Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Fender Wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:15 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Rear Fender Wiring question...

Hello forum, I am moving my tail light and signals off my rear fender on my Fatboy. My question is, how difficult a task is this so the tail light and signals work properly? Will hard wiring and just matching the color coded wires from the fender to the new location do the trick? Any help on this is appreciated...Thanks in advance to whoever replies...

Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy1729
Hello forum, I am moving my tail light and signals off my rear fender on my Fatboy. My question is, how difficult a task is this so the tail light and signals work properly? Will hard wiring and just matching the color coded wires from the fender to the new location do the trick? Any help on this is appreciated...Thanks in advance to whoever replies...
I've wired a couple of Fatboy rear fenders among others. Hard wiring your light should not be an issue. The rear wiring harness simply allows all the different wires going to the back to plug into one junction under the rear break light which provides seperate plugs for each of the lights at the rear including the break and turn signals. Just match up the wires and run them directly to the lights. Turn signals have one black and one purple wire and the rear break light I BELIEVE is one black, one red and one yellow.

Good luck.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:46 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I've wired a couple of Fatboy rear fenders among others. Hard wiring your light should not be an issue. The rear wiring harness simply allows all the different wires going to the back to plug into one junction under the rear break light which provides seperate plugs for each of the lights at the rear including the break and turn signals. Just match up the wires and run them directly to the lights. Turn signals have one black and one purple wire and the rear break light I BELIEVE is one black, one red and one yellow.

Good luck.
Thank You much Skeezmachine...knowing that just made life easier...Thanks again...

Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy1729
Thank You much Skeezmachine...knowing that just made life easier...Thanks again...
No worries.

Have you ever removed one of these fenders and checked out the wiring? It's really pretty basic when you break it down. The rear wiring harness is just a length of necessare wires for each of the rear lights. On one end is a plug to connect it to the main wiring harness under the seat and on the other end there is plug to connect it to the "motherboard" as I like to call it under the rear break light. This motherboard provides a seperate connection for each of the rear lights. The wire bundle runs through a length of foam conduit that is glued to the underside of the fender (usually off-center to the right side of the bike).

If you know how to remove the plug from either end of the rear wiring harness without cutting the wires (or you can cut them off if it doesn't matter to you) you may be able to just pull the wires out without having to remove the fender. Then you can just run your wires however you like from underneath the seat and directly to your lights.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
No worries.

Have you ever removed one of these fenders and checked out the wiring? It's really pretty basic when you break it down. The rear wiring harness is just a length of necessare wires for each of the rear lights. On one end is a plug to connect it to the main wiring harness under the seat and on the other end there is plug to connect it to the "motherboard" as I like to call it under the rear break light. This motherboard provides a seperate connection for each of the rear lights. The wire bundle runs through a length of foam conduit that is glued to the underside of the fender (usually off-center to the right side of the bike).

If you know how to remove the plug from either end of the rear wiring harness without cutting the wires (or you can cut them off if it doesn't matter to you) you may be able to just pull the wires out without having to remove the fender. Then you can just run your wires however you like from underneath the seat and directly to your lights.
Thanks again for all that great info...I really appreciate it...Take care...Ray...