Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil lines changed to braided?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 24v
I have used bbq paint in a spray can. Spray a little in the cap and use a brush to paint bolts. Never tried the lines though. Works great on bolt heads.
Yeah I've been using engine paint with a brush to tidy a couple things and bolt heads. But I wouldn't want brush lines on them brake lines, would look a bit cheap.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by m i k e
i have painted mine w/ hi-temp paint so far 2 seasons no probs i have also recently seen someone w/ wrapped oil lines which i thought was kewl i think it was a breakout or rocker i left the braided part to give a little contrast
Thanks Mike! That does look good, thanks for the pic. As much as I would like to run black braided lines and fittings, this would be so much easier and cheaper while still looking great. I've used that hi/temp stuff on a few parts now, works well.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:40 AM
bauer4567
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ink83
Any pics of the lines you painted? Did you have to rough up the chrome first?
I did not rough up the chrome at all. And I saw some comments about brush marks... the good thing about the testors paint is that it has a self leveling property to it. You basically just get the paint on somewhat heavy and you can see the brush marks - all you have to do is make them uniform, somewhat uniform direction and thickness. By the time it dries, the paint settles into itself and makes a nice flat finish without seeing the brush marks. It makes sense that it is designed for the guys doing the little models because they apply it with small brushes like I used (usually right next to the testor paint at the hobby stores) and it must level itself to a nice finish. Anyway, here are some pictures... they arent the best, but you can see that it comes out nice and flat...

You can see some salty water marks on the oil reservoir and the dipstick cap. The dipstick cap was also done with this testors paint... The little white marks are from riding in the salty water.

The braided areas soak up the paint and just kind of get tinted, they do not get black. They are black for a couple minutes after painting, but then the paint soaks in i think, and it looks more like grey.

I also wanted to get one on a flatter surface because there are a bunch of reflections on the rounded oil lines. The polished trim ring around the air cleaner was also painted with the same paint. You can see how smooth it gets.

Anyway, like I said, it seems kind of gypsy at first, but the results are pretty solid. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Yeah actually I'm surprised how well that looks, doesn't look dodgy at all man nice work. I actually did the same on both my A/C filter clamps and A/C mounting bracket as in the pic

Between seeing yours am mikes I've decided to ditch the braided idea. Possibility still of just getting the little braided bits in proper black braid and fittings but paint the lines. Though the painted braid on yours turned out surprisingly well. Thanks for sharing!

Attached Thumbnails Oil lines changed to braided?-image-1158227630.jpg  
Old 01-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Hey Bauer4567, how'd the filler cap hold up over time? I would expect the paint to wear off being handled?

Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM
bauer4567
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ink83
Hey Bauer4567, how'd the filler cap hold up over time? I would expect the paint to wear off being handled?
Filler cap has held up fine. I also took off and painted the road king emblem and buckles on the hard bags as you see in the picture. Right around the area where the buckle holder touches the center hinge is rubbed off from use, but it is not even seen unless you undo the buckles, which you never have to bc the buckles are useless, they have the plastic quick release buckles underneath them. Anyway, the rest of them have held up fine.

Infact, now that were talking about it, I also used this paint on the valve cover bolts and all the bolts around primary, cam, and trans covers... Basically, everything as you can see... None have shown any signs of wear... I admit it is not 100% perfect on super close inspection... but you cant beat it for the money.

Last edited by bauer4567; 01-09-2014 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Thanks heaps for your time mate, that's been a big help, that's a nice looking Lo you have by the way too

Old 01-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Done! Painted in a satin black finish. Took me most of the day to pull it all out and paint it and fit it back on. I really happy with the finish. Though I didn't feel comfortable using the hi temp paint on the oil cap. I don't like it chrome though so I'm thinking of just buying an after market black cap. Maybe one of those digital ones or whatever they are

Attached Thumbnails Oil lines changed to braided?-image-113185941.jpg   Oil lines changed to braided?-image-1332136689.jpg   Oil lines changed to braided?-image-3642388432.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 AM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 706 Likes on 383 Posts

You are definitely running out of shiny parts on that bike. What about making the forks black between the trees? I did it with a piece of vinyl on my last bike. Just wrapped it around the tube.

Also, the silver part on the middle of the brake calipers peels off. It is just a little thin metal piece with adhesive on the back. Get your fingernail, or a screwdriver, under it and it will pop off.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 24v
You are definitely running out of shiny parts on that bike. What about making the forks black between the trees? I did it with a piece of vinyl on my last bike. Just wrapped it around the tube. Also, the silver part on the middle of the brake calipers peels off. It is just a little thin metal piece with adhesive on the back. Get your fingernail, or a screwdriver, under it and it will pop off.
For starters that's one nice looking Blackline. And secondly thanks for those two tips, I'm going to give them both a go! Exactly what sort of vinyl is it and where did you buy it from?

I've also got floating black discs for front and back going in the next week or so, and a new black ignition switch just turn up but I'm waiting on a new full length tank black dash panel to turn up to fit it all together.

I want it blacked out, but I think it needs just a hint of chrome so you can still make some sense of it. So I think Ill leave the engine as is, there be a little but on forks too. And I've got the option to get a black bezel for the dakota gauge, but I think one I put the black ignition switch on, that chrome bezel will be needed

Quick Reply: Oil lines changed to braided?