Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there such thing as too much customization?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013 | 05:02 PM
stal94gt
|
Road Master
Default is there such thing as too much customization?

Been thinking things threw on my bike and I am starting to feel like I am loosing the Harley side of it. I didn't like how my bike looked when I bought it but I had big hopes for how I wanted it to be. I don't think I really like any factory Harley styling but always feel they can be made to look like whatever one dreams of. Anyways is there a point where it stops being a Harley and more like a custom bike.

Old 12-29-2013 | 05:08 PM
gerjets
Road Master

Hey, whatever makes you feel good. I personally think people can go overboard but I try not to judge. For me, I try to remember that my primary purpose is to RIDE, so I tend to make modifications to get better performance and functionality based on how I use my bike. Others have different reasons for making their mods.

Old 12-29-2013 | 05:11 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Just like anything...clothes/accessories, tattoos/piercings, Christmas lights, cars and bikes...to me, there can be overkill with customizing. More isn't always better. There can be too much black, too much chrome, too much crap add to it.

I guess I'm more into simple things but that's me!

Old 12-29-2013 | 06:20 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Default Mods

Yes you can over due it all has to work as a whole. As another member said you can over due any thing there comes a point when you have to know its there that's not saying you can't change things we all do, some great looking bars come, around and you got to have them. Thing is you can put a few things on that don't fit the bike look well. you have to step back and look at it as a whole and you should be able to tell.

Old 12-29-2013 | 06:55 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member

Harleys have always been personalized by their customers and even the models Harley sale today was at some point a customized Harley like the slim bobber, the switchback, seventy two sportster, street glide, and so on.

Old 12-29-2013 | 07:02 PM
stal94gt
|
Road Master

I originally wanted that edge to make the bike more personal. Over time and modification it becomes to look more like a custom bike than a Harley. Many bikes I see still hold the heart of what the bike is so you know what model it is. recent modifications I have in progress have me wondering if it will loose its original identity

Old 12-29-2013 | 07:06 PM
jam436
Supporter

..that depends on your definition of "too much"...

Old 12-29-2013 | 07:35 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Absolutely you do overdo a bike, 30 yrs ago we had one guy at work that probably had $10 in options on his GoldWing.
Back then I think a new bike was around $8K.. He had almost every mod That Markland offered and it look like Crap.

I remember he had the dealer change his plates one time and they charged him 1 1/2 hrs labor.
He had soo many light bars, racks and other things they had to remove to just get to the plate bolts.

Balance and flow and KISS is good advice.

Old 12-29-2013 | 07:43 PM
Suntower
Road Master

Nope.

You like it? Cool.

Does your buddy/neighbor/guy online like it? Who gives a ****.

Old 12-29-2013 | 08:01 PM
Stone Cliff
Tourer

Originally Posted by stal94gt
Been thinking things threw on my bike and I am starting to feel like I am loosing the Harley side of it. I didn't like how my bike looked when I bought it but I had big hopes for how I wanted it to be. I don't think I really like any factory Harley styling but always feel they can be made to look like whatever one dreams of. Anyways is there a point where it stops being a Harley and more like a custom bike.
It depends on who you are trying to satisfy. If It's you, then don't even question it and do what You like. If it's others, then keep asking for opinions and get a thousand different answers.

Last edited by Stone Cliff; 12-30-2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: edit

Quick Reply: is there such thing as too much customization?