Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deuce Bobtail Fender

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Cajunsurfer06
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail Deuce Bobtail Fender

I have been dreaming of getting rid of my duckbill fender for quite some time now. In December of 2013 some idiot hit me from behind and now I have the opportunity. I have always liked the bobtail fender and I have found more than one candidate. Dougz offers the fiberglass fender that he makes for the Deuce.http://www.dougz.com/deuce-bobtail-f...p?productid=18 and LeatherUp claims to have the OEM FXST fender (Item: #REAR-FENDER-06-10-FXST-200MM) http://www.leatherup.com/p/Rear-Fend...ls/156492.html. After calling LeatherUp they claim the fender will fit my deuce as long as it has stock struts, which it does. The staff at my local HD shop arent super friendly to younger riders and even less friendly to those without fat bank accounts. They quickly tell me nothing more than, "It's not possible without changing your struts." Does anyone know if this is or is not possible? I have a newborn baby and dont have the funds to go changing everything. My bike is currently in pieces on the jack because I wont cash a check or order anything until I know for sure.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

I see you've had no answers to your question probably because it may be a first, I think a lot of people want to get rid of the ugly rear fender on the Deuce but to be honest I've never heard them want to change to the Duck A** type of fender, a lot of people want to get rid of them as well, no I've no answer to your question but I would have thought if the manufacturers of the fender are telling you the struts will fit I would think that they do, you could try posting in the deuce picture forum you may get an answer there, or if you've the time go through all the pics of Deuces on there, you may find someone who's done it, I assume you will have to get a new seat as well, so to be honest a new pair of struts isn't going to cost you an awfull lot more I wouldn't have thought, another option is a used fender seat etc on ebay that's come off a Nightrain or something.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Cajunsurfer06
Novice

After talking to the guy at the paint shop he explained that the deuce fender narrows in the back and is slightly wider where it meets the frame. I do not think this should affect the installation but I guess I'll find out soon enough once everything gets here. LeatherUp also said that everything should easily bolt up so long as what I have is stock, which it is. Only time will tell. If all fails I'll let them know to send a paid postage label and send their fender back and get the fiberglass one from Dougz. I cant find any other good looking fender that doesnt require big money to install. Any input is appreciated.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Your discounting a used bobbed fender from a Harley Nightrain or custom would have thought there's plenty of them around judging by the amount of guys with Heartland kits,don't know for sure but I would have thought one of those including the rear light would bolt straight on your bike, worth considering if the leather up one doesn't fit.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 PM
piper1978
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cajunsurfer06
I have been dreaming of getting rid of my duckbill fender for quite some time now. In December of 2013 some idiot hit me from behind and now I have the opportunity. I have always liked the bobtail fender and I have found more than one candidate. Dougz offers the fiberglass fender that he makes for the Deuce.http://www.dougz.com/deuce-bobtail-f...p?productid=18 and LeatherUp claims to have the OEM FXST fender (Item: #REAR-FENDER-06-10-FXST-200MM) http://www.leatherup.com/p/Rear-Fend...ls/156492.html. After calling LeatherUp they claim the fender will fit my deuce as long as it has stock struts, which it does. The staff at my local HD shop arent super friendly to younger riders and even less friendly to those without fat bank accounts. They quickly tell me nothing more than, "It's not possible without changing your struts." Does anyone know if this is or is not possible? I have a newborn baby and dont have the funds to go changing everything. My bike is currently in pieces on the jack because I wont cash a check or order anything until I know for sure.
I have a good straight Bobtail fender, struts. strut covers (wrinkle Black) and taillight that was removed from an 08 Night train that I am not using. I also have the stock struts that go with it. From what I see from your leather up link the fender your looking at will fit both bikes. I dont see why mine wont work for you. I will measure my frame width tonight and if it matches yours and your struts are bolted on and not part of the frame then I think I have everythig you need to swap it.

Last edited by piper1978; 02-06-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:31 PM
piper1978
Tourer

Here are some pick of what I have

I dont want these sitting around my garage and would hate to scrap them since as soon as I do someone would need them. I understand having kiddos and I can do what I can to get your bike going again just let me know!

Here is a link to a classified ad i have for the parts I have available
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ain-parts.html

Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM
Cajunsurfer06
Novice

I am wondering if ill need that "silver" bracket to mount the tail light that I am ordering. Its one of those wait til you get it then see what youre missing deals here...Piper if this stuff that i ordered doesnt work out ill definitely consider trying your fender perhaps we can arrange something in the event it doesnt work out. Or i can attempt to just sell it on my own...im getting an aftermarket tail light as well which is coming from CA and wont be here until next week...id appreciate it if you hang on to what youve got until I get all these pieces in, but i understand if you gotta sell...my struts appear to be welded onto the frame and i dont see why the slight taper in the struts would affect the back end of the fender...the struts are so short i wouldnt think it would matter and the strut covers should be able to compensate...ive had seemingly good ideas in the past that didnt work out so we will see and ill be sure to post pics for yall

Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 PM
piper1978
Tourer

Here is the photos of my frame set up.
here is the width between struts, mine is at 12"

My spacing between the bolts that hold the strut to the frame is 4"

Here is what my stock struts look like

How long is the wait for your parts? I can hold on to them for a week or two and will let you know before I sell any of the fender related items. The outer strut covers are black, I have had a couple people ask about those but no one pull the trigger on purchasing them. Are those something your interested in or are you going the chrome route. hope it works out for you

Old 02-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Cajunsurfer06
Novice

My strut covers are chrome and so are my signals. If youd like you can email me and we can discuss any details, the fender should be here within the next few hours according to UPS.com and the tail light by wednesday. The anticipation is killing me lol. My email is TRGuilbeau@gmail.com

Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 PM
piper1978
Tourer

Keep me updated on where your at. DId the measurements match your deuce? Let me know what you need.

Quick Reply: Softail Deuce Bobtail Fender