Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting a Sundowner Seat on a Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mounting a Sundowner Seat on a Fatboy

Hello,

Thinking about getting a Sundowner on my Fatboy for the longer rides. Have been searching on ebay looking for a good deal. I'm curious as to how the seat mounts at the fender. My bike now has a bolt that goes from the top down into a captive nut in the fender. Would I have to remove that nut and install a bolt up from the bottom and into the seat? Or is there some sort of bracket that you use to mount it in the rear? Hoping to still keep it quick and easy to change seats. Thanks.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 AM
tbroenick97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mounting a Sundowner Seat on a Fatboy

got one for the girl. seat is very comfortable and she loves it

HOWEVER!!!!

warning itll scratch your fender up bad. i does mount very easy- just hooks under the front like the stock one does and bolts onto the same fastener in the rear fender that the stock one does- very easy but not as secure as id like it, and it did some nasty damage to my rear fender....

not too happy about that

Old 09-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain

Thanks. How about some felt or something glued to the bottom of the seat?

Old 09-08-2005, 03:57 PM
tbroenick97
Tourer

yeah, i came up with several ideas, even bought some special water proof boat carpet...

the seat clearance is just too tight, the bracket that holds it onto the back rests right flat on the fender and the seat also rubs on multiple spots- no good. ive talked to several people and dealerships and you name it for suggestions, it really chaped me that a HD seat on a stock fender would do that (my dear '05 ) but nothing seems to quite satisfy

the best i came up with is buying a few of those clear plastic fender "protect" stickers that come from HD when the bike is brand new, just pile them on eachother but then its looks like @#$% when you have the solo seat on...

hopeless but extremely comfortable

Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 PM
augason
Advanced

Dave,
I have an "03" Fat Boy and there was a thin, clear mat that was stuck to the fender. This mat seemed like a polyurathane
film that could be taken off and re-applied a few times before the stick came out of the adhesive. I am supprised that the
dealer didn't tell you about this. I just looked it up in my parts calalog and its called " protective tape" easy enough it is
part # 59567-00A Have you taken off your tail section to see If you have this already?

Your ride is very nice and it is a shame that HD does not have a special two up seat for the S. E. Fat Boy. As far as your
choice of the sundowner, I feel it is a good one. As any rider will tell you, the lady will have a problem with an uncomfortable
seat. She may not say so in the beginning but I promise you, you will hear about it if you dont make her comfortable. I made
the mistake of going for a Badlander and I did hear about it. I have 6 seats now in all and the one the lady likes is a Corbin
Lady Gunfighter, she sits up so she can see and the Pillion is wide enough for her and the look is still low profile enough for me.
Good Luck, Mark

Old 09-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain

Thanks for the replies. I already have one of those clear protective stickers on my fender to protect the fender from the chrome pillion. Maybe I'll pick up a couple more to be safe. My biggest concern is the metal grind paint finish and how if you compromise the clear coat, the bare metal will rust........
That and I want the bike to be able to swap seats back and forth without a lot of hassle---removing or adding protection, etc.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:21 PM
augason
Advanced

Dave,
You are right about the film that is on the bike and how it may not protect the fender. I think you are on the right track
with some other way of protection. How about some felt glued to the bottom of every seat you want to use. The deal with
the paint and clear coat is always a valid concern. The clear coat is fairly strong but what I have done with minor nicks and
scratches is to take your ladies fingernail polish clear coat and dab it on the nick or chip, at least it will stop the rust from starting. You have the honor of having a new product and all the potential problems have yet to be delt with. Good luck
and again nice ride. Mark

Old 09-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain

The seat came in today!! Had already picked up some adhesive backed felt squares that are 5x7 or something. The guy at HD assured me that the protective sticker would be enough. He said most guys pull the sticker off when they get a new bike. Mine is still there and in good condition. The felt seems to fit fine. Hope it works ok.
I'm going out for a ride shortly but just sitting on the seat reminds me of my E Z chair in the living room.
Thanks again for all the advice.
My signature photo reflects the new seat. How many guys install the grab strap?

Old 09-10-2005, 09:31 PM
augason
Advanced

That is a good looking seat! Man oh man I bet the passanger is going to be happy also.
Yours is the first S.E. Fatty I have seen without the single seat and I think it works.
I think I am finding myself a bit jealous. If you ever get that 6-speed I think you will be over the top.
Nice. Mark

Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain

I rode it a bit last night and put 130+ miles on the seat today. Outstanding. I'm sure there are better seats but wow, what an improvement over the mostly spartan, stock SE seat.....
No scratches on the rear fender yet.

I'm sure I could ride all day on this seat.

Dave