Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody own a Pitbull Motorcycle lift??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014 | 09:08 AM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skiddd
In the review they don't talk about the aluminum harbor freight jack they only cover the steel one. it looks well made............
It looks nice but when the bike is up on it the darn thing is wobbly and moving it around can be a little bit scary because of the wobble. I strap my bike to the lift when it is up, don't want the bike falling off. I got this lift for our '06 XL1200C and it worked OK but the wobble was their even with the lighter bike...

Old 03-12-2014 | 09:25 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior

I used to own a pitbull lift. Great lift for a smooth garage floor.

BUT, I've moved on to my dream lift. Saw one here on HDFourms years and years ago and them my quest began. Searched Craigslist and Ebay for years to find one cheap.

Finally found one last year... See it HERE

Old 03-12-2014 | 09:50 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

When I first read this thread I just knew instead of only "pitbull" responses this was going to turn out to be a "jack" comparison thread.

Business is a little slow today, so I'll jump into the fire.

I will assume you don't have any jack now.
Here's my opinion:
Harbor Freight steel/Sears Red Jack:
Pros: solid frame, low price (~$90), fairly stable, gets the job done
Cons: Asian made, cheap bottle jack, limited warranty, weight makes it difficult to hang on the wall

Harbor Freight aluminum/Sears Yellow Jack:
Pros: fairly stable, light weight, can easily be hung on the wall, gets the job done
Cons: Asian made, seems a bit to lightweight, medium priced (~$180), cheap bottle jack, limited warranty

Pitbull:
Pros: USA made, solid built, extremely stable, lifetime warranty
Cons: High price (~$500), takes up a lot space, too heavy to hang on the wall

JS Jacks:
Pros: USA made, solid built, extremely stable, lifetime warranty
Cons: High price (on sale now for $400), takes up a lot space, too heavy to hang on the wall

Final conclusion:
In my opinion the Sears red jack is the best jack out there for the average user. I had that jack for a year and had absolutely no problems with it. The primary issue I had was that it was just too heavy to hang on the wall, but that's what made it so stable. I came across a Sears yellow jack for $65 and couldn't pass up the deal. After comparing the red to the yellow, I sold the red for $50 only because I could easily hang the yellow jack out of the way however I do miss the stability of the red jack. If money and floor space wasn't an issue; based on all the reviews I'd buy the JS Jacks.

So getting back the original question; if I could get either the JS Jack or Pitbull for ~$200 I'd have to buy either. For more than $200, I'd stick with the Sears red jack.

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-12-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2014 | 03:38 PM
supermoto292
Cruiser

I had a Pitbull for my street glide, very stable and easy to roll it around with bike on it. But what I found out is I only used it a handful of times a year, and the rest of year had to store it , and it is heavy as Hell and takes up a ton of space. For my new fatboy I just went and bought harbor freight one last week for $59. Does not look bad for price . This time around $59 sounded better than $500 as much as I use mine. I am not planing on jumping all over bike when on lift.

Old 03-12-2014 | 03:56 PM
supermoto292
Cruiser

I just watched that video now I want a j&s jack and take the harbor freight one back. The pitbull just to big, been there done that . The j&s looks bad ***

Old 03-12-2014 | 05:18 PM
supermoto292
Cruiser

I am going to order a j&s jack this week are there any deals going on right now

Old 03-12-2014 | 07:53 PM
Bloozmann
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skiddd
Check out this comparison between the 3 jacks(Pitbull, J & S and Harbor Freight) good info in it.... click the link, its a 10 minute video but gives a lot of info on the 3....

Motorcycle Lift Comparison - YouTube

I have a J&S, and it's everything they say it is. When not in use, I just roll it under the workbench, tighten the brake, and that's that

But no matter what jack ya have, here is a tip..When leaving your bike elevated on the jack, make sure you engage the safety bars and release the pressure off the jack...I usually release just enough pressure to relieve the stress from the jack, but then re tighten it so that its a last ditch effort in case something else fails and the jack starts to decend on it's own

Last edited by Bloozmann; 03-12-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2014 | 10:24 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain

No issues with my $50 Harbor Freight jack. My Deluxe is somewhat lighter than the touring model in the video, but I haven't experienced the bouncing around shown on the video and I can move the bike around on the jack just fine.

Old 03-12-2014 | 11:51 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by gforrest2
No issues with my $50 Harbor Freight jack. My Deluxe is somewhat lighter than the touring model in the video, but I haven't experienced the bouncing around shown on the video and I can move the bike around on the jack just fine.

I know quite a few people that own the Harbor Freight jack and have had no problems with it at all, I must have just got a bad one.............

Old 03-13-2014 | 09:36 PM
harleyheaven
|
Road Master

Just to bring a little clarity. I have a Red Craftsman Jack and it suits me fine. I have a chance to buy a Pitbull and was looking for opinions. I looked at them today in Daytona and I need to find out exactly which model he has. The Dyna (wider model) wold probably suit me better because it is wider and would allow me to drop my Shotgun Shock when servicing. It wi;ll have to be the right thing for the right price for me to buy it. Thanks for the replies so far.

Quick Reply: Anybody own a Pitbull Motorcycle lift??