Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grab strap, Two up seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
mean green
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Grab strap, Two up seat

Quick question for anyone in the know. I just picked up a Harley Tallboy seat for my 06 Deluxe off Ebay. I was looking through the Harley catalog and it said that a two up seat needs a grab strap. My question is this grap strap solely for the passenger, or does it help with securing the seat. Any info would be appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Sleeko (04-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:22 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Grab strap, Two up seat

the grab strap is supposed to be so the passenger has something to hold on to. IMHO its a totally crap concept. To hold onto it the pass would have to scoot farther back on the seat and lean forward to grab a hold of a strap right behind the riders butt. Sounds comfy huh? Especially when she can just press her chest into you and wrap her arms around your waist...

RE

Old 03-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The strap is actually DOT approved, so when they sell the seat, they must include it. Not everyone installs it, or removes it when they 1st buy the bike.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:33 PM
mean green
Road Captain
Received 101 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I understand the strap is just for the passenger, it is not needed to secure the seat to the bike?

The following users liked this post:
Sleeko (04-21-2024)
Old 03-21-2007, 12:38 PM
DickGrayson
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my FXST, the grab strap wraps around the middle of the seat and is fastened to a bolt on the fender. I guess it technically helps to hold the seat on, but I removed it a long time ago and never had a problem with it being off. It just got in the way when I needed to remove the seat to access the fuses and battery and added an extra step in seat removal.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It does not hold or help hold the seat in place. It is strictly for the passenger to hang on to. I belive the proper term is the "oh ****" handle.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mrkicks
It does not hold or help hold the seat in place. It is strictly for the passenger to hang on to. I belive the proper term is the "oh ****" handle.
All true, but its also required as part of the basic equipment in some states for yearly safety inspections.

About 25 years ago here in New York they actually tried to pass a bill that would have mandated seat belts on bikes. What a bunch of idiots, the last place any biker wants to be is strapped TO the bike in an accident.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:46 PM
garyosullivan
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya,

Does anyone know where I can get a passenger grab strap for my Harley Davidson 52000294 Hammock Touring Seat (Fat Boy)? The part number would be appreciated.
Many thanks.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:51 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mean green
Quick question for anyone in the know. I just picked up a Harley Tallboy seat for my 06 Deluxe off Ebay. I was looking through the Harley catalog and it said that a two up seat needs a grab strap. My question is this grap strap solely for the passenger, or does it help with securing the seat. Any info would be appreciated.
I'm curious to see how that particular seat looks on the bike. I've got the Signature seat and the strap is attached to the seat itself, not the bike.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:34 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 640 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by mean green
Originally Posted by Sleeko
I'm curious to see how that particular seat looks on the bike. I've got the Signature seat and the strap is attached to the seat itself, not the bike.

Well, don't hold your breath ... that was 17 years ago

​​​​​​​.

Last edited by Harley_ish; 04-21-2024 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Grab strap, Two up seat