Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate Having No Fuel Reserve On Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:02 PM
Harley_Charley
|
Road Master
Default Hate Having No Fuel Reserve On Breakout

Forgot to gas up the last time I rode and was running late to work today (don't usually ride the bike to work) and at around 15-17 miles left on the fuel range indicator the bike started to sputter off and on (it's done this before) so I have to slow the bike down to under 60 to keep it from sputtering.

Needless to say I'm not a believer in the range when it's super low like that and wish I had my fuel reserve option like on my Sportster.

Off my soapbox!

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:16 PM
Kiernans88
Advanced

Anytime you roll right on a "near empty" tank, you'll get a sputter since the fuel feed is on the left rear of the tank. I've done it once and ever since then if I see the R30 indicator pop up, I'm headed straight to the gas station.

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:18 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

As far as I know, the reserve went adios when the bikes were made to EFI. I've been in your shoes once or twice. I guess I've finally gotten more aware of my fuel levels, and I hope to avoid it again if I can.

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:42 PM
wildman926
Cruiser

Never let it get past 1/4 of tank and you won't have this problem.

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:52 PM
olongapo1
Road Master

Question, Do You Have a Fuel Reserve in Your Car?

Back in the Day, before Harley added fuel gauges, the reserve valve on the petcock was a nice safety feature. With the introduction of the Twin Cam, Harley added fuel gauges to their bikes, even Carb'ed models which retained a petcock with reserve valve. I never understood why. If you have a fuel gauge, there is no need for a reserve valve. With today's fuel injected bikes with the fuel pump located within the tank, it's good practice not to go below 1/4 tank. The fuel acts as a coolant for the pump.

Old 01-03-2014 | 03:59 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

I'm glad my Heritage has a reserve.

Old 01-03-2014 | 05:13 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

My Harley is the first bike I've ever had with EFI. It bothered me at first not having a reserve like the rest of my bikes had but it's something you get used to. I don't worry about it anymore.

Old 01-03-2014 | 05:39 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

Back in the day I didn't like fooling around with the petcock while riding if I ran low on fuel, and I don't trust the fuel gauge on the newer bikes, so I've gotten used to using one of the trip meters. Just got in the habit of setting the "A" one to zero every time I fill up. I know I'm good for around 225 miles max out of a tank, so somewhere around 175 miles I start looking for a gas station. The "B" trip meter I use to measure trips. Works for me!

Old 01-03-2014 | 05:51 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member

Change to a shute off valve and you will have a reserve.

Old 01-03-2014 | 05:55 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by olongapo1
Question, Do You Have a Fuel Reserve in Your Car?

Back in the Day, before Harley added fuel gauges, the reserve valve on the petcock was a nice safety feature. With the introduction of the Twin Cam, Harley added fuel gauges to their bikes, even Carb'ed models which retained a petcock with reserve valve. I never understood why. If you have a fuel gauge, there is no need for a reserve valve. With today's fuel injected bikes with the fuel pump located within the tank, it's good practice not to go below 1/4 tank. The fuel acts as a coolant for the pump.
Harley had fuel gauges long before the TC. I know my '93 Classic had a fuel gauge,and IIRC my '83 Classic had a fuel gauge.[and on both of them,I still used the odometer to watch my fuel.

Quick Reply: Hate Having No Fuel Reserve On Breakout