Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys running a D&D Fatcat

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

You can remove the baffle. Undo the screw, liberally spray the thing with PB Blaster, then beat the end of the muffler down onto a block of wood....the baffle will walk itself out.

If that doesn't work, miter cut two 2x2s and drive them through the inlet. You may have to burn the 2x2s out if you wedge them in too tight.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Just a heads up, those baffles are a bitch to remove. I ordered my low cat with the quiet baffle. After just a couple of weeks, I determined it was too quiet and ordered the standard louvered baffle.

I generously lubed up the quiet baffle with PB Blaster over the course of two days so that it would work it's way all around the crevices. I used a block of pine to slam the can down onto and had to beat the living hell out of that thing before the baffle slid out. No damage done though!!

I can not imagine removing one that has been in there for years

Old 02-12-2014, 07:45 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it. I kinda figured you had a madness to the method I just wanted it to be clear for future readers.

That said, I have removed the baffle in mine. The "spray lubricant" and beat it out worked for me the first time. I have the wrapped baffle in mine and expected it to be a bear but was surprised that it came out with a bit of effort and lots of spray. I actually removed 50% of the wrap on mine to give it a bit more sharp of a sound and like it much more now. I was concerned with the volume when I bought it and chose the "quiet baffle" because I knew I could just remove the wrap if it was too quiet. I don't think removing the baffle is too hard as long as you have patience. Soak the inside of the muffler, let it sit, soak it again and then give it a few shots on a piece of wood, it will move a couple of inches, then soak it again and repeat. I did this three times and then it worked its way out.

I do have a buddy that said I did it the hard way, he took a propane torch and warmed the outer shell for a few minutes, not hot just a bit more than warm to the touch and then bounced it once on end against a 2x6 on the floor and his came right out. (so he says, I wasn't there.) I know heat does wonders, it might be something to try.