Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 AM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the HD mini apes, wish I had the bigger set. These are ok, just wish they were taller. They are almost too short with the seat I now have.

Attached Thumbnails What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?-back-left.jpg  
Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,394 Likes on 5,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I'm 5'8" and find 14"-16" apes perfect for me. They put my hands around shoulder height or a little above. Very relaxed and natural position. Don't listen to the douch bags that hate on apes or claim they handle poorly, most of the time those statements are made by guys that have never rode with them.
No call to get nasty because someone has a different opinion, that`s what the political section is for.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 01-19-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:55 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, meaning no disrespect but you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to handling. Maybe you can't handle a bike with apes but don't assume others cant. I'd put a wager that I could pace you on any set of twisties. In fact, I live near the Poconos and have access to endless twisty mountain roads and I regularly scrape the floorboards with the best of them. If you know how to counterbalance a bike, there is zero difference in how a bike with low bars or high bars handle. It's all about changing your center of gravity. I rode the stock beach bars that came on my Deluxe for about two months and hated them with a passion. Put on the apes and everything fell into place.

Saying they look like crap is your opinion on esthetics but saying they don't handle, is an uneducated bias without any supporting facts. I'm sure other ape hanger guys would agree.

Originally Posted by wildman926
. No apes here, monkey see, monkey do with those bars. IMHO, they look like crap, not any good for handling the bike, and EVERYONE either runs them, or wants to. Why, ???

Last edited by zyonsdream; 01-19-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added more rant
Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

I have the Monkey Bars on my Road King and really like them; rode to Sturgis and back last summer - very comfortable.
I'm not sure if those same bars would fit on the Softail, and then, not sure what length I would need for clutch cable, wires, throttle cable and brake line.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm wondering if the WO515 bars would work on my Softail without changing the clutch cable.
Pretty sure I would need to change the throttle cable and brake line.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:54 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I like beach bars as they are comfortable for me. Plus i love the look.

Attached Thumbnails What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?-20131207_105024.jpg   What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?-20131207_105110.jpg  

Last edited by dansax; 01-19-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Anyone put WO515s on your Softail?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM
wildman926
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zyonsdream
Well, meaning no disrespect but you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to handling. Maybe you can't handle a bike with apes but don't assume others cant. I'd put a wager that I could pace you on any set of twisties. In fact, I live near the Poconos and have access to endless twisty mountain roads and I regularly scrape the floorboards with the best of them. If you know how to counterbalance a bike, there is zero difference in how a bike with low bars or high bars handle. It's all about changing your center of gravity. I rode the stock beach bars that came on my Deluxe for about two months and hated them with a passion. Put on the apes and everything fell into place.

Saying they look like crap is your opinion on esthetics but saying they don't handle, is an uneducated bias without any supporting facts. I'm sure other ape hanger guys would agree.
No disrespect taken, but you don't understand what I have said. Apes don't handle like other bars do, when you get in a bind, is all I am saying. I said it in other post in this thread. You are only looking/quoting the one post. Twisty mountain roads? Yea, Harleys are known to carve them up...lol... Scraping the floorboards on these bikes is no major feat, so no need to crow about that like it is. I have been riding for 40 years, started out racing dirt bikes, and MANY types of bikes, so I have a pretty fair understanding of what I am saying in the handling department. You may not know that, but don't assume either that I or anyone else doesn't know what they are talking about.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

How do you know which brake line to get; what brand, etc, and what length?

Same for clutch cable, etc.

Is there a standard size for 12" or 14" apes?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM
Nordal
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

big chubby 16" 1-1/4's came on the bike from a member along with beach bars and I thought I would hate the apes but after a my first ride with the they are the most comfortable bars for me. 6'-1" 240.

Quick Reply: What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?