Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a New Softail - Deluxe vs Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014 | 12:46 AM
PurdueAV2003
|
Novice
Default Buying a New Softail - Deluxe vs Heritage

I'm looking to purchase my first HD in the next couple weeks, and I have my choices narrowed down to either a 2014 Deluxe or 2014 Heritage. Here are a few factors that are weighing on the decision:

1. I'm going to be doing a lot of highway riding, so I definitely want a windshield. The Heritage, of course, includes the windshield, so if I went with a Deluxe, I'd have to add it on. (+1 Heritage)

2. Similarly, I'd want to add a sissy bar to the Deluxe for riding with my wife or one of my daughters or to strap my backpack to, where the Heritage already has the sissy bar installed. (+1 Heritage)

3. I know I will need saddlebags eventually, but I would only need them occasionally for longer trips. If I go with a Heritage, I'd definitely want to get either some Barebacks or the HD detachable kit, so I could take those things off when I'm not using them. With the Deluxe, I'd have to buy a set of removable bags, but may not have to buy them anytime soon. (+1 Deluxe)

4. The Heritage seems to be a more popular bike than the Deluxe. If I'm looking at a bike in the dealer's current inventory, would I have that much more room to negotiate either price or including the add-ons I want if I go with a Deluxe? (+? Deluxe)

I've briefly been on both bikes, and would probably be happy with either one. I'm down to nitpicking the details before I make a final decision. I'm an engineer, after all, and will analyze every bit of data I can get my hands on! So, any thoughts on my decision factors are welcome. Also, if you see something that maybe I've missed between the two that I should consider, what might those be?

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2014 | 12:53 AM
Jd Swiper
Road Master

Ohh No..No..No.. Not this again for the 140th time. Do a fricken search , will ya!

Old 03-17-2014 | 04:18 AM
dmlogs0
Advanced

Was almost sold on the Deluxe a while back because of this picture from the hd site. Way better styling than the Heritage imho. I held out for a Breakout though. More my style...

Attached Thumbnails Buying a New Softail - Deluxe vs Heritage-image-82219322.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014 | 04:29 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Buy one of each ! Problem solved.

Old 03-17-2014 | 06:20 AM
gchristopher9
Road Captain

I was sort of in the same boat as you and opted for the deluxe because the studded bags and seat on the heritage just weren't doing it for me. There are two other differences that aren't obvious that I thought I would mention for your consideration. One is the seat. The deluxe seat had me feeling like I was sitting up on top of the tank. From what I understand the heritage seat positions you a bit further away from the get go. I had my seat modified to push me back some. The other is the handlebar position. Again the stock deluxe setup had me feeling really cramped. I actually was able to swap them out for heritage bars and risers without changing cables but again I thought it was worth mentioning. All that being said, and having spent about $700 on a shield, sissy bar, and bags, I would still pick the deluxe over the heritage if I were doing it all again.

Old 03-17-2014 | 08:28 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Buy the quick detach kits for the bags, then you can turn your Heritage into a Deluxe.

Old 03-17-2014 | 08:57 AM
Microdoted
Cruiser

one breakout to rule them all

Old 03-17-2014 | 08:59 AM
patharley
Tourer

The heritage is more pratical but the deluxe paint scheme and solo look is unbeatable. Buy deluxe and put some quick attach saddle bag and widshield and you got the best ride.

Old 03-17-2014 | 08:59 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by PurdueAV2003
I'm looking to purchase my first HD in the next couple weeks, and I have my choices narrowed down to either a 2014 Deluxe or 2014 Heritage. Here are a few factors that are weighing on the decision:

1. I'm going to be doing a lot of highway riding, so I definitely want a windshield. The Heritage, of course, includes the windshield, so if I went with a Deluxe, I'd have to add it on. (+1 Heritage)

2. Similarly, I'd want to add a sissy bar to the Deluxe for riding with my wife or one of my daughters or to strap my backpack to, where the Heritage already has the sissy bar installed. (+1 Heritage)

3. I know I will need saddlebags eventually, but I would only need them occasionally for longer trips. If I go with a Heritage, I'd definitely want to get either some Barebacks or the HD detachable kit, so I could take those things off when I'm not using them. With the Deluxe, I'd have to buy a set of removable bags, but may not have to buy them anytime soon. (+1 Deluxe)

4. The Heritage seems to be a more popular bike than the Deluxe. If I'm looking at a bike in the dealer's current inventory, would I have that much more room to negotiate either price or including the add-ons I want if I go with a Deluxe? (+? Deluxe)

I've briefly been on both bikes, and would probably be happy with either one. I'm down to nitpicking the details before I make a final decision. I'm an engineer, after all, and will analyze every bit of data I can get my hands on! So, any thoughts on my decision factors are welcome. Also, if you see something that maybe I've missed between the two that I should consider, what might those be?

Thanks!
I went thru the same thought process as you.

I like the trim on the Deluxe better, but the Heritage had some of the things I was looking for.

For me, the Heritage seat is MUCH more comfortable. Also, the Heritage has more rear suspension travel than the Deluxe.

I ended up getting the Heritage and changing out some of the trim for the Deluxe style.

You can see a thread on what I did here- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...thank-you.html

As far as negotiating price, I do not limit myself to one dealership, check around, each one will negotiate differently based on their inventory.

Old 03-17-2014 | 09:14 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

I have both bikes and with mods they both have detachable windshields, detachable sissy bar, and quick detach saddlebags. The one thing that I tell everyone is that if you are 5-9+, the Deluxe stock seat will have to be modded or replaced as you are practically sitting on the tank in a cramped position. It's not a big deal to replace, just something to consider. Also, you can sell the stock Heritage saddlebags easily. I sold mine on Craigslist as I don't like studs/tassels etc.
SJ Ron

Quick Reply: Buying a New Softail - Deluxe vs Heritage