Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy or?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fat Boy or?????

I had posted this thread under general Harley chat but just found this section. Sorry I am a little new here. I have just been approved for a new HD!! I was totally set on the Fat Boy. Then I walked into the dealership. I think I am still leaning towards the Fat Boy but I like the soft tail custom and the heritage classic too. I like the handle bars better on the custom. But the risers for the Fat Boy seem to lift them up and pull them back a little. Any comments or suggestions?

Old 03-23-2007, 12:29 AM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Fat Boy or?????

It's all on you. Since we don't know you and have no idea of your physical build and tastes it would be impossible to give you a recommendation.

I can tell you that my wife and I picked up an '05 Fat Boy and love it. That's us though!

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My advice here is to forget about handle bars, risers, seats, and so on. If you are like most of us you will be changeing out all of these parts anyway. I'd asked myself what kind of riding do I plan on doing? If you plan on long trips get something more suitable for touring or a model that accomadates bags and other luggage well (an FL softail or touring bike maybe). If you're looking at doing twisties and some local scootin' look at something more nimble and better handeling.

I'm guessing this will be your first bike based on the fact that you are judging a stock bike on the handle bars, etc. My apologies if I'm wrong but if that's the case and you like tooling around on things... trust me the fit of handle bars, seat, ... aren't that important because like most of us you'll be buying accessories and making your bike your 'own' soon after you pick it up!

Good luck with your selection!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wanted a Fatboy or Heritage Classic. I finally went with the Heritage because of the bags, windshield, and back rest. I also like the seat and bars better on the Heritage.

Try them all and buy what YOU like best.

Jim

Old 03-23-2007, 01:00 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Okay I am deciding on the Fat boy it looks like. My build is think but athletic build. I am 5'10 , 185. Gonna go with the risers first for the bars and the pad on the rear for the passenger. Out of money now!!

Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 AM
kishstl
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had both a Heritage and a Fatboy. Love em both. I like the way I feel like I'm sitting in the bike rather than on it.Agree with the previous post. Do not make a choice based on handelbars and risers, etc. While it seems crazy, you will spend money on these things after spending almost 20K on a bike.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 AM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get what you want! I had my heart set on the fatboy last year. I changed my mind 5 time's! but I got what I always wanted! the fatboy! don't let anyone change your mind!!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:01 AM
purple haze
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WELL I wrote you long responce on the joy's of FAT BOY'S but it was deleted when I tryed to post it I love FAT BOY'S because they fit me like tailored suit I'm 5'10 185 lbs. but also I agree with gabhart too, but you need to test ride one's you like do not let someone else spend your money, I do not know where you live but all harley dealer's are giving all day party on every saturday until end of March or longer, and it's test ride party, so you can ride any or all new 07's so I think you need to test ride party or not they want to sell you a bike!! BAD!! because of there work slow down and then 3 week strike so they have alot of making up to do.GOOD LUCK PURPLE HAZE.

[IMG]local://upfiles/24725/9A42DD2B6A724141A0C84E9C6A4C5886.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2007, 02:22 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I posted this same topic on the general harley discussion page. The Fatty with the Apes handle bars are awesome!!! That is what I am going to do!!!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If it were me I'd spend some time with the 'stock FatBoy', and then decide what modifications to make...

Quick Reply: Fat Boy or?????