Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Im not a Apes Guy so Wild Ones 504 Dresser bars were my choice on my Fatboy. Put over 40,000 miles on them and super comfortable for me at 6'3"

Attached Thumbnails What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?-3-30-stripped.jpg  
Old 01-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

Stopped by Carlini today, picked up a set of 12" Gangster Apes. Blems are a good deal. Can't wait to get the rest of the parts for this swap!

Old 09-25-2016, 09:54 PM
lbottini
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My Fatboy came with some funky (maybe stock) buckhornish type bars. Hated the wrist position. I like lower bars and went for Wild One Street Fighters, after a couple months of sore neck and shoulders I am also going to try the Wild Ones Dresser Bars (W504s).

Riding sport touring, sport bikes, standards and HDs for 45 years it would be hard to convince me that Apes are a preferred bar for the handling department. But then again I didn't buy a Fatboy for speed or handling. Thats what my CB1000 is for.

I love bikes. All of them. Even ones with ape-hangers; I'll let you ride that one.

The following users liked this post:
fatboy42 (01-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Road Star
Stopped by Carlini today, picked up a set of 12" Gangster Apes. Blems are a good deal. Can't wait to get the rest of the parts for this swap!

Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 AM
Snowyone
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default handles

I have a Fatboy Lo and a Crossbones. 14" apes for me. I travel all over the west and after several tries found the 14" apes to be the right fit. No back, neck, or shoulder pain and for an older fart like me that's a giant plus. Got enough aches and pains. They hit me just below the shoulder and are 33"s wide.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:19 PM
Berick
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Carlini Flying Apes by far! Has to be the 1.5" diameter bars though as they look fantastic with the beefy front ends and rims of the Fatboys. The curves are perfect and match the bike beautifully. I got a black set of 14 inchers and the finish was perfect right down to where they mounted their logo. Only thing I would have done differently was get the 12" bars. The 14's are a bit tall for me when going on long rides but they look fantastic.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Berick
Carlini Flying Apes by far! Has to be the 1.5" diameter bars though as they look fantastic with the beefy front ends and rims of the Fatboys. The curves are perfect and match the bike beautifully. I got a black set of 14 inchers and the finish was perfect right down to where they mounted their logo. Only thing I would have done differently was get the 12" bars. The 14's are a bit tall for me when going on long rides but they look fantastic.

Very nice bike, and those bars look great on there!
I don't think I could be comfortable with the 14s, probably too tall for me. The seat on the Fatboy is low, so it makes you reach farther.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:40 PM
Berick
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree 100%. I had gone with recommendations from other forum members when I bought these bars. They look great but I also find them too tall for my liking. They aren't unbearably uncomfortable but if I had of just gone with the 12 inchers, they would have been perfect! I'm 6'1" tall.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Bamjoop
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the 12" HD fat chizeled bars and I like them. They actually feel closer to a 14" bar and have a really good angle on the grips. I know this is an old thread and the OP already picked his bars but I thought Since there were new posts people might be curious on more info.

as far as handling, I started in 1985 on enduros then came up on sportbikes and moved to cruisers and finally now Harleys and everything from drag bars, beach bars and apes and once you get used to the position you can handle well on them all.

As you can see in this video, no real issues with tossing a bike around a little.

The following users liked this post:
Johan96 (12-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2019, 01:50 AM
Jon Wilder
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Fatboy I prefer the OEM bars from the pre-2007 era. They're part of what makes the Fatboy a Fatboy. It was meant to be a low slung brawler, not an old shovelhead replica (not every Harley needs apes).

For those who say apes handle better, I call bullshit. Low bars give you far more control, especially in less than ideal conditions. For the Fatboy being such a large bike, I can throw mine around like a Sportster and that's due to having the low bars on it. Wouldn't be able to do it with apes.

I ride a 2017 Fatboy and still have the OEM bars on, but am looking for a set of pre-2007 OEM bars for it.

Last edited by Jon Wilder; 01-23-2019 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?