Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail ride.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014 | 09:43 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Softail ride.

Or the lack thereof. I don't know why but this year is the worst I can remember in a long time to do no riding due to winter and have it bother me so much. I am about to go crazier then bat ****. If there wasn't so much damn salt out there I would be going riding tomorrow as long as it doesn't get any colder. It's about 28 degrees out there now, I think it hit 35 degrees today but I won't expose my bike to that much salt. I can live with getting it dirty but not salty, it's just to damaging especially where it sits that you can't get to too clean it off. Just hosing it off just spreads it more and eats at wiring. Now have a field day with my thread. I have a lot of time and money in the old girl, like so many others here have, but it's not a "Trailer Queen". I do show it but I also ride it so it's not that I don't want to get it dirty. Salt+chrome+wiring just don't go well together at all.

Old 01-15-2014 | 10:40 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I hear you on that one. We don't get salt as much here in Colorado, but they use a liquid called Magnesium Chloride. Different, but the same. In addition, they put down a sandy mix for traction.

It's great for the snowy roads of course, but when the snow melts off, there is dirt all over the roads, just asking for a wipeout in a curve/corner. Intersections are the worst.

I'm getting more and more anxious for Spring to get here, and some good hard rains to help clean up the roads.

Old 01-15-2014 | 10:55 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

We are going to Fort Collins this August, what will the weather be like there, days and nights, at that time of the year? Also, EFI? Is it going to be Ok at some of those elevations in the Mountains? It's going to be my 1st time out that way and into the mountains. I have heard it causes issues going up, staying up then back down sometime in the next day or two. I have zero first hand experience cutting up twisties in the Rockies. Also, to be clear this is also the first bike I ever even owned with EFI and not a carb so I don't know what to expect there either?

Old 01-15-2014 | 10:55 PM
CagelessRoy
Advanced

Salt? Magnesium Chloride? What's that stuff for?

But I feel your pain. I get antsy when I can't ride for 5 or 6 days. How y'all survive north of the Red River I just don't know...

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:04 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

CagelessRoy, Ya know, I must just be getting old because I am finding out that each winter just keeps getting harder. I have family all over the country and I let them all know. When I retire those of you in warm places is getting company!!! I don't ever see myself retired and snowed in, no thank you!

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:08 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior

1) mag-chloride blows as it eats chrome 1000 times faster than salt does.
2) your EFI will work the same as it does by you.
3) Ft. Collins will be 80's during the day and60's at night.
4) I'd love to meet up with you Tony!

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:27 PM
Suntower
Road Master

So... yeah... it was 82 degrees in San Diego today.

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:38 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Well we are just now waiting to see if my nephew with the truck and trailer can get off for sure. I think August 3rd or 4th to the 12th or 13th. Once we get there I am just following the crowd. Like I said, 1st timer for the Rockies. If it can be worked out, if we are going by you or you us I'm always game for a good ride with anyone! I also have a niece in Fla who also rides her own bike trying to make it too. We are trying to figure out picking her up or getting her and her bike to Toledo. 6, maybe 7 of us meeting up with 2 in Fort Collins, all family unless I don't know something. How far apart are we talking about, Ft. Collins to where you are?

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:42 PM
tbonetony06
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Rub it in Suntower, rub it in!!! I would LOVE and settle for a day of 45, 50 degrees right now. Your blessed to be able to ride year round my friend.

Old 01-16-2014 | 01:42 AM
stal94gt
Road Master

I am stationed in north Florida so no snow but chilly days during the winter. Florida has made me a fair weather rider but in a few months I move overseas for a year so I can't take my bike. It will be the first time I have parted from it since I bought it and I am gonna miss riding. I hope it does good in storage while I am gone

Quick Reply: Softail ride.