Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handgrips

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
bryan052564
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default handgrips

Hi all
Just did my HD(hundred dollars) buying stuff at a 20% off sale.Bought some handgrips don't have a manual how hard is it to put on myself?
Took it out yesterday beautiful sunny day but 32 degrees out
froze my a%$ off

Old 03-21-2007, 10:34 PM
jhugs92
Advanced
Default RE: handgrips

throttle is a pia because the the ferrules, but it can be done. i just used the directions with the grips, not the manual. good luck.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:55 PM
jbt
Tourer

If you're taking off the stock grips, the left is probably glued on. After loosening the clutch lever and switch housing (to get at the grip), you'll want to shove a very thin screwdriver or similar under the grip, and work it around. That, and some elbow grease twisting the grip, will get it off. Speaking only for myself, I do not glue grips. If you need/want lube and sticky stuff, use good ol' hair spray. Make sure you clean the bar first from the old glue residue. Scothcbrite works pretty well there. The new grip can then be muscled on.
For the throttle grip, insert a small piece of cardboard between the brake lever and the perch, then remove the lever clamp completely (gets it out of the way). The switch housing also needs to come off. Once those are off, the throttle cables need to be loosened (a few inches down the cables- pull back the rubber boot), then the cables can be CAREFULLY (see above post about the little demonic brass ferrules) removed from the grip. Those little $#&%!'s will want to fly. Once the cables are off the grip, it'll slip right off. Replacing the cables will test your patience as you juggle the cable, the ferrule, the switch housing (it's hanging around annoyingly) and the grip, but it WILL go back together. Once the grip is reassembled, the switch housing and brake lever can be put back together- careful not to pinch any wires. Readjust your cables to where the throttle 'feels' right, and you're done!
It is a pain in the ***, but really not 'hard' at all. Good luck, and keep your sense of humor!

BTW, I've done mine twice now, and a friend's Fatboy once. The Fatty took about twenty minutes- experience helps!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 AM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dont lose those throttle and idle wire end thingy on the throttleend i dont think anyone sells them.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:34 AM
sully78
Intermediate

I ve done 3 sets, not to hars took about 20 min the last time. Also you need to take some card board or something that you can use to keep the brake lever engaged, squeeze the brake lever and shove the object into the opening on the front side of the lever, because there is a little tab that can brake off if you dont do this. I just cut off the old clutch lever side handle with a razor, screw it, its not likely you'll use them again.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 PM
flst06
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DId mine a few weeks ago w/o the manual. Agree with the razor. After spending some time with solvents to try to get it off (for possible re-use) I ended up cutting it off with a razor anyway.

Make sure the throttle cables line up in the little channels before you buttin everything back up.

Good luck!

Don

Old 03-22-2007, 03:32 PM
jamesf0622
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did mine, and it wasn't operly difficult. Elbow grease and a screwdriver works well, like what was already said. I didn't use cardboard for the brake, however I was very careful about the throttle cables. That was the only thing I was worried about, but it really wasn't difficult. Just take your time.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Drtbag
Tourer

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

dont lose those throttle and idle wire end thingy on the throttleend i dont think anyone sells them.
A very good point! VERY CAREFULLY take the throttle housing off and look for the brass pivots on the end of the cables. They will come lose and fall, pay attention to how they go in.
The switch is very easy, just pay attention to how it comes apart.
Also on another note. DO NOT drop the new throttle tube on the floor. I have done it twice and both times as luck would have it, The end that the brass pivot attaches to broke.[:@].