Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on FXST?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014 | 06:23 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve06FXDB
I am referring to the lowering kit for the rear. Looks like 2 bolts? Harley sells it
Thats what I am talking about too. Lol

Dead Creek Cycles sells lowering collars that are very easy to install. I had them installed before buying the shotgun shock (air ride). I wouldnt buy Harley ones....probably over priced and not any better.

Old 01-14-2014 | 06:24 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

if you have the coin to drop on a set of custom bars I would look into the br bars. they will make them any shape and size so you get the exact look. mine are 1.5 od, 18" tall, 11.5 inch center, 7" pull back and they are swept with points. they do take time to be made and they are on the high end price side but you get what you really want.

Old 01-14-2014 | 08:32 PM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Go with the width that matches the triple tree and fork tubes. Looks way better since it all lines up. Here's a front shot of my 14" wild 1 oulawz:

This bike gives me a serious chub...

What's the highest you can go on a stock FXST before you have to get new lines?

Anyone got anymore info on the best lowering kit? I wanna lower front and rear. I also think my rear shocks might be blown. Very rough ride. I can take the info thru pm so as to not thread jack.

Last edited by H3llb1lly88; 01-14-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2014 | 11:23 AM
Steve06FXDB
|
Advanced

Hey H3llb1lly88, your prob at the same stage as me. Starting with a stock Softail Standard. I went ahead and ordered new steel braided cables with my bars. I was told I may not need the wires extended but if I do I will extend them myself!!

Old 01-16-2014 | 09:28 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Haha thanks H3llb1lly88. I have no clue what you can get away with as far as the stock cables and wiring goes. I'd have to say not much over 8-10 inch bars. Mine are 14" bars on 2" risers, and I believe I went with +4" over stock. I can't remember and after looking at my receipts from my order, they don't list the length that I ordered. Sorry man

As far as a lowering kit, Mine just has the bolts in the rear. For the front, I did a combo of 2" shorter fork tubes and the progressive drop in lowering kit. It got me about 4 1/2" of drop total so that the amount fork tube between the triple trees and below was the same. All for looks man, I had to run SE heavy fork oil so that it doesn't bottom out, sometimes it still does. I actually like the stiffer ride however, I think it feels more positive and it hugs the road better going through turns.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 01-16-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2014 | 08:44 AM
Steve06FXDB
|
Advanced

Thanks for all the info fellas!!! Ill get pics up when I get the bike done!!

Old 01-17-2014 | 10:48 AM
H3llb1lly88
Tourer

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Haha thanks H3llb1lly88. I have no clue what you can get away with as far as the stock cables and wiring goes. I'd have to say not much over 8-10 inch bars. Mine are 14" bars on 2" risers, and I believe I went with +4" over stock. I can't remember and after looking at my receipts from my order, they don't list the length that I ordered. Sorry man

As far as a lowering kit, Mine just has the bolts in the rear. For the front, I did a combo of 2" shorter fork tubes and the progressive drop in lowering kit. It got me about 4 1/2" of drop total so that the amount fork tube between the triple trees and below was the same. All for looks man, I had to run SE heavy fork oil so that it doesn't bottom out, sometimes it still does. I actually like the stiffer ride however, I think it feels more positive and it hugs the road better going through turns.
Awesome thanks for the info brotha! I'm seriously thinking about just getting the shotgun shock. I'm 6'1" 250 so I need some support under me. Is the burley front kit any good? Or should I get the progressive?

Old 01-17-2014 | 02:48 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Do it right the first time if you can. When I get the coin, shotgun is going in!

I'm not sure about the burley kit compared to the progressive kit. I can't imagine that they can really be that different but, I never did compare them and I went with progressive because so many other people on here have. Also, I called progressive up to ask a few questions, the guy I spoke to was good at helping, so based on the reviews and the customer service, that's what I bought.

Old 01-17-2014 | 04:55 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by H3llb1lly88
Awesome thanks for the info brotha! I'm seriously thinking about just getting the shotgun shock. I'm 6'1" 250 so I need some support under me. Is the burley front kit any good? Or should I get the progressive?
I can chime in on the suspension.

I had the 2" shorter progressive kit and it was good, but when I added the Ricor intiminators (best done with the kit) it was MAGIC .. I really can not describe to you the difference , the front end just gets a lot more planted and very confidence inspiring.

Related issue on the front, Wider bars do magnify front end movements, so extra wide bars will make a nervous front end scary and stable front end feel light. so keep this in mind.

As for the back I tried all things
1 - Bolts were cheap, ride was OK 1" down solo (175) Ok with passenger (130). but the seat had to be comfy or I used a spring seat kit no way I can ride with the bolt and my lepera barebones.
2 - 422's were a great improvement went down to 1.5" and ride quality was really good, much much better than the bolts, the Barebones can finally be used again and it made handling on corners really amazing.
3 - ShotGun shocks. it seems the reliability improved a lot, you can find them on sale here for under 900% used , JD does awseome job and can update components for you, etc.. the ride is now 2.5" lower and it is not bad solo , going lower turns it into a rigid not fun but cool for a short ride, two up is very comfortable. down side is lots of fumbling to get the right setup.

Hope this helps.