Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Softail Breakout Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 05:17 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 3harold
keep in mind that the Breakout is actually a drag bike.
What is a "drag" bike? Does this mean we should be drag racing? or that it will drag when you turn? Please define it for us.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:21 AM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
What is a "drag" bike? Does this mean we should be drag racing? or that it will drag when you turn? Please define it for us.
I drag the heel of my boots and pegs in a hard turn. Does that count?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:55 PM
head_hunter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Drag bike" lol

Yeah, I love the bike, but even with nitrous on this pig, I don't think it would be much of a competition drag bike... 100ish HP and 700lbs curb weight, not counting me on there. I do drag it on the corners though. Yeah, LH side, the license plate and the open primary cage get it first. No peg drag till you burn through that. RH side you can go to the peg. That isn't the goal, of course, just the limit of the machine by its design. Its a long cruiser, and a cool looking one for a production bike. My hats still off to the company for this one.

Just for the sake of mentioning, the pegs I have installed sit a fair amount higher than the dropped low, factory ones with the little curb feelers on them. Mine are straight with no curb feelers. I get a bit more lean before you can hear the money falling off the bike.

In short, I just need to ride it within its design limits and enjoy. No sense in trying to drag a knee on a freight train. A friend suggested titanium skid plates (bright white sparks) at the contact points...

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Softail Breakout Mods-wp_20140517_004-1-.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 04:27 PM
head_hunter
Cruiser
Default A few cockpit shots from Diablo, WA

I wished the pictures did this place justice. It is absolutely beautiful up there. The only real traffic seems to be an occasional elk. Great ride.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Softail Breakout Mods-g0020135.jpg   2013 Softail Breakout Mods-g0020221.jpg   2013 Softail Breakout Mods-g0020301.jpg   2013 Softail Breakout Mods-g0020363.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I've said this before some where, but that's a hell of a bike you got going there mate, keep the good work going!

I know 24v has already done this, and I can see you're a chrome lover, but I reckon your bike is a perfect candidate for those gasser wheels to be PC'd gloss black. Nothing more then just the wheels, and with that up against all that chrome that'd look **** hot!! IMO

Old 05-25-2014, 06:23 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by head_hunter
I get a bit more lean before you can hear the money falling off the bike.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Belt drive - love it. The wine off of the belt drive is freakin awesome. ...Final thought – It has finally set in that I bought a $1,500 BDL drive for $3,000… and got PM’s chrome cage…
I don't know why I just found this thread, but... I ordered the BDL EVO-08SR-2 after looking at a few belts and a quick call to BDL that they actually answered. After a month and a half of waiting, and calling and emailing them with no answers, I wrote them off as a poor choice for any support. Also, I didn't think too highly of their "red Locktite the crap out of the transmission spline" way of doing things. (Did you do this to yours?) I ended up calling Rivera Primo, and they answer their phones and actually call you back with an answer! So right now I'm waiting for their 3" kit to be shipped. One thing I'm a bet fuzzy on - both kits want the bearing race pulled, but don't explain anything more. I take it they have a replacement that is in these kits? Thanks!

Your scoot looks great, but I'm not that daring to take on anywhere near that level of work.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 PM
head_hunter
Cruiser
Default belt drive

Originally Posted by FurryOne
I don't know why I just found this thread, but... I ordered the BDL EVO-08SR-2 after looking at a few belts and a quick call to BDL that they actually answered. After a month and a half of waiting, and calling and emailing them with no answers, I wrote them off as a poor choice for any support. Also, I didn't think too highly of their "red Locktite the crap out of the transmission spline" way of doing things. (Did you do this to yours?) I ended up calling Rivera Primo, and they answer their phones and actually call you back with an answer! So right now I'm waiting for their 3" kit to be shipped. One thing I'm a bet fuzzy on - both kits want the bearing race pulled, but don't explain anything more. I take it they have a replacement that is in these kits? Thanks!

Your scoot looks great, but I'm not that daring to take on anywhere near that level of work.
So, the red Loctite (262) is to be placed on the faying surface under the bearing of the trans input shaft. The OEM primary has a splash lubricated open bearing face (oil wet environment) that rides on a solid steel sleeve/inner race... That part was installed as a press fit from HD with a steel locking compound as well. Its the factory design. The sleeve/race gotta go. New sealed bearing will be used instead of open design used with sealed inner primary/motor plate. Primo will have you do something similar with their parts. Its an old drag race trick to keep from spinning races on shafts and heat damaging them. Its a good thing. just let it cure fully before you operate it. same for crankshaft bolt.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:21 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wished the pictures did this place justice. It is absolutely beautiful up there. The only real traffic seems to be an occasional elk. Great ride.

oh, see...you f@#$ed up now....now you HAVE to post the videos. hahaha. that's beautiful!!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM
head_hunter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JiXeR
oh, see...you f@#$ed up now....now you HAVE to post the videos. hahaha. that's beautiful!!
Haha! I know, i'll figure out how to do it. the file is a little over 3GB. maybe a clip or something? oh.. and the stills came from the GoPro... the tail end of the ride, i thought i was recording video... I guess I'm not smart enough to push the button right. There are a few parts of the vid where the bike is dragging, but not the freakishly long drags that these breakouts are so good at. I dig those long sweepers. I may need to edit the vid... uh, the speed limit was observed at all times as well as all state and county operating requirements were obeyed during this ride.

Quick Reply: 2013 Softail Breakout Mods