Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear fender kits that work with 05 softail standard

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM
sLow5Rider
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cps3575
That looks pretty good. Is that bike lowered at all?
Looks like it based on how low the rear of the frame is. I've been itching to get the Heartland 180 kit. The price is holding me back, not to mention I'd have to get a bigger wheel/tire combo to make it look right. Are you looking to go strutless or keep the stock struts?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 239 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by cps3575
That looks pretty good. Is that bike lowered at all?
I don't know, I would imagine at least by an inch or so, he's posted a recent thread on here showing more pics of the bike on a ride he went on, I've got an 06 Nightrain and I'm tempted to do the same but my rear fender is a slightly different shape and I'm not sure how it would turn out, plus I can't draw a straight line let alone cut one, the problem with fenders like Heartland is to make the shorter ones look right the bike has got to be lowered at least 2" which leaves very little travel if you hit a pothole, unless you want the extra expense of an air ride.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Thanks for the Notice-in magna . YEP its loward about 1 1/2in. and I drilled new mounting Holes in the Fender .

Old 02-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dennyo
Thanks for the Notice-in magna . YEP its loward about 1 1/2in. and I drilled new mounting Holes in the Fender .
I feel you guys on the price of the Heartland kit; the only reason I have one is because I picked it up used for a much lower price.

The kit came with the wild heart fender and to be honest I'd like to swap it out for the longer heartbreaker fender but can't justify the $450 for it. Maybe I can do what dennyo did and drill new mounting holes to get more coverage of the tire...

Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 PM
cps3575
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sLow5Rider
Looks like it based on how low the rear of the frame is. I've been itching to get the Heartland 180 kit. The price is holding me back, not to mention I'd have to get a bigger wheel/tire combo to make it look right. Are you looking to go strutless or keep the stock struts?
Are struts and frame horns used interchangably? I don't want a strut? running g from the rear axle to the fender I just want the frame horn? (Piece that runs under seat to fender)

Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 PM
cps3575
Intermediate

Originally Posted by magna
I don't know, I would imagine at least by an inch or so, he's posted a recent thread on here showing more pics of the bike on a ride he went on, I've got an 06 Nightrain and I'm tempted to do the same but my rear fender is a slightly different shape and I'm not sure how it would turn out, plus I can't draw a straight line let alone cut one, the problem with fenders like Heartland is to make the shorter ones look right the bike has got to be lowered at least 2" which leaves very little travel if you hit a pothole, unless you want the extra expense of an air ride.
I plan on lowering mine 2" before getting the rear fender kit. Not really an issue for me because i dont go on long trips, just around town and living in sunny FL there arent many potholes. Static suspension though, not air ride. Cant afford it

Last edited by cps3575; 02-04-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM
cps3575
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Echo6 Sierra
I feel you guys on the price of the Heartland kit; the only reason I have one is because I picked it up used for a much lower price.

The kit came with the wild heart fender and to be honest I'd like to swap it out for the longer heartbreaker fender but can't justify the $450 for it. Maybe I can do what dennyo did and drill new mounting holes to get more coverage of the tire...
Would you sell the wild heart fender? That'd be money towards the heartbreaker...

Old 02-05-2014, 12:30 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I'm looking into this to much, but why not measure your fender width and order a blank from bare knuckle choppers? $150.00 and done. Cut yours struts, or remove the covers. Drill some holes in the fender and ta-da!

Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 AM
cps3575
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lundee
Maybe I'm looking into this to much, but why not measure your fender width and order a blank from bare knuckle choppers? $150.00 and done. Cut yours struts, or remove the covers. Drill some holes in the fender and ta-da!
I really should, but I don't have tools or the space to work on a bike. Just looking for a pre-fab'd kit to install if available

Old 02-05-2014, 11:35 AM
Shakey Softail
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lundee right that's a good way or a strutless rear fender all involve some work not a lot of cool shops in tampa but thunder bay got a kustom werks on mine super strong

Quick Reply: Rear fender kits that work with 05 softail standard