Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys running a D&D Fatcat

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You guys running a D&D Fatcat

What baffle are you running? I've got to replace my muffler due to some damage and upon calling to order found out they no longer sell my baffle. I've got a perforated non-wrapped baffle. I think they used to call it the Big Bore Baffle. D&D now has the perforated wrapped baffle and the louvered baffle.

They say the perforated wrapped baffle has a deeper tone than the non-wrapped version and the non-wrapped has a raspy tone.

I like the sound of my baffle now but must say a deeper tone sounds appealing.

My choices are get the new muffler with the new wrapped baffle or get a new muffler and try to remove my old baffle and install it in the new muffler.

Any you guys heard both versions that can comment on any sound differences? Sound is very subjective and changing the sound of my bike gives me pause.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Vwoo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never run a D and D but I was looking at the site the other day. They do a nice job of detailing the baffles as well as showing pics. That doesn't detail the tone, I realize but it may help.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:43 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had my Fat Cat on for about 5 years. When I called them for suggestions they recommended the quiet baffle. They said it would give me the most power in the low to mid range where most riders spend 95% of their time. They said the standard muffler would be more raspy and not as deep sounding as the quiet baffler. They also told me that I would lose power running the big bore since it was designed for bigger engines then my 103" SE motor.
That was the info they gave me 5 years ago. They no doubt have changed their baffles over the years.

I switched from drag pipes that were obnoxiously loud to the Fat Cat.
The quiet baffle is far from quiet. I remember reading back then where owner's were trying to switch from the regular to the quiet baffle for the lower deeper sound and it was quite a hassle trying to remove the existing baffle.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 02-10-2014, 10:36 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain

I've had both in my FatCat. Came with the standard, louvered baffle. Was a little loud for my taste and perhaps a little bit raspy - but as mentioned above, sound is purely subjective. Was able to trade a fellow forum member straight across for a quiet baffle. My understanding is my baffle gave him the sound he was looking for. And for me, yes, the wrapped quiet baffle was slightly quieter and deeper, and not raspy at all. But no power difference either, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by gforrest2; 02-11-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the standard louvered baffle. It's loud but not obnoxious. I would agree a little bit raspy.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:49 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had mine replaced a couple of years ago. Both were standard baffle but sound was really different. Had 40 k plus miles on 1st one and loved the way it broke in. Not so much on new one. I would recommend pulling your old baffle if you liked sound and performance, if it didn't get damaged. Good luck and let us know how it ends up

Old 02-11-2014, 08:14 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Louvered here. Not raspy, just loud.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Jaburg1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sound is so subjective to temperature, altitude, fuel, displacement, type of air intake...... Impossible to nail down.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:39 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The real question is why are you replacing the baffle. If you like the sound, remove it from current pipe, purchase muffler without baffle and install your old one. No issue.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by fcsallan
The real question is why are you replacing the baffle. If you like the sound, remove it from current pipe, purchase muffler without baffle and install your old one. No issue.
I don't have to replace the baffle. When I called my intention was to just purchase the muffler. I had also been reading about baffle removal and it can be an issue. Since there is a possibility it cannot be removed without damage I inquired about the baffle which led into the conversation about the differences.

They no longer sell the baffle I currently have, which is the perforated baffle they used to call the Big Bore. According to Leonard the new perforated baffle is the same one I have except it is wrapped. This gives it a deeper tone but is exactly the same performance wise.

D&D recommended attempting to remove the baffle and if successful ordering the muffler. If not successful order the muffler with the baffle installed. As I thought about my conversation with D&D I may actually like the sound of the newer style baffle? This is why I am inquiring in this forum. To see if anyone has experienced this or heard the difference between the two.

D&D will not guarantee removal without damage and I have read where some have destroyed the baffle trying to remove it. I may or may not be able to remove the existing baffle and experience tells me to look at all possibilities and gain as much info as possible before starting.

Quick Reply: You guys running a D&D Fatcat