Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ECM do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ECM do I have?

Ok I'm getting a little more info on the bike I just bought. It's a 2003 w/3000 mile and had a SE A/C and SE slip ons installed at time of delivery. The problem I am having now is I want to change the exhaust out to Rush slip ons or V&H BSS and was going to add a PCIII to tune it. Well I need to know what ECM I have when ordering the PCIII, (Stock/Stage 1/Stage 2). Logic would say that the dealer that installed the A/C and slip on's would have done the stage 1 download. I called the original selling dealer and since the download is not a warranty item they do not have it in their system for the original purchase. And since it only has 3000 mile on it I do not know where it has been serviced? If the owner was like me he did all his own fluid changes and adjustment. Is there any way to find out what is inthe ECM short of paying the dealer 1 hr labor to connect to it?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:48 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: What ECM do I have?

The only way to find out what "map" your ECM has is to take it to the dealer and have them hook it up and read it or buy a SERT and do it your self on your PC.

If you are buying a Power Commander it doesnt make any difference if the ECM is stock or flashed to a Stage 1 map for the unit. It is the same Power Commander you just have to set it up differently to get the best performance. If you are going to install it and have it dynoed they will not have a problem tuning it without you knowing it your stock or stage 1. If you are going to set up the PClll then you may have to just try maps available for both stock and stage 1 and see which runs best (seat of the pants).

Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think its a 2002 the 2003 has the 100 year tins on it, unless its a diff tank cuz its been layed down or somthing.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

Ok that makes since. The unit is the same and the downloads are free so I could load one and take it out for a run and then load the other and see which one ran the best and what the plugs looked like. And I would really like to have it dynoed so I know everything is where it should be and there are no lean issues.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Kong
Advanced

I'm not too sure that is correct.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and I hope they do if that's the case, but doesn't the PC-III just make a percentage change to the existing signal with the map being just that - the sequence of percentage changes applicable to various load conditions - which would mean that it would matter very much that you got the right version of the PC-III in the first place.

At any rate the best place to find out is to simply contact the Power Commander people. The one time I E-Mailed them they got back to me very quickly. I asked what the difference was between the model for all other softails and the one for the Deuce (different model numbers). I was advised that they are the same unit in every way other that a part of the mounting bracket is disgarded when installing on a Deuce. Anywaya real persongot back to me quickly and gave a good answer to the question I actually asked - you don't see that much anymore.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 AM
DavyDiesel
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Softtail Bob

Ok that makes since. The unit is the same and the downloads are free so I could load one and take it out for a run and then load the other and see which one ran the best and what the plugs looked like. And I would really like to have it dynoed so I know everything is where it should be and there are no lean issues.
If you're going to spend the money on a dyno why not just buy a SERT and do it right the first time?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:23 AM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

For the little mods I have I thought save the money and get the PCIII. I really just want to make sure the bike does not run lean. With the PCIII I could install it and tune it my self then come back 3 oe 4 weeks later and have it dyno'ed to split the cost up.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

[sm=rant.gif]Here we go again, go with the pc111 its just as good as the damn sert.Yes you can fine tune your pc111 just like a sert and if you sell the bike you can still keep your pc111 and put it on a new one.The sert is stuck with the machine and if you do something else likemotor mods you pay for it again,if your ecm has a prob you have to go and buy a new sert cheap huh....

Old 03-20-2007, 04:08 AM
jigman
Cruiser

Amen DynaBoB!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:58 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

ST Bob ,
If the HD Dealer installed the SE A/C and slippons at delivery , they should have downloaded the Stage I program at that time.If not ,the exhaust will most likely be popping like mad on deceleration .

Quick Reply: What ECM do I have?