Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Softail Breakout Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Jeff71
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, nice build head_hunter! "Safety third" is my new mantra around the shop for now.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:20 PM
head_hunter
Cruiser
Default Bike is pretty much there

I was still kicking around a custom seat... gray alligator with blue stitch. Something subtle, but match the line out of the breakout.

Fellow owners, congratulations on of the coolest bikes I've ever ridden. I love riding these things downtown in the "Split Tail District" and they still can keep me white knuckled up in the twisties. Good Job HD. Tip of the cap to you and the owner/customizers on this beautiful beast.

Thank you to all the folks who took the time to view and thank you for the folks who stopped in to leave a post... See you out there, brothers and sisters!

Dan
Seattle

Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 AM
N8IV
Stage II
Default Headlight

Very clean bike, head_hunter. My hats off to you. I'm really diggin' the Headwinds housing with the Daymaker. What model is the headlight housing?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Parad0x
Novice

@head_hunter Beautiful work on your bike, you definitely have some skill! Any update or thoughts on the PM open primary belt drive since you've had it for a while now? Does the clutch drag or creep any while sitting still? Did you lose any cornering clearance? How does the ride feel as far as shifting and clutch engagement and lever pull? Also, do you have a part number?

Old 05-09-2015, 07:29 AM
Gtcoder
Stage IV

I really want to see your pictures but none of them will open for me, some actually tell me I'm not authorized. Any chance you have them on a different website?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:52 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Parad0x
@head_hunter Beautiful work on your bike, you definitely have some skill! Any update or thoughts on the PM open primary belt drive since you've had it for a while now? Does the clutch drag or creep any while sitting still? Did you lose any cornering clearance? How does the ride feel as far as shifting and clutch engagement and lever pull? Also, do you have a part number?
Since Head_hunter hasn't responded yet, let me answer a few of your questions.

1. There's no creep with an open primary if your clutch is adjusted.

2. Cornering clearance is about the same, depending on the width of the belt drive you get. HH's PMI is basically a BDL unit, which is most likely a 2" width belt. I have a Primo belt drive with a 3" wide belt, and haven't noticed any loss in cornering.

3. The ride is a bit more harsh because you loose the compensator which smooths out the piston firing a bit, so you feel every detonation. You also loose the "clunk" when shifting out of neutral into 1st gear. Also, as you wind up the motor, you get a "jet engine" windup sound that's kind of funny.

4. PMI has you pick the bike model. The Breakout uses the same version as the Rocker. PMI lists for around $3K, while BDL's EVO-8S-2R lists for about $2K or so, and there's a special model # for the Breakout/Rocker (I'm not sure if I got that right). Rivera-Primo's 2016-0156 Brute IV Extreme (2") goes for around $2.4K.

5. Here's one more thing - Gear ratios. Harley uses a front/back sprocket with a 34/46 teeth. BDL/PMI use 52/69. Primo uses 49/76. So with the BDL/PMI setup you're actually going to longer gear throws and slightly lower RPMs in each gear. R-P's setup gives you shorter throws and a higher RPM, which also results in more torque to the rear wheel. Check your RPMs at 70 - my BO is turning 3K at that speed, but is way more responsive.

6. OK, just one more thing - PMI/BDL uses aluminum for their sprockets. R-P uses steel. BDL tells you to red locktite the crap out of the rear sprocket, and I've heard that this is because the aluminum expands & contracts with the heat and the locktite keeps it from loosening and shearing off the splines. R-P's sprockets slip on just like Harley's and don't use locktite on the splines. You be the judge of which process will last longer - my bet is on R-P.

Any Questions?

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Softail Breakout Mods-img_0967.jpg  

Last edited by FurryOne; 05-13-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-19-2016, 08:09 PM
super2kc
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by head_hunter
Such a good time riding last night. Still cold here, but I'll take the sunshine when I can get it. There was still snow on the sides of the road on the way here. Heated leathers rock. These are the last couple of pics from last evening. I'll try to figure out how to get a video of that primary posted soon.

A very inspiring job to say the least, now that you've had the open belt primary on for a while, how do you like it?
Thanks
Casey

Old 07-11-2016, 07:54 PM
Juice13
3rd Gear
Default Did you cut the arm braces for tbe fender

Originally Posted by head_hunter
Fender mounted on the bike. Quick and easy. I'm thinking the black struts and fasteners were the right call on this project.
Did you end up cutting them or just leaving them where they were stock and painting them?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Hollow Man
Novice

Awesome bike, dude has skills for sure...........

Old 10-25-2016, 05:01 PM
Philphine
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

hope you're still around to notice this.

I'm reading through this thread more thoroughly this time 'cause I just picked up a brakester setup I want to consider using. I'm wondering about weather you've had any problems with the heat of the pulley also being used as a rotor affecting the belt. if I miss it going through the thread I hope you can post an answer. thanks.

Quick Reply: 2013 Softail Breakout Mods