute job.
My interpretation of the add in the J&P catalog was, that I would not require a load equalizer by using this converter. I was told different on this forum, so I called Biketronics for their input.
Their tech said that the add in the J&P catalog was missing some words, which made it read in error. He told me there was a good chance I wouldn't need the load equalizer anyway. I think because I was only switching the rear signals to LEDs. He told me that once I was done with the installation,to do a momentary disconnect of the battery. This would allow the ECM to adjust for the different load. Then activate the right signal for a few seconds then the left and the ECM should reset for it. He thought the signals might flash real fast the first few seconds then slow to normal (that didn't happen). I did what he said and everything worked perfect.
Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/18321/3490A55DE13541C9A5410E30C8BE8B73.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-31-2007, 05:30 PM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for all the info!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hopefully my strut mounted LEDs will be here by Friday. I didn't order the tailbones just yet.. I might tho. Hope everything goes smooth. I ain't' gonna be a happy camper if I need them load equalizers.. for one they expensive heh and two I didn't order them.

Joke: What did one L.E.D. say to the other L.E.D. when they walked into the downtown Pub?

Answer: Let's get LIT...

I made that one up in class one day working on a circuit.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: vertigo14

Hopefully my strut mounted LEDs will be here by Friday. I didn't order the tailbones just yet.. I might tho. Hope everything goes smooth. I ain't' gonna be a happy camper if I need them load equalizers.. for one they expensive heh and two I didn't order them.

Joke: What did one L.E.D. say to the other L.E.D. when they walked into the downtown Pub?

Answer: Let's get LIT...

I made that one up in class one day working on a circuit.
After I ordered the Tailbones converter I checked on the price of the HD model. As I recall the HD converter was cheaper. I don't know how good the HD converter is or if it installs as easy. It just took me by surprise, that the HD version would be cheaper..
Tom

Old 04-06-2007, 03:08 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

"He told me that once I was done with the installation,to do a momentary disconnect of the battery."

Hmm, wouldn't you have already disconnected the battery while installing in the first place? So wouldn't hooking up the battery after installation count for this "momentary disconnect"?

Checked UPS tracking and my LEDs will be here tomorrow(in an hour.. midnight, i wish lol) heh

Old 04-08-2007, 03:33 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Just got done with putting on the Kuryakyn strut mounted LEDs.. they look great.. and my detachable hardware fits as well (bags and sissy)

two pics:

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/45F235CB972945F5AA9431FC3F2D0454.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/B4C0B2D837484D858A6A486DB500CD1D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 03:39 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

I think I will get a tailbones circuit for all this.. turn signals turn into running lights and brake lights....

oh the HD circuit comes with a few other things..its slightly cheaper than the tailbones tho...

and BTW I didn't need a load equalizer either on a 07 fatty

my next project:
next week I'm removing the engine guard and pegs..and floorboards and putting forward controls on

Old 04-08-2007, 10:15 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Looks good.
Now you know why I said to change to the right lens color, before the install.
Is there a difference between the HD and the Tailsbone converters, other than price?
Tom

Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Doesn't look like it.. the converter looks the same..as the tailbones one...cept not stamped with the American flag.
But the HD one comes with red lens(s) and tie downs and some chrome mounts...
Don't need all that.. even if its 50bucks cheaper.. 59 or so on ebay...

[IMG]local://upfiles/26427/A8EE6F12020A46D7997F863321DA59CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 02:33 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

Actually there is one more kit without the mounting hardware.. and its 45.99 on ebay. Just missed this one, but it still comes with the red large lenses and ties and the converter of course. Fits 02+ Softails with rear stock turn signals.. but that's just because of the lenses.. not the converter.

Quick Reply: Rear Turn Signal Relocation on Fatty 07