Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Softail Breakout Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:54 AM
head_hunter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cornering up in the Cascades...

I did a run last night up to the mountains, and found a few things about my bike I liked, and a few that I really don't. The long wheelbase of the Breakout and the 240/130 tire widths are really good for leaning the bike at a fair amount of speed up in the hills. I shot a few GoPro vids last night. What I didn't like about the current setup was even with the bike raised back up to stock height (air ride), and with raised foot pegs, I found that the bike drags pegs on the right side and drags the fancy *** license plate frame, followed by the belt drive on the left side... So, after adding some character to a bunch of pricey chrome parts, it was fun, but i would like to find a solution. The belt drive is a little narrower than the factory chain primary and housing (I was dragging that thing when I first got the bike). I know the obvious is to drive it like cruiser, but the bikes geometry just makes it fun to throw it through the corners. I was surprised how well it does. Seriously surprised. A long, low, fast, cruiser with a bit of style and fun to ride in the mountain roads or look pretty good slammed down in front of my fav beverage serving area. That was the goal. Still working on it.

PS... Check out those chicken tracks on the back end.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Softail Breakout Mods-wp_20140514_018.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 02:59 AM
davo103
Stage IV
Default wide glide fork tubes

My front end I installed wide glide fork tubes race tech gold valves and springs no more scraps
Handles a lot better

Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 AM
JiXeR
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by head_hunter
I did a run last night up to the mountains, and found a few things about my bike I liked, and a few that I really don't. The long wheelbase of the Breakout and the 240/130 tire widths are really good for leaning the bike at a fair amount of speed up in the hills. I shot a few GoPro vids last night. What I didn't like about the current setup was even with the bike raised back up to stock height (air ride), and with raised foot pegs, I found that the bike drags pegs on the right side and drags the fancy *** license plate frame, followed by the belt drive on the left side... So, after adding some character to a bunch of pricey chrome parts, it was fun, but i would like to find a solution. The belt drive is a little narrower than the factory chain primary and housing (I was dragging that thing when I first got the bike). I know the obvious is to drive it like cruiser, but the bikes geometry just makes it fun to throw it through the corners. I was surprised how well it does. Seriously surprised. A long, low, fast, cruiser with a bit of style and fun to ride in the mountain roads or look pretty good slammed down in front of my fav beverage serving area. That was the goal. Still working on it.

PS... Check out those chicken tracks on the back end.
i would love to see that gopro vid if you get a chance.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 AM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by davo103
My front end I installed wide glide fork tubes race tech gold valves and springs no more scraps
Handles a lot better
I swung by a local HD dealer on Wednesday. They had a black BO and a flamed WG next to each other on the floor. Seeing them parked like that also gave me the idea of using the WG sliders on the BO.

What axle did you use? Are you still using the BO brake and wheels? Any surprises during the swap?

Any chance you could get some photos posted here???

Last edited by NSR; 05-23-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:40 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

Why would you swap for the wide glide lowers? I'm guessing he swapped the tubes to get the taller forks.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:00 PM
NSR
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
Why would you swap for the wide glide lowers? I'm guessing he swapped the tubes to get the taller forks.
Ohhh, damn...are the WG sliders longer? They looked about the same on the showroom floor, lol...

I'm considering the swap because I do not like the black sliders that come on the BO, that's all. I like the machined look on the WG sliders...or maybe the chromed sliders that come on the CVO BO.... I dunno yet ...

Old 05-24-2014, 07:32 PM
davo103
Stage IV

When doing wide glide fork tubes swap you also you need a rocker side stand as B O stand is to short bike leans to much .Install race tech gold valves & springs Breakout will handle AWSOME

Old 05-24-2014, 07:47 PM
davo103
Stage IV
Default breakout with wide glide fork tubes

Breakout that handles and ready to ride hard through corners the only scraps are my cheap
footpegs and thats pushing it hard which is a quick fix new rubbers

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Softail Breakout Mods-20140329_100316.jpg  

Last edited by davo103; 05-24-2014 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-24-2014, 08:35 PM
3harold
6th Gear

keep in mind that the Breakout is actually a drag bike.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3harold
keep in mind that the Breakout is actually a drag bike.
LOL, stop drinking the cool aid. thats just marketing mumbo jumbo.

The only thing drag about it is a big rear and some bars. You wont find a drag bike with controls and pegs in front of the drivers hips

Quick Reply: 2013 Softail Breakout Mods