Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pegs instead of floorboards?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014 | 12:52 PM
tgrey
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Harley makes a kit to swap out boards for pegs. Both boards and pegs use the same frame mounts
Great to know, that means our salesman was wrong.

@NDBadlands4-2: She tried to sit on a Nightrain, but it was far too long for her. She has short legs, needs something lower and more compact like the slim or fatboy-lo.

@peg20: She felt like with her short legs she couldn't really fit her feet flat on the boards, so it was actually less comfortable. Plus she felt like she had more options for moving her feet around, less constricted with the pegs. She'll be doing some test rides tho.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 02-26-2014 | 01:04 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tgrey
Great to know, that means our salesman was wrong.

@NDBadlands4-2: She tried to sit on a Nightrain, but it was far too long for her. She has short legs, needs something lower and more compact like the slim or fatboy-lo.

@peg20: She felt like with her short legs she couldn't really fit her feet flat on the boards, so it was actually less comfortable. Plus she felt like she had more options for moving her feet around, less constricted with the pegs. She'll be doing some test rides tho.

Thanks for the help everyone!
I think she would really benefit from test rides. I felt the same way as her and didn't really like the idea of floorboards until I rode a slim. They are very comfortable and have plenty of options for foot placement. The only problem is they do affect the lean angle of the bike. If you try to really carve a corner you will drag the boards pretty easily.

Old 02-26-2014 | 01:33 PM
JRuss
Cruiser

She won't get much lean in on a Fatboy anyways.
But yeah, just get the Harley kit.
I personally found much more room and placement options on floorboards versus the pegs on my sporty.

Old 02-26-2014 | 01:54 PM
Blummis08
3rd Gear

Hey I need some help.... I recently moved up from my sportster custom to a heritage softail classic. I have Vance Hines pipes (sound great). The issues is girl wants me to change the pegs to floor board type. She found a set of Kuryakyn flat boards the fit the softail.. The issue is when the right side is down it hits the pipes. I went to the HD dealer to find an extension. They could not find any unless to I replaced the mounting bracket and to do that they said I need to remove the pipes. This will cost $300. Is there any simple extensions that will fit. I just need to extend them About 1 1/2 inches. Thank you off any help

Old 02-26-2014 | 01:57 PM
bigzig89
Novice

like said before they make a kit. other option for the night train is to drop the rear an inch. makes seat height the same as the lo or slim.

just my two cents however, having owned both a night train and a fat boy lo don't knock the floor boards just yet. have her give them a chance maybe ride with them for a couple of months or so. I know I wish I had mine back on the long rides.

Old 02-26-2014 | 02:40 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member

I had my 1st experience with floorboards for the 1st time some 25 years ago on my Old 70 Electra glide. I have never gone back to pegs since. I can move my feet around SO much better with boards. Just my .02 on the topic.

Old 02-26-2014 | 02:43 PM
tgrey
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I had my 1st experience with floorboards for the 1st time some 25 years ago on my Old 70 Electra glide. I have never gone back to pegs since. I can move my feet around SO much better with boards. Just my .02 on the topic.
Yup, you guys don't have to convince *me*... I was already considering them for my sportster, especially if I start doing longer "touring" rides on it. But so far I've been really happy with my forward controls, so I'm not in a big rush to swap out yet.

Old 02-26-2014 | 03:33 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 on the opposite, Pegs were just wrong for my height (5'9).

Old 02-26-2014 | 10:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member

at first I didn't like the boards either.. but in a very short time I grew to love them..
maybe try them, then if not, change them out...

Old 02-26-2014 | 11:44 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blummis08
Hey I need some help.... I recently moved up from my sportster custom to a heritage softail classic. I have Vance Hines pipes (sound great). The issues is girl wants me to change the pegs to floor board type. She found a set of Kuryakyn flat boards the fit the softail.. The issue is when the right side is down it hits the pipes. I went to the HD dealer to find an extension. They could not find any unless to I replaced the mounting bracket and to do that they said I need to remove the pipes. This will cost $300. Is there any simple extensions that will fit. I just need to extend them About 1 1/2 inches. Thank you off any help
VTwin Goodies -- I have them on all my bikes (rider) and one set on the passenger floorboard. They move you out about 1". SJ Ron

Quick Reply: Pegs instead of floorboards?