Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes???

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 PM
brockND
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apes???

I recently purchased a softail slim. This is the first bike of the many I have been through that I have ever wanted to put apes on and I am just looking for a little advice. I am pretty set on the carlini gangster's but I am torn between 16's and 14's. I am not sure if it is the law most everywhere but here they can not be above your shoulders and the police will take any advantage to pull you over in my oil trash infested little town(I am also oil trash so no offence). I am 6' tall 200 pounds with a little longer arms then normal I would say. I'm sure no one can take those details and tell me the answer, but someone give me a good way to measure? Is it as simple as measuring up from the clamp 16 inches and see where your hand sits???

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM
07 chopper
Cruiser

Don't forget the risers measurements to add to the apes.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 PM
piper1978
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most bars use three measurements Rise, Width, and Pull Back. The rise is just as you said, how high your hands are going to be from the center of the risers that are mounted to the upper triple clamp. (keep in mind the risers will raise the bars ie 14" rise bars with a 3" riser setup will result in 17" total rise from the triple clamp) Width is just that, how wide your hands will be apart from each other at the grips. Pull back is how far back the grips will come to you as you sit on the bike with the bars mounted vertical.

If you are looking to keep yourself legal, have a buddy measure from your hands at you desired and legal riding position and measure to the center of your riser setup. this will give you your total rise that you need. if you need 16" total rise and can only get 14" rise bars and have 1" risers then to get 16" you will need the 14" rise bars and a 2" riser set. hope that helps

Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the 14" gangsters on mine with 1.5" risers. Those bars run about 1.5" tall so keep that in mind. I think you could go with either and be happy.

Order the bars you think you want, mount the risers to the trees with the top caps off and place the bars in the risers to see how they feel. Just be sure to tape up the area of the bars that sits in the clamp first to avoid any scratching of the finish. Carlini will let you exchange them as long as there is no damage from mounting.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

I believe the reason everyone says the Carlinis run tall is because they are measured center to center, rather than bottom of the lower bar, to top of the upper bar. Best way to decide on bar height is have a friend help you. Sit on the bike with a broomstick in your hands and hold it where you want your bars to end up. Have the friend measure from the risers to the broomstick.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

It is simple. If you want the Gangsters and don't want any chance of being hassled by those do nothing SOB's get the 14's.

If you feel like pushing it and MAYBE getting away with it, get the 16's. With the risers they will probably be a c**t hair taller than your shoulders.

For the record, I HATE DEVIL's LAKE!!!! POS cop tried to ruin my life when I was there many years ago by trying to lie his *** off about what happened during a traffic stop, then destroyed the dash cam video that would have proved he perjured himself during the deposition after I lawyered up. Crooked POS...I got the last laugh though.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Ronin99
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had 14 carlini evil apes on my slim and glad i went with them and not 16. it's perfect combo of all day comfort (arms/hands never went numb) and height. because of the low slim seat height it makes them feel that much taller. i'm 6ft with long arms and legs.

vote: 14's

Old 02-26-2014, 02:10 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had no experience with apes despite having rode for many years. I first bought the 16" Gangsters and on the day of the install a guy pulled into the shop with 16" and 1.5" riser. I sat on his bike and knew instantly they were to tall for me. I exchanged them for the 14" and I couldn't be happier with them. They are right at the edge of being legal. A real ***** could probably ticket me but if I ever go where I think there will be a problem I could probably roll them back a tad and be legal. I could also top out my SS and be legal too. Good luck and let us know what you go with and how much you like them. Food for thought, go all internal, it looks so bad *** and very clean up front too.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:42 PM
brockND
Cruiser

thanks for everyone chiming in. I think my decision is 14" gangsters with 1.5" risers. I have like 2 months of winter left here (if im lucky) so ordering bars now. let me hear some suggestions for where to order my wires, cables, lines....????? I am loving this. never have I been apart something like this where ppl can actually help you. all my past experience is order it and if it doesn't fit.... start cutting it up.. haha. thanks again

Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM
stroud
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carlini 16" original apes

does anybody have any pictures of their bikes with carlini's original apes?

Quick Reply: Apes???