Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some clearification of Screamin Eagle please

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014 | 11:08 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
Back when the Fat Boy was coming standard with a 96, you could shell out the extra cash and upgrade to the Screamin Eagle 103, correct?
Harley used the term "Screaming Eagle" originally for the MoCo's limited bikes and they quickly changed it to "Screaming Eagle CVO" and then to the current "CVO". The MoCo also uses the term "Screaming Eagle" to highlight it's premium line of parts. So a current cataloged part number such as the "Screaming Eagle 6-speed transmission" is their way of saying it is their "premium" transmission. The Screaming Eagle line of parts and accessories are supposed to be made of higher quality and tolerances. It is also a premium product that brings the MoCo more $$. The best example is the regular HD spark plugs vs. the Screaming Eagle spark plugs. According to HD, the SE plugs offer better performance. It is debatable if you or I could ever tell or feel that difference in anything other than our wallets.

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
If I wanted to pull my 6-speed side trans cover off and replace it with the 6-speed Screamin Eagle hydraulic side trans cover because I wanted to swap to a hydraulic clutch; I could do so without pulling out my stock 6 and replacing it with a 'Screamin Eagle' 6, correct? Or do I have to pull my stock 6 and replace it with a 'Screamin Eagle' 6 in order to do the manual to hydraulic clutch conversion?
That is tough to answer. In theory, the covers should be interchangeable. But, HD has been known to change bolt locations so things don't line up, forcing you to replace the entire tranny. My suggestion is to plunk down the $$ to buy the hydraulic cover's gasket to see how it will line up before buying anything else. That should give you a good indicator of which way to go from there. As long as you don't tighten the cover onto the gasket, you should be able to return it unused. Or, better yet, have the parts monkeys pull your gasket and the SE gasket and compare the two at the counter before you buy anything. HTH!

Last edited by yzergod; 01-09-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2014 | 02:13 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

[QUOTE=yzergod;12180098]Harley used the term "Screaming Eagle" originally for the MoCo's limited bikes and they quickly changed it to "Screaming Eagle CVO" and then to the current "CVO". The MoCo also uses the term "Screaming Eagle" to highlight it's premium line of parts. So a current cataloged part number such as the "Screaming Eagle 6-speed transmission" is their way of saying it is their "premium" transmission. The Screaming Eagle line of parts and accessories are supposed to be made of higher quality and tolerances. It is also a premium product that brings the MoCo more $$. The best example is the regular HD spark plugs vs. the Screaming Eagle spark plugs. According to HD, the SE plugs offer better performance. It is debatable if you or I could ever tell or feel that difference in anything other than our wallets.

+1 good answer. in short if it is built by the CVO plant (Custom Vehicle Operation) it is done using many SE parts and is now called a CVO (previously a SE) Most if not all of the SE parts are available to add to your bike but doing that does not make it a Screaming Eagle (SE)or a CVO bike.
You could never "shell out" cash to order the extra SE parts (96 to a 103 etc) from the factory. All f the SE upgrades are available through the dealer as dealer or aftermarket installed mods.
This is the SE Hyd Conversion kit and will bolt on http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-kit---6-speed

Last edited by XARAN; 01-09-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2014 | 02:21 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
I just got the bike shown in my sig pic about a month ago, so I would love to learn about stuff like this.
You got a really nice model IMO. The 05 SE Fatboy was one of my favorites. I had a 05 Annz Model

2005 was a confusing year for Fatboys there wer 3 modles available
1.the stock 05 and it had a 88 motor (chrome oil tank and decal on the tak)
2. Annv edition , (had the 95 motor with stock cams and heads and a painted oil tank and a stick on emblem on the tank as wellas badges that said 15 annv)
3. the SE version that had the full SE 95 kit(heads, cam, BB as wella s load of chrome , different seat and custom paint) these were assembled at the CVO plant

Old 01-09-2014 | 04:01 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

If your goal is to upgrade to a hydraulic clutch there are plenty of conversion kits on the market. No need to swap your transmission. A buddy of mine just converted his 97 5 speed EVO to a hydraulic clutch. Don't recall the manufacturer but you'll certainly find plenty of info through a google search.

Old 01-09-2014 | 04:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

My understanding is you can put all the SE packages on you want, but you truly do no have an official SE bike. Least my understanding. The 04 SE Softail Duece had numerous options such as dual front rotors. You could buy the sliders, axle , bearings for the larger axle, rotor ,caliper larger master and hoses. Also, numerous engine parts. However without the correct vin and the old plate, they would not sell you the SE timer cover badge. This is what a dealer told me. Now they have the CVO badge.

Old 01-09-2014 | 05:00 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Modern clutch cables are so good, and low on friction, that I probably wouldn't go much out of my way to switch to a hydraulic.

Old 01-09-2014 | 05:11 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

SE trany is a straight cut gear set up while the cruise 6 is mostly helical cut. Not the same.

Old 01-09-2014 | 06:00 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

It is utterly amazing how many people have commented and have no clue as to what the hell they are replying to. The OP's question had nothing to do with if you feel his bike will or will not be SE when he is done. He simply wants to know if the SE hydraulic clutch cover will bolt onto the factory 6 speed tranny?

Old 01-09-2014 | 08:03 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master

Or does he want a hydraulic clutch too?

Old 01-09-2014 | 08:39 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
It is utterly amazing how many people have commented and have no clue as to what the hell they are replying to. The OP's question had nothing to do with if you feel his bike will or will not be SE when he is done. He simply wants to know if the SE hydraulic clutch cover will bolt onto the factory 6 speed tranny?
probably should have read the original question before he clearified what he was asking

Quick Reply: Some clearification of Screamin Eagle please