Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some clearification of Screamin Eagle please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014 | 08:41 AM
gregeinsc
|
Road Captain
Default Manual to Hydraulic clutch conversion, '12 Slim

I am confused about the Screamin Eagle line of HD parts. Back when the Fat Boy was coming standard with a 96, you could shell out the extra cash and upgrade to the Screamin Eagle 103, correct? Meaning that the extra displacement is what gave it the Screamin Eagle designation. Then you could shell out another wad to pull the 5 speed trans and swap it for the Screamin Eagle 6.

Now, my '12 Slim comes standard with a 103 and the 6 speed trans. My 103 is not 'considered' Screamin Eagle anymore because that tag has now been affixed to the 110, correct? My 6 speed trans is not considered a 'Screamin Eagle' trans because it is essentially what they are using for most of the bigger bikes, correct?

If I wanted to pull my 6-speed side trans cover off and replace it with the 6-speed Screamin Eagle hydraulic side trans cover because I wanted to swap to a hydraulic clutch; I could do so without pulling out my stock 6 and replacing it with a 'Screamin Eagle' 6, correct? Or do I have to pull my stock 6 and replace it with a 'Screamin Eagle' 6 in order to do the manual to hydraulic clutch conversion? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by gregeinsc; 01-09-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: better title
Old 01-09-2014 | 08:52 AM
tmilo1000
Tourer

I don't know about the SE transmission, but as I understand the SE engines had better flowing heads, a little more compression, and a hotter cam in addition to the larger displacement.

Old 01-09-2014 | 09:17 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

I don't think installing all the Screamin' Eagle parts you can buy actually makes a bike a Screamin' Eagle CVO bike. I have a SE Stage II 103 upgrade with SE pipes and I don't consider it to be an SE bike. I think if you were to be technical, I imagine the true SE designation is in the VIN. I do not know that to be a fact. I imagine it's much like cloning a muscle car, ie buy a 70 Mustang put a hot 302 in it and paint it with 302 Boss colors and badging still does not make it a Boss Mustang.

Old 01-09-2014 | 09:43 AM
gregeinsc
|
Road Captain

I am not trying to clone a Screamin Eagle CVO bike. I was probably a little long winded in my post. I just need to know if I can swap my manual clutch to a hydraulic clutch by using the Screamin Eagle hydraulic side trans cover, with additional parts of course, without having to swap my stock 6 speed trans for a Screamin Eagle 6 speed trans.

Last edited by gregeinsc; 01-09-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-09-2014 | 10:03 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I just got the bike shown in my sig pic about a month ago, so I would love to learn about stuff like this.

Old 01-09-2014 | 10:07 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

You might be able to pull up the part numbers for both cover plates in the on line HD parts catalog. From there you can get a pdf for install instructions and you might be able to tell from comparing those, short of someone having a reliable straight answer. Ironic, I would like to replace my 6-speed cover with a plain one with no designation. Good luck, hope you get it sorted out.

Old 01-09-2014 | 10:10 AM
gregeinsc
|
Road Captain

Dude, isn't there a forum for Screamin Eagle CVO's?? I tried to edit the title so it describes in better detail what I am trying to find out. I am not looking for an education on what makes a CVO a CVO. If you have the nut to shell out for one of these special bikes, great. I apologize if that is what my original post conveyed.

Just trying to find out if a stock 6 speed transmission in a '12 Slim is the same thing as a Screamin Eagle 6 speed transmission except for the manual vs hydraulic operation of course. Just trying to find out if I would have to PULL my STOCK 6 and replace it with a SCREAMN EAGLE 6 if I wanted to do a manual to hydraulic conversion.

Old 01-09-2014 | 10:35 AM
QC
Club Member

My admittedly uneducated guess would be you'll be fine with your plan.

Old 01-09-2014 | 10:51 AM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Have you asked the dealer if there is a hydraulic clutch upgrade option?

And maybe try retitling your post and you may get more answers. That is assuming I am correct in assuming the basis of your question really is not about having a screaming eagle Trans, but how to change your Trans to hydraulic clutch.

Last edited by UT-rckr; 01-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2014 | 10:58 AM
Sabokat
6th Gear

I honestly think it's a way for the dealership to squeeze you for slightly better than stock performance with a "factory" part. There are better ways to go about better performance that don't involve either as much money or better performance for the same money. Of course the SE stuff doesn't void your warranty if you are worried about any of that garbage.

Quick Reply: Some clearification of Screamin Eagle please