Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014 | 10:51 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Have any new pics Redbeard?
This was about a week ago. Highway 67 in Colorado, overlooking Cripple Creek. Can't beat these blue bird skies!

Old 07-09-2014 | 10:51 AM
Hibrion
Cruiser

It certainly looks great as is. It always pains me just a little to put a pillon on my Springer. Mine came with a wider touring style pillon, unfortunately.

Did you sell your pillon?

Old 07-09-2014 | 10:52 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hibrion
It certainly looks great as is. It always pains me just a little to put a pillon on my Springer. Mine came with a wider touring style pillon, unfortunately.

Did you sell your pillon?
I've got the stock seat, with matching rear pillion. I also have the matching tank bib. No plans for future use, but just haven't gotten around to listing them for sale yet...

Old 07-09-2014 | 11:05 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
This was about a week ago. Highway 67 in Colorado, overlooking Cripple Creek. Can't beat these blue bird skies!

Sir.

I have to say I think you have a pair of the best looking bikes I've seen. You really did a GREAT job on that Springer! In particular, the 60's logos are a great touch.

And of course, as we've discussed, there's no ride like a Road Glide. I still covet them...and there's a 03 anniv for sale for $10k near me....gotta quit checking Craigslist!

BTW, you just gave me an idea...I need to mount my air horn somewhere as I really miss having it. It fit perfectly on the stock horn mount on my Road King. I don't have that mount on my Springer (mine came with the fork horn). Do you still have your stock horn mount? Want to sell it to me?

Old 07-09-2014 | 11:51 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Sir.

I have to say I think you have a pair of the best looking bikes I've seen. You really did a GREAT job on that Springer! In particular, the 60's logos are a great touch.

And of course, as we've discussed, there's no ride like a Road Glide. I still covet them...and there's a 03 anniv for sale for $10k near me....gotta quit checking Craigslist!

BTW, you just gave me an idea...I need to mount my air horn somewhere as I really miss having it. It fit perfectly on the stock horn mount on my Road King. I don't have that mount on my Springer (mine came with the fork horn). Do you still have your stock horn mount? Want to sell it to me?

Thanks Joe, your compliments are much appreciated. I'm very blessed to have a patient wife who tolerates my expensive hobby!

As for the horn mount, I'm still using the stock one that was on the bike. The stock horn is mounted to the upper engine mount. This is now where my coil is mounted. I also don't have the toggle switch for the passing lamps that you have. On my 03 Heritage Springer, I eliminated that switch and rewired the passing lamps to be on 100% of the time, independent of hi-beams being on or off. On this 06, I did the same.

So, you would need the stock engine mount from any regular Softail, I presume. Then you could mount your horn there as well, but may face a small challenge from the passing lamp switch. Nothing I'm sure you couldn't work around though.

Old 07-09-2014 | 11:56 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks Joe, your compliments are much appreciated. I'm very blessed to have a patient wife who tolerates my expensive hobby!

As for the horn mount, I'm still using the stock one that was on the bike. The stock horn is mounted to the upper engine mount. This is now where my coil is mounted. I also don't have the toggle switch for the passing lamps that you have. On my 03 Heritage Springer, I eliminated that switch and rewired the passing lamps to be on 100% of the time, independent of hi-beams being on or off. On this 06, I did the same.

So, you would need the stock engine mount from any regular Softail, I presume. Then you could mount your horn there as well, but may face a small challenge from the passing lamp switch. Nothing I'm sure you couldn't work around though.
I think you're right, and once again, thanks for the inspiration and tips! And I was planning this weekend to wire my passing lights to my Aux circuit so they would be on with my high beam (now that I have a LED 7" Trucklight I like the high beam on in daylight for visibility). I was going to route power to the switch from the Aux circuit, but you have a much better idea, just run them on all the time the ignition is on. Smart idea...why didn't I think of that. lol

I'm going to buy a horn mount and mount my air horn there. The feeble hooter that comes with our scooters doesn't cut it in FL traffic.

Last edited by Joe_G; 07-09-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2014 | 05:24 PM
libtech
Intermediate

Looks great!

Old 07-09-2014 | 07:14 PM
patharley
Tourer

Sorry for the delay folks.....It's all done, and I've been having too much fun riding this bike! We finally had some great weather, so I snapped a couple good photos outside in the sun. The pictures are no justice to this paint, and I now understand the challenge the photogs have when shooting bikes for the HD website.

Anyway, I had a couple last pieces that I had to order to complete the project. The last couple orders included the Heavy Breather with black/chrome twisted cover and the license plate mount from a Softail Slim, along with new turn signal standoffs for the rear. These were both shorter than my stock ones and I like how they've pulled the signals in closer to the fender.

Anyway, without further delay, here is the finished product. I'm considering wheels and fishtails for next winter. Until then, all I'm buying is gas!

very nice !! love the seat !!

Old 08-22-2014 | 12:10 PM
GibT
Tourer

Beautiful build. Wasn't sure I'd like the gold but it really works. Nice job.

Old 08-22-2014 | 12:52 PM
SKT
Road Master

Originally Posted by GibT

Beautiful build.

Nice job.

X2 - very well exectuted!

Any updated/recent pics to share of this bike?

Quick Reply: 2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build