Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM
wildman926
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I'm 5'8" and find 14"-16" apes perfect for me. They put my hands around shoulder height or a little above. Very relaxed and natural position. Don't listen to the douch bags that hate on apes or claim they handle poorly, most of the time those statements are made by guys that have never rode with them.
No hater here douchebag. Just stating the facts.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road Star
Not sure if I want baby apes or beach bars...

Post up your favorite and why you like them!

Here's the bike...
Not sure how this escaped my attention previously... but I gotta add. Doesn't matter if you put apes, drags, buckhorns or beach bars on... as long as you still have all those reflectors on your bike... the coolest bars in the world won't help!

Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by wildman926
No hater here douchebag. Just stating the facts.
Opinion and fact are not one in the same.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 PM
wildman926
Cruiser

Opinion and fact are not one in the same.
Really? You say that apes will allow you to maneuver the bike to it's fullest capabilities? I raise BS flag there wannabe. You don't see them on any other bike but a Harley.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had many different styles of bars on bikes over the years. Currently have a set of beach Bars on my Fatboy. They take a little getting used to especially making u-turns but are a great setup for me especially on long rides. My arm, hand and wrist positions are perfect. I never experience fatigue.

Attached Thumbnails What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?-img_1285.jpg   What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?-img_0076.jpg   What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?-img_1298.jpg  
Old 01-18-2014, 07:09 PM
FatBoyZombie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had 12" mini ages not sure of the make. The 12" mini's were okay but I wanted more. So I went to Carlini 14" 1.25" in diameter and I loved them. I am 5'11" and they were just below my shoulders which is legal in N.Y.

Here they are at 14" 1.25" in diameter Carlini Gangster Apes:

After I was hit by a hit n run A-hole I went with 16" 1.5" diameter Gangster Apes from Carlini. These are just above my shoulders which is not legal here in N.Y.. For me these are the ****... Perfect in everyway, comfy and look great but that is really a personal thing. What is good for me might not be good for you.

16" 1.5" diameter Carlini Gangster Apes with their 1.5" Bra style risers:

My vote is obvious; Apes all the way! Had stock bars (horrible IMO), Had drag bars (at the time I loved them but grew out of them after two seasons due to the fact they were not comfy for me anymore), now that I have had apes and in various sizes and makes; it's Carlini all day long. Never looking back and if for some reason I need another set Ill be buying Carlini's.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by wildman926
Really? You say that apes will allow you to maneuver the bike to it's fullest capabilities? I raise BS flag there wannabe. You don't see them on any other bike but a Harley.
You see them on primarily on Harleys because lets just face it a crotch rocket with apes would just make them look gayer than they already are. Softails, especially FL softails are already so limited in their lean angles that putting apes on does not limit their capabilities. Put them on a rice burner and you would be correct that you would not be able to maneuver the bike to it's fullest capability. I have no problems scraping my boards through canyons or doing the figure 8 box on the MSF coarse. So yeah your OPINION of apes is just that, opinion. Unless someone made you king of all Harley related subjects and I didn't get the email about it.

Tell me this though in your extensive experience on Harleys have you ever put any meaningful amount of miles on a bike with apes?

Old 01-18-2014, 08:07 PM
wildman926
Cruiser

You see them on primarily on Harleys because lets just face it a crotch rocket with apes would just make them look gayer than they already are. Softails, especially FL softails are already so limited in their lean angles that putting apes on does not limit their capabilities. Put them on a rice burner and you would be correct that you would not be able to maneuver the bike to it's fullest capability. I have no problems scraping my boards through canyons or doing the figure 8 box on the MSF coarse. So yeah your OPINION of apes is just that, opinion. Unless someone made you king of all Harley related subjects and I didn't get the email about it.

Tell me this though in your extensive experience on Harleys have you ever put any meaningful amount of miles on a bike with apes?
It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a million miles to figure out that apes don't handle very well when you need them in a pinch. If they were, they would be on other types of bikes, regardless of how they "look" on there. You are pissing in the wind. Enjoy.

To the OP, sorry about the side track. Get what suits YOU, and that is all that matters. It would be best if you could ride a Fatboy with the types of bars you are considering, and then make your decision.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM
FatBoyZombie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 with what Wildman926 said.

Ride a buddy's bike with apes, beach bars, or something else and see what's good for YOU.

I will say for me that around town or a three to four hour trek I am absolutely comfy. No fatique at all. Again that's me and not everyone else. In a slow moving tight turn they are more difficult and take getting used to. I don't even flinch anymore because I am so used to them but that would be the only maneuver I can say is a PIA if your not familiar with it.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:54 AM
wmprof
Road Master
Received 1,297 Likes on 446 Posts

Put mini apes on my fatboy. Same as factory wide glide or street bob bars. Did not have to change any cables or wiring.

Handles same as factory bars for u-turns and such. Much more comfortable than leaning forward on stock bars. More natural.

Quick Reply: What are your favorite Fatboy handlebars?