Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No front fender?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014 | 01:52 PM
Papa Joe
|
Tourer
Default No front fender?

Just ordered a 16" front wheel from a slim, for my blackline. Not sure if anyother fenders will bolt right on (from a slim possibly)? So, I was thinking about running no front fender and using a RSD fork brace. Any thoughts or input? How bad is water in the face during rain/wet roads, with no fender? Any input is appreciated.

Old 01-27-2014 | 03:03 PM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Default wipers

If you ride in the rain you wont be happy. I was painting my front fender after a bit of repair and the boys were going for a ride so "I don't need no stinking fender" and went with. Once over the pass the weather turned wet and I was riding hanging off the side with a rooster tail of water shooting over my shoulder. The rain quit and I dried out but coming back home some sand had washed across the road. Then I was eating sand. They look cool without but the protection they offer I won't be without.

Old 01-27-2014 | 03:04 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

A fatboy fender might fit, and a 150 tire will just fit under it. I have run with no fender for a couple seasons now and the only issue has been rain. The tire throws up a significant rooster tail that hits square between the eyes. Leaning to one side helps a bit, and I tied a bandana between the forks just above the tire and it helps a little as well. Still lots of water in the face, I just deal with it and try to avoid riding in the rain whenever possible. No real need for a fork brace unless you like the looks of it.

Old 01-27-2014 | 03:10 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

I once experimented and mounted a 140 series tire and spoke rim on my night train. Thought I'd be cool and run the wheel open without a fender. The first time I rode in the rain changed my mind. It was like having a garden hose spraying in my face.

Old 01-27-2014 | 03:28 PM
Papa Joe
|
Tourer

I ride in a lot of weather up here in Denver, so a fender it is. A fatboy fender might work, huh? I am going to be running the stock wheel/tire off of a slim. I guess if I find the right spacers, just about any softail fender would work?

Old 01-27-2014 | 03:32 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

I was at a rally last year and a guy got ticketed for no front fender??? Not sure of state requirements so you don't get pulled over...plus, like others said, if it does rain...you will hate yourself...LOL.

Old 01-27-2014 | 04:11 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Papa Joe
I ride in a lot of weather up here in Denver, so a fender it is. A fatboy fender might work, huh? I am going to be running the stock wheel/tire off of a slim. I guess if I find the right spacers, just about any softail fender would work?
Not sure of the blackline front end dimensions, but I put a fatboy fender on my FX front without any issues. IIRC, the FL and FX front ends share all the same dimensions, the only difference is the extra trim and tube length on the FL's?

Old 01-27-2014 | 04:12 PM
shitbox
Cruiser

My last three bikes before the Springer had no front fenders. Tie something across the forks just above the tire and it will help immensely. Use something heavy like a cotton towel, it works better than a bandana.