Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy lo to bobber

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014 | 03:00 AM
standardmoose
|
Advanced
Default fatboy lo to bobber

hi all

im starting to look at budgeting and time etc for the work i have planned for my bike.

i have a 2010 fatboy lo which im wanting to turn into a bobber. im planning on doing all the work myself for money reasons and also i love working on stuff.

my plans so far are.

white wall paint on the tyres .

paint the silver lip on the rims red,

solo springer seat from LaRosa

chopped rear fender

vance and hines short shots with titanium exhaust wrap,

and possibly changing the ape hangers to drag bars or the bmx bars off the slim, but in doing that i would need to change the risers as well.

the seat seems to be one of the easiest part except for the ecu. as i want to replace the fender as well, im looking at were the ecu is going to go.

now im completely new to harleys, as this is my first and i have only had the bike for a month, so please go easy on me.

any help as in past experience, trouble areas etc that i should watch out for would be most appreciated.

thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails fatboy lo to bobber-bob-after.jpg  
Old 02-03-2014 | 07:22 AM
dsonnenberg
Tourer

Im bought an old bobtail fender and chopped about 4" off. You could try that. Ecm will mount in same spot under seat.

fatboy lo to bobber-forumrunner_20140203_072005.jpg

Old 02-03-2014 | 07:35 AM
rockerz
Road Master

I used a Shadetree cover to go under the sprung seat & the ECM fits under it above the battery

If it was me I would keep the apes

Old 02-03-2014 | 08:29 AM
acman308
Road Master

Give the apes some time especially if you ride any distance.

Old 02-03-2014 | 08:52 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member

Not to crazy about the solo springer seat on a softtail. It looks funky with that pan under it.

Old 02-03-2014 | 09:11 AM
OIF SuperGlide
Tourer

I chopped a FB Fender that I put on my NT. I think it came out good. You'll probably want to lower it though, as there is quite the gap between the tire and fender after you chop it.

Old 02-03-2014 | 10:49 AM
GlennB.
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dansax
Not to crazy about the solo springer seat on a softtail. It looks funky with that pan under it.
I agree. The spring seats always look a little out of place to me on a softail.

Old 02-04-2014 | 12:54 AM
standardmoose
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockerz
I used a Shadetree cover to go under the sprung seat & the ECM fits under it above the battery

If it was me I would keep the apes
i had a look at the shadetree conversion kits before, but saw they were really high on price, i know its a harley and nothing is cheap lol but really high as i am planing on buying the fender off demoncycles or amazon/ebay and fitting it myself as im a metal worker by trade. but i think i might just go with your idea and buy the cover from them.

i do like the apes for a few reasons, i like the fact that i can see clearly over my shoulder when lookign in the mirrors due to the height and also i prefer the riding position, the only problem is my wrist on the throttle, after riding for an hour or it starts to get painful, ive never riding with apes before, and never come across this problem either, but i guess it may just be cos of the new riding style, but i do intend of keeping them for a while to see how things go.

cheers

Old 02-04-2014 | 12:59 AM
standardmoose
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by dansax
i can understand what your saying, i saw a fatboy with a really skinny springer and it doesnt look right, but im trying to go for the 2 images i have attached, im not sure if one is actually a crossbones or if some has put crossbones stuff on a fatboy.

but those three are what i am aiming for looks wise,

also the red lip on your bike is exactly what i want to do lol i saw yoru bike on google and thats were i wanted to steal the idea from lol how did you do yours? is it just spray paint or done professionally ?

cheers

Attached Thumbnails fatboy lo to bobber-fat-bobber.jpg   fatboy lo to bobber-bobbed.jpg   fatboy lo to bobber-fatboy-bob.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014 | 01:03 AM
standardmoose
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by OIF SuperGlide
I chopped a FB Fender that I put on my NT. I think it came out good. You'll probably want to lower it though, as there is quite the gap between the tire and fender after you chop it.

yeah i know what your talking about, ive seen it on a few photos and forums that i managed to find online.

but what im looking at doing it having the fender fitted to the swing arm on the bike so it hugs the tire with about a 20mm gap or less.

have a look at the attached photos

thanks for the help
cheers

Attached Thumbnails fatboy lo to bobber-fatboy-bobber.jpg  

Quick Reply: fatboy lo to bobber