Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a New Softail - Deluxe vs Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014 | 09:16 AM
jam436
Supporter

For the measly $200 price difference, buy the Heritage.
Take the bags and windshield off and you have a Deluxe.
..and then, try adding those items later for $200...

Old 03-17-2014 | 10:14 AM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jd Swiper
Ohh No..No..No.. Not this again for the 140th time. Do a fricken search , will ya!
Don't ya just hate posts like this?

Seriously, I had the same question last year and went with the Deluxe. I would have been happy with either but the I like the retro style of the Deluxe a little better.

Old 03-17-2014 | 10:37 AM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Your logic is flawed and that is why your data is inconclusive. Instead outlining the flaws in your logic I will simply go by the numbers and categories. If money isn't a factor than you can get both and that would be the answer to the equation. If money is a factor than we go by the number. How much will it cost you to add a sissy bar, rider backrest, mounting equipment, passenger pegs or floorboards, saddlebags and mounting equipment, upgraded suspension since you will have a passenger and the deluxe having less travel in the suspension, windshield and mounting equipment, better seat, and the time it will take to do all that.

The heritage has it's own category since it is the only non cvo Harley bagger with a counterbalanced engine. It is also the only non cvo Harley bagger that comes with a sissy bar. The deluxe is a mostly solo boulevard cruiser such as the fatboys, slim, and breakout. The deluxe is the most beautiful bike Harley makes but it isn't made for long distance travel stock. If you want a bagger buy a bagger but if you have plenty of money to spend get either or both. It is that simple.

Last edited by Tailsfrommycrib; 03-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-17-2014 | 03:10 PM
humpbackbob
Cruiser

Think you will find that all softails have the counter balanced engines (96B and 103B) The touring bikes CVO or otherwise have rubber mounts. Otherwise you're about right vis-a-vis the Deluxe vs Heritage.......Anyways, isn't the Deluxe a "Girls Bike", ;-)

Old 03-17-2014 | 03:52 PM
erbssr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PurdueAV2003
I'm looking to purchase my first HD in the next couple weeks, and I have my choices narrowed down to either a 2014 Deluxe or 2014 Heritage. Here are a few factors that are weighing on the decision:

1. I'm going to be doing a lot of highway riding, so I definitely want a windshield. The Heritage, of course, includes the windshield, so if I went with a Deluxe, I'd have to add it on. (+1 Heritage)

2. Similarly, I'd want to add a sissy bar to the Deluxe for riding with my wife or one of my daughters or to strap my backpack to, where the Heritage already has the sissy bar installed. (+1 Heritage)

3. I know I will need saddlebags eventually, but I would only need them occasionally for longer trips. If I go with a Heritage, I'd definitely want to get either some Barebacks or the HD detachable kit, so I could take those things off when I'm not using them. With the Deluxe, I'd have to buy a set of removable bags, but may not have to buy them anytime soon. (+1 Deluxe)

4. The Heritage seems to be a more popular bike than the Deluxe. If I'm looking at a bike in the dealer's current inventory, would I have that much more room to negotiate either price or including the add-ons I want if I go with a Deluxe? (+? Deluxe)

I've briefly been on both bikes, and would probably be happy with either one. I'm down to nitpicking the details before I make a final decision. I'm an engineer, after all, and will analyze every bit of data I can get my hands on! So, any thoughts on my decision factors are welcome. Also, if you see something that maybe I've missed between the two that I should consider, what might those be?

Thanks!
You will sit better on the Heritage, lower CG. Also IMHO, the Heritage gives you more goodies for the dollar than any other bike HD sells. All you RAELL need to add is an engine guard.......course I'v added LOTS more to mine.lol

Old 03-17-2014 | 04:57 PM
gerjets
Road Master

With a lot of highway riding, I would recommend the Heritage. I take my windshield off once in awhile if I'm running errands around town. You will likely also find good use for the saddlebags.

Old 03-17-2014 | 05:52 PM
DavesBigBlue
Intermediate

I just bought a 2013 Heritage. Wind shield comes off, rear seat pillion comes off, had quick detach kit installed on saddle bags and sissy bar.

Take it all off and I have a deluxe. A bit taller handlebar but I'm 6'1" and ride very comfortable with them.

Old 03-17-2014 | 06:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member

For me I love the look of the leather and spots on a Heritage.

Not having ridden a Lux I can't say anything against them.. I do think there a lot of them that really look good with the Cali look, (lowered, solo seat, apes, and 39'' fishtail), but that wouldn't work for Grandma and Me the way we ride at all..

What I do know is our Heritage is IMO the best over-all bike of all the bikes I've owned and ridden in my 48 yrs of riding.

The Ergonomics of the Heritage is IMO the best of any Harley in stock form.
The ride is again, IMO is the best of any Softy in stock form.

If you want to take the bags and shield off, it'll take less than 5 mins. remove 6 bolts and 1 tug and there off..

We ride ours everyday we can. usually 2-4 hrs and the wife love's it. I go on 1 or 2 week long trips a yr (1500-2k miles and 6-7 days) and it has done everything I've wanted or needed her to.. and in comfort.

Only things I've added for better comfort is,,
For the wife,, got her the touring pillion and touring sissy bar pad. Then some Detachable sissy bar sideplates (easy to remove when you want to ride without the sissy bar)

For me, all I've done/needed or wanted is I've added some Nostalgia engine guards and some fully adjustable Hi-Way pegs (Love the HI-Way pegs)

Wrap Up--- between these two....
I thing either would be a great bike,

If you are wanting a bike that can be made into a show bike real easy and ride mostly local short trips and solo most of the time, then I'd favor the lux

If you're wanting a bike with great Ergo's without having to add and change a bunch of things that's a really great Town and Country bike that you can easily cruise the Hi-ways Day after Day and like the Leather and Spots,, then IMO you can't beat the Heritage.

Let us know later what you end up with and your thoughts..

ride safe
/

Last edited by oct1949; 03-17-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2014 | 07:05 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

As you have read, what most people like about the Deluxe is the styling. You buy the Heritage and you have the bags, windshield and backrest. It doesn't cost anything to remove them.

Buy the Deluxe and before you can remove the bags, windshield and backrest you have to spend $$$ to buy them.

The Heritage is the best value for the money and more comfortable for 2-up riding.

+2 Heritage. Just sayin

Post a picture of your Heritage after you buy it.

Old 03-17-2014 | 08:29 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

The Heritage is out the door the better value and better 2up long distance bike. The stock seat is one of the most comfortable that HD makes imo and the pillion is much more 2up friendly than the more narrow one on the Deluxe. An inch more shock travel on the Heritage means your wife will take a bit less of a hit when you go over the railroad tracks. You could probably drive the Heritage off the lot and get away with not changing anything for a long time.

That said, personally I like the styling of the Deluxe better (even the windshield looks better) and were we ever to go down to a one bike family, I would get rid of my Heritage before I would the wife's Deluxe.

Have you demoed the two bikes yet?. Even though they are built on the same frame they have their own distinctive feel and ride to them. Try them out and see if one impresses you more than the other. Seats and bags are easy to change, handlebars not so much. Dealer will want big bucks to to it.

Quick Reply: Buying a New Softail - Deluxe vs Heritage