Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy or?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:50 AM
MisterB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fat Boy or?????

Well, I don't think you're cray for considering the bars and the riser as a selling point. On my first Harley, I spent a ton of money and time switching to drag bars, because then I had to change my clutch cable length, brake cable, and throttle cables. I then had to change my mirrors because the stock ones looked strange with the setup. It all starts to add up, and personally I'd rather spend the funds on something else... which is why when it came time to buy another bike, it was refreshing to see the '07 Night Train already had the bars I like, and everything ready to go. I could then spend that money on other mods, and I absolutely love the bike.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:54 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you have noticed I have changed my mind again and leaning towards the Soft Tail Custom. Just love the feel of the handle bars better. Changing the Fat Boys bars is like $1000. The seat on the custom is way more comfortable and already has the back for the passenger. I just didn't like the spokes on the front tire on the Custom. I am just going to change that and I am done.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:07 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Like I said in your other thread. Worry about the big picture first, the small stuff can change easily enough. Plus you should look at some of the aftermarket stuff and not rely on harley for all your parts needs. Their markup is astronimical andyou can usually get the same style/quality parts from the aftermarket for a bunch less cash.

RE

Old 03-23-2007, 04:34 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

youcould ask for different rims/tires before you actually ride off with the bike from the dealer.... or even bars

Old 03-23-2007, 06:08 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Sun Harley in Thorton Colorado had no wheels to even look at for the Custom Soft Tail. The ape handlebars installed on the Fat Boy were about $750.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain

Fat Boys just plain rule, man! Get one and you will never regret it.
BA

Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

LOL. I am going to have one last sleep to think about this. Yesterday was Fat Boy, today was Soft Tail Custom, tomorrow will be..................................

Old 03-24-2007, 11:48 AM
kiddoc
Advanced

Since we're talking about fatboys, I will put my two cents in. When I purchased my 03 fatboy, I could not test drive any of them. I was between the Deuce and the fatboy. In the end, I went with the fatboy. I didn't like the bars on the bike because you lean forward quite a bit but I bought High back Roadking bars and didn't have to change the cables. It allows me to sit back comfortably and they look cool. I don't have the pics to post yet but will soon

Old 03-24-2007, 02:33 PM
BULL65
Intermediate

Fat Boy is the way to go!!! Hmmmm Does Harley make another Bike???I agree with the previous posts. Buy what YOU want, and change it to make it yours!!!!!

Old 03-25-2007, 11:24 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior

I think you're probably where I was about 2 months back. I have loved Fat Boys since I first saw one, back in the 90's. However, when it came right down to getting my first Harley, I was looking at the Fatty, the Heritage, the Street Glide, the Fat Bob, the Electra Glide Classic, the RK, and around and around in circles. It was downright silly. I was with my wife and son. What I figured would be a 1 hour visit, turned into 3, as I couldn't decide. My son finally (rather mockingly) said, to me, "Dad, all you've talked about for years is getting a Fat Boy, now we're hear, and you're worried it isn't the right bike for you. Just get one, and shut up!" I finally bit the bullet, and made a deal on a VERY gently used '04 the dealer had on the floor. Still I fretted and worried, wondering if I'd made the right decision. Last Saturday, in 2C temps, I rode it home 135 kms from the dealership. All worries disappeared about 10 minutes down the road. I LOVE THIS BIKE!! I know I'll have it for a very long time to come. On the other hand, as others have said, in the end, it is going to be your bike...you have to get what is right for you. Regardless of what you get, I'm sure you'll be happy. I am biased, but I say go with the Fatty. If you don't like it, you can always trade it in for a Heritage in a year or two, and not be too much further behind the 8 ball. My 2 cents...

Quick Reply: Fat Boy or?????