Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big radius ,big trouble, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007 | 10:24 PM
johnny night train
|
Advanced
Default big radius ,big trouble, need help

The other day I started my bike to let it warm up, I have it stored in a heated garage so I do this from time to time. The bike was waxed recently aswell so I was just using a detail cloth and lightly wiping the bike over,WHEN not relizing touched the exhaust with the cloth, damn thing stuck on, so after the bike cooled I tryed everything I got it off, but with all the F#@#$%^ [:@]around the chrome is a little hazey and there are small light scratches around the area.

My question is : Is there anyway, to buff the scratches out and bring the shine back, anything! products, ideas, I have to get the scratches out, it is driving me mad[:-]a set of 2 year old big radius and this happens![:@]

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2007 | 10:29 PM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior
Default RE: big radius ,big trouble, need help

If you used an abrassive, and scratched the chrome, there's not much you can do, short of re-chroming. You may minimize the effect of the scratches by polishing it, but the deeper scratches won't come out. I did the same thing when my wind pants melted on my pipes. I tried a very fine steel wool and promply scarred my pipes forever.

If you have burnt and melted material on your pipes, I have had success with turtlewax chrome polish (believe it or not) and a soft towel. Patienceis the key to success. It takes a lot of rubbing.

Some guys have used Easy-Off oven cleaner to do this, but they caution even a little on the paint will cause big problems.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2007 | 07:55 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe you can just replace the one heat shield that is scratched? I'm not sure if they sell them separatly, but when I installed mine, all the chrome was heat shield, 4 of them, 2 front, 2 rear.

Old 03-22-2007 | 08:31 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior

I have had good luck removing burnt on $hit with simichrome. It has a very fine abrassive in it, almost like toothpaste.

Old 03-22-2007 | 08:53 AM
RjCapp
Road Master

That sucks.
Best bet isa new shield forabout 120.00 shipped. I had to replace onelast month. They tell you 6 weeks but itarrivedin a week.
I have No idea how to get the scratches out.

In the past I have used the finest steel wool and vasoline to clean chrome pipes onmy Banshee 4 wheeler. It worked for removing burnt on clothing , rain gear, etc..... No guarantees it wont scratch though.

Hope it buffs out for you

Old 03-22-2007 | 09:13 AM
sinbadjmu
Cruiser

You got a Night Train, make the best of an oops moment, take em off, get em blasted, then powdercoated black! (just my take )

Old 03-22-2007 | 12:42 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

very good idea go black.I did the same thing on a set of old pipes and i used 00 steel wool and didnt scratch a thing it took it right off but black would be better in my book i mean evrybody and ther brother has big rads so a black set would be off the chizzy

Old 03-22-2007 | 09:58 PM
purple haze
Road Master

THANK YOU.

Old 03-23-2007 | 04:27 AM
AGRV8D
Road Master

whatthe****didyoujustsayinthatlongassrunonsentence ?

Old 03-23-2007 | 11:57 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

I think he was talking about when HE killed his battery and so on so on<has alot to do with jonny ? huh [sm=pcwhack.gif]

ORIGINAL: AGRV8D

whatthe****didyoujustsayinthatlongassrunonsentence ?

Quick Reply: big radius ,big trouble, need help