Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade to a heavy duty clutch spring...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014 | 12:27 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
There is not a real need for it with a stock engine I wouldn't do it. Why have a harder clutch pull when you don't need it.

This is true, was just wondering...... thanks............

Old 02-15-2014 | 05:34 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Default grip

I put the Screamin Eagle 37976-08A on my fatboy after a 124" upgrade. Few more bucks but it allows you to dial in the tension you need to prevent slippage. It has 6 coil springs and you set the grip needed by spring preload that they have a chart for up to 160lbs of torque. Been using it a year now with no problems. When not romping on it to hard, like in cross country travel, I've backed off the preload to be gentle to my arthritic hands.

Old 02-15-2014 | 05:43 PM
skiddd
Supporter

Originally Posted by Snowyone
I put the Screamin Eagle 37976-08A on my fatboy after a 124" upgrade. Few more bucks but it allows you to dial in the tension you need to prevent slippage. It has 6 coil springs and you set the grip needed by spring preload that they have a chart for up to 160lbs of torque. Been using it a year now with no problems. When not romping on it to hard, like in cross country travel, I've backed off the preload to be gentle to my arthritic hands.

Adjustable, that's cool........... good to know for a future bike I will have in the future.......lol

Old 02-15-2014 | 06:36 PM
fatboy1729
|
Road Captain

Thanks to all who replied. I appreciate it. I forgot to mention in my post that I am doing the big bore upgrade on a 06 Fatboy. Where can I get me one of those clutch springs? The dealership? Does Screamin Eagle have this clutch spring that I need? One last thing, I promise, how easy is this job to do and can someone here give me any tips on exactly how to do it? I know the primary has to come off first. Then what? Thanks again to any replies...

Old 02-15-2014 | 08:30 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes you can get it at the dealership. Take all of he adjustment out of your clutch cable and loosen the clutch adjuster screw. The clutch has bolts on it. Unscrew the bolts and take out the old clutch spring. Then put the new clutch spring on and torque the bolts back to spec. Readjust the clutch.

Old 02-15-2014 | 08:46 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

On big torque engines you need the extra spring pressure to prevent the clutch disks from slipping. The heaver clutch spring will add additional tension to the clutch hand lever however you can compensate for this by changing the ball and ramp located in the transmission cover.

Old 02-15-2014 | 09:04 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

When dealer put in a 103 kit, I went with the heavier spring. Noticeable on the hand, but then again I have strong hands lol

Just do it, as **** says...

Why does N-i-k-e get blocked? Bad word lmfao.

Old 02-16-2014 | 08:23 AM
Bagger Jim
Club Member

I'm going with one of THESE. No difference in clutch pull, but locks up where the torque is being made.

Old 02-16-2014 | 08:51 AM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bagger Jim
I'm going with one of THESE. No difference in clutch pull, but locks up where the torque is being made.
I wouldnt mind having one of those but its alot more money than just replacing the spring, so I went that route. Lol The clutch is a little harder to pull but not so hard that it bothers me. I am already used to it.

When I did my SE clutch spring installation, I didnt even loosen up the clutch adjuster. I just pulled the primary, unbolted one and bolted up the new one. Seems to be working work, I love the way it grabs and goooooooeeeeeeessssss.

Old 11-08-2018 | 07:23 AM
Topgunfatboy2008
Novice
Default Upgrade to screaming eagle clutch spring..

I'm going to be changing my compensator and chain adjuster to the baker compensator and Baker attitude adjuster manual chain tensioner on a 2008 Fatboy I wanted to know if it was worth putting the Screamin Eagle clutch spring in..with stock clutch plates to help with some more Pull.. have stage 1 Vance & Hines Pipes big shots dagger Vance & Hines high flow air breather and fuelpak.. while I'm in there is it worth 30 bucks I heard it was.. I'm a big guy I'm not really worried about pulling the lever just wanted to know was it a big difference..when i get on the throttle.. I know this is an old post any help is appreciated

Quick Reply: Upgrade to a heavy duty clutch spring...