Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pegs instead of floorboards?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014 | 05:06 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

I have rode with both boards and pegs and prefer pegs over boards, thats why they make both. With any Harley you can make any model fit you. Thats the beauty of them..

Old 02-27-2014 | 06:44 AM
peg20
Road Master

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
I have rode with both boards and pegs and prefer pegs over boards, thats why they make both. With any Harley you can make any model fit you. Thats the beauty of them..

The answers on this thread should tell you that some like pegs and some like boards, both are possible on pretty much every bike, but more importantly, that you might surprise yourself if you try the option you weren't considering. Ignore the foot placement and buy the bike you want. Ride it for a few hundred miles and THEN make your decision about what you want to change.

Old 02-27-2014 | 08:56 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I've been a peg guy since day one. Aside from that, I hate the way floorboards look...but that's me.

Old 02-27-2014 | 03:29 PM
Carolina Joe
Cruiser

I felt the same way about the floorboards when I bought my Slim. I figured I'd change to pegs once I got the bike.

To make a long story short, I love the floorboards ! It didn't take very long for me to get used to the boards and my feeling now, is to hell with pegs ! I like the boards that much better. The boards are much more flexible in foot positioning. I like to be able to move my feet around and getting used to the brake pedal (my main concern) was a breeze.

I would try them out for a few days b/4 I changed them.

CJ

Old 02-27-2014 | 10:33 PM
acman308
Road Master

Tell her not to ride any real distance rides with the boards.

I hate the look of them but i made the mistake of putting on a lot of miles before swapping so i never made the swap. Boards "spoil" you fast.

Old 02-28-2014 | 05:14 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by peg20

The answers on this thread should tell you that some like pegs and some like boards, both are possible on pretty much every bike, but more importantly, that you might surprise yourself if you try the option you weren't considering. Ignore the foot placement and buy the bike you want. Ride it for a few hundred miles and THEN make your decision about what you want to change.
I agree with that, but is it a matter of choice. For the money you pay for these motorcycles buy what you want to look at as any can be fit to you, ride then decide

Old 03-04-2014 | 09:59 PM
2WHEELFREAK
Road Master

Bought a new 100th Anniv Fat Boy in '03. First time with floorboards. Took a while to get used to, but I immediately noticed the difference on longer rides and enjoyed the boards much more than pegs. The floorboards look correct on the right bikes. I now have a Night Train, and I wouldn't want boards on it, only pegs.

Old 03-21-2014 | 06:25 PM
Ayelith
Intermediate

Hi all! (The girlfriend here) I ended up doing some test rides and for now prefer the forward control pegs. Perhaps once we start doing some longer distance rides I may think about switching to boards but we'll see. Thanks for all the advice, it's been great to hear everyone's thoughts and perspectives! I ended up ordering a 2014 Sportster 1200 Custom, and just rode it home last night. Now to start working on it!!

Old 03-22-2014 | 02:01 AM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer

I recently went from a Nightrain to a '13 Fatboy. I liked the bike but I HATE floorboards. A set of '08 stock Nightrain forward controls bolted right up with no issues. I don't have pics cause I just took them off for powdercoating but didn't have any issues with the install. I'll post pics in a week or two when I put them back on.

Old 03-22-2014 | 07:35 AM
spydyr
Road Captain

When I first got my '09 Fatboy I had plans of switching it to pegs, because I didn't really care for the look of the boards. But, they began to grow on me. Now 5 years later I still have the boards and love them. For a while, the wife rode on the back, and she had me put passenger boards on, and she said it was a lot more comfortable than the pegs. Now she has her own Heritage, and I still have my boards... wouldn't go back to pegs.

Of course, each has their own style, but my recommendation is to do the old classic don't change anything for the first month of riding. Go for the look and feel of the motorcycle she wants, then start customizing it.

Quick Reply: Pegs instead of floorboards?