Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014 | 08:13 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
WOW that looks like a million bucks!!! Probably one of the best looking bikes I've seen.

You sir have a wonderful stable of beautiful bikes.

And thanks for sharing all the tips during this build, they paid dividends when I did my ape upgrade the other evening.
Thank you Joe. Glad that I was able to help you out with your own projects too. Saw your post about the Glide you saw with your son....Do it!

Old 06-10-2014 | 08:16 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words.

Thank you Joe. Glad that I was able to help you out with your own projects too. Saw your post about the Glide you saw with your son....Do it!
LOL my wife is happy that I've sold my Road King...she just got a new Miele vacuum on Saturday, so she's tapping my mod money for her benefit. It'll be a little while before I get another bike. There's still chrome left to buy for this one! LOL

I'm thinking of getting the 97-99 fringe bags...my bags aren't in great shape and they aren't too terribly expensive from the Moco dealer.

What's your opinion? You obviously have EXCELLENT taste in scooters and modding. BTW sorry that I keep hijacking your thread!

Old 06-10-2014 | 08:24 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Haha, I think my wife just gave up on me. She learned it was a lost cause early on!

Seeing your HS reminds me of my old one. It was just like yours, but I stripped it down and removed the bags, etc.

I like the idea of fringe on the bags, but I think to really pull it all together, you'd have to consider fringe for the seats too.

You might be able to have your current bags restored and have fringe added too.

Old 06-10-2014 | 08:35 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Haha, I think my wife just gave up on me. She learned it was a lost cause early on!

Seeing your HS reminds me of my old one. It was just like yours, but I stripped it down and removed the bags, etc.

I like the idea of fringe on the bags, but I think to really pull it all together, you'd have to consider fringe for the seats too.

You might be able to have your current bags restored and have fringe added too.
LOL my wife is on the same page. She knew I had a pocket of cash from the sale and got her mitts on it before I had a chance to spend it.

My bags aren't in very good shape, even with Kix's shapers they are permanently wrinkled and saggy. I think the new MOCO bags will be cheaper than fringing...and I like the reflectors and conchos they have. Fringing the seat may be an option down the line. And there is a practicality side..my bags are wrinkled somewhat flat and I can't fit the family dinner in them very easily (one thing I sure miss about the Road King is those big bags) so bags that are factory fresh will give me more room.

Problem is my 11 year old, who still thinks I'm the coolest, says fringe is for girls bikes. Dunno if I want to taint my image in my boy's eyes! :-)

Old 06-10-2014 | 08:42 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
LOL my wife is on the same page. She knew I had a pocket of cash from the sale and got her mitts on it before I had a chance to spend it.

My bags aren't in very good shape, even with Kix's shapers they are permanently wrinkled and saggy. I think the new MOCO bags will be cheaper than fringing...and I like the reflectors and conchos they have. Fringing the seat may be an option down the line. And there is a practicality side..my bags are wrinkled somewhat flat and I can't fit the family dinner in them very easily (one thing I sure miss about the Road King is those big bags) so bags that are factory fresh will give me more room.

Problem is my 11 year old, who still thinks I'm the coolest, says fringe is for girls bikes. Dunno if I want to taint my image in my boy's eyes! :-)
Hah, I know how you feel. I had sport bikes before Harleys. My kids were just a year or two older than yours when I switched to Harleys and they didn't think I was too cool after that!

I see what you're saying though about the bags. Its a toss, man. I think you could pull off either look. I do remember wishing the bags were a touch larger though. Having them out of shape must make that even worse.

Old 06-10-2014 | 11:36 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

1 - Stunning.
2 - Wheels are FINE..
3 - If you decide to change wheels and pipes I will pick up the used ones from you as long as they are dirt cheap LOL.

Old 06-10-2014 | 12:19 PM
woodsietx
Cruiser

That is one beautiful bike.

Fantastic mix of color, black and chrome. I've tried to maintain a good mix like that on my Anniv. I'm even more inspired now. The first pieces I personally sent to get PC'd are getting done now.

Now off to start practicing with the camera.

Thanks for sharing the build.

Old 07-09-2014 | 10:10 AM
Hibrion
Cruiser

What a great build. It's nice to see someone taking the time to focus on all the little details and doing things right the first time.
Did you get rid of the pillon or will you run one when needed?

Old 07-09-2014 | 10:45 AM
Redbeard719
|
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Hibrion and WoodsieTX. I appreciate the compliments.

Hibrion, when I had it painted I had the hole in the rear fender welded shut. No option to run a traditional passenger pillion, and no intention either. This is strictly a solo bike...

Old 07-09-2014 | 10:47 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Have any new pics Redbeard?

Quick Reply: 2006 Softail Springer Classic Project/Build