Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate Having No Fuel Reserve On Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014 | 06:08 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member

I was so used to turning the petcock off after riding that when I got my Harley I found myself looking to turn gas on and off when I ride it. Myself I gas up every hundred miles out of habit from my other scoots. I always found that when I hit reserve I would suck all the trash out of the tank and a carb tear down was mandatory. Oh well thats what comes with riding old bikes.
On my Heritage I went down to 21 miles remaining once without a sputter, but I sure was nervous.

Old 01-03-2014 | 06:10 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I'm glad my Heritage has a reserve.
I'm sure I met the same two girls in Northern Spain, last time I was passing through.

Old 01-03-2014 | 06:15 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

Reset your trip odometer at every fill up and you will be good to go.

Old 01-03-2014 | 06:32 PM
Suntower
Road Master

Motorcycle fuel gauges are worthless... always go by mileage.

One thing I won't miss about the reserve... riding though the middle of the desert, bike starts to sputter, reach down to switch it to reserve... then have the unpleasant realization that it's ALREADY on reserve. Oooooops.

Old 01-03-2014 | 08:07 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

[quote=Suntower;12157465]Motorcycle fuel gauges are worthless... always go by mileage.
One thing I won't miss about the reserve... riding though the middle of the desert, bike starts to sputter, reach down to switch it to reserve... then have the unpleasant realization that it's ALREADY on reserve. Oooooops.[/quote]

.......... I always look at my gauge when I leave , I know its not right , but it gives me a general idea .

Old 01-03-2014 | 09:22 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Back in the day I didn't like fooling around with the petcock while riding if I ran low on fuel, and I don't trust the fuel gauge on the newer bikes, so I've gotten used to using one of the trip meters. Just got in the habit of setting the "A" one to zero every time I fill up. I know I'm good for around 225 miles max out of a tank, so somewhere around 175 miles I start looking for a gas station. The "B" trip meter I use to measure trips. Works for me!
That's exactly what I do.

If Im low on fuel I always fuel up before I put the bike away for the day. This way if I choose to run out on one of those spurt of the moment rides I don't have to worry about stopping at the gas station.

Old 01-04-2014 | 05:46 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suntower
Motorcycle fuel gauges are worthless... always go by mileage.
I'll have to disagree with you on this one, at least as for "all" fuel gauges are worthless.

When my speedo/tach reads "0 miles until empty" I pretty much can be assured that I've got between 18-22 miles until I'm walking.

I've run it down there quite a few times and at "0 miles until empty" I generally have about 1/2 gallon left in the tank.

Now as for my LED gauge on the tank, that's a POS and I think I can judge how much gas I have better by tapping on the side of the tank than going by what that gauge is telling me

Last edited by Bluraven; 01-04-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-04-2014 | 07:30 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

I'm not sure what the difference is between manually turning to reserve or eyeballing that you need gas. You need gas.

Old 01-04-2014 | 08:16 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Back in the day I didn't like fooling around with the petcock while riding if I ran low on fuel, and I don't trust the fuel gauge on the newer bikes, so I've gotten used to using one of the trip meters. Just got in the habit of setting the "A" one to zero every time I fill up. I know I'm good for around 225 miles max out of a tank, so somewhere around 175 miles I start looking for a gas station. The "B" trip meter I use to measure trips. Works for me!
Yea, it's actually pretty simple...when my trip odometer gets to 150 miles I'm ready to stop for a fill up. I don't let my tank get past 1 gallon of gas left in it so I'm not walking it to a gas station. Usually takes about 3.5 to 3.7 gals. to fill up the tank.

Old 01-04-2014 | 08:34 AM
Trak350
Tourer

Yeah I've sweated bullets once on a ride. Fuel light came on and I pushed it another 25 miles at 80mph. When I filled up I had .6 of a gallon left. I think I was right at 200 miles on my NT. At least now I know I can do 200 miles on a tank

Quick Reply: Hate Having No Fuel Reserve On Breakout