Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying tank console?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014 | 09:14 PM
slim12
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Motown Strag
Get a dremel with cut off wheels and chop it down. Wont even matter if you dont get it perfect since it has a seal but you might need to shorten the seal a little by cutting a segment out (in front, behind the bars would be less noticeable). If so put it back together with a single pin pushed into each side and some rtv in the middle to knit it back together. You can put a chunk of clay under your speedo and press the dash back down to see how much clearance you need. Mark a line with a silver sharpie and go to work.

How much is it bugging you? You have the best stock dash in a long time in my opinion.
It bothers me whenever i look at it in the side profile. I agree, the design of the dash is sexy, its just the height of the gauge part. The bike screams sleek low profile and that thing is stickin up higher then the risers.

But so you think it will it still fit right after the forward part is cut down? My biggest fear in doing it is the back part of the console lifting and not sitting tight against the tank

Old 02-18-2014 | 09:17 PM
slim12
|
Tourer

maybe i should just find someone selling their console and just go for it lol

Old 02-18-2014 | 09:50 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stone Cliff
C'mon Cliff, tell us how you really feel.

Old 02-18-2014 | 11:14 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Slim12, I can't open that link but I have the RWD dash on my night train. I wouldn't say it's any lower profile, just appears that way from some angles

Attached Thumbnails Modifying tank console?-image-2395206021.jpg   Modifying tank console?-image-632548453.jpg  
Old 02-19-2014 | 08:16 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by slim12

But so you think it will it still fit right after the forward part is cut down? My biggest fear in doing it is the back part of the console lifting and not sitting tight against the tank
I thought about doing this before I went with the blackline dash. What it came down to was not just speedo clearance. It's clearance for everything in the dash. Ignition switch, idiot lights, speedo, wiring and connectors. The speedo might have an inch clearance, but to drop it that inch you'll also need ample clearance under the ignition switch which sits much closer to the tank.

Remove your dash panel and place a straight edge across it side to side. This will give you an idea of clearance for the physical components. Pay attention as you remove it as to where the connectors are located and factor those in as well.

Or look on eBay for a used takeoff and start grinding away, worst case you wasted a few bucks, but sometimes it's just fun to experiment and throw some sparks around the garage!

Old 02-19-2014 | 02:26 PM
slim12
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by jreichart
Or look on eBay for a used takeoff and start grinding away, worst case you wasted a few bucks, but sometimes it's just fun to experiment and throw some sparks around the garage!
I thats what im gonna do. Take some measurements and hope for the best lol