Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beach bars for short girls!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 PM
bbrigette
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beach bars for short girls!

So I recently bought a 2012 Heritage Softail......the bike of my dreams. I got it used and it has beach bars on it. WIDE beach bars! 35.5 in from tip to tip. I didn't think I would like them but I LOVE them! Just one problem, I can't do tight turns! I feel like a new rider all over again.
Granted, this is a totally different ride from the Dyna Street Bob I had. The main reason I did not like the street Bob was the handlebars. The mini apes never worked for me and it would have cost about a grand to change them. I struggled for 4 years with those bars. Finally tossed in the towel and got this bike.
I'm hesitant to run out and swap out bars but geez, I've got to be able to do tight turns/u-turns in California. Most main roads in So Cal/Orange County have a center divider so ya gotta be able to do u-turns.
I have a couple of options:
1. Stick with these and hope I get better with more riding
2. Swap out for a narrow beach bar that is 32.5 wide from tip to tip
3. Go to stock bars

Since I had so much trouble with the bars on the old bike and since my arms and shoulders are in maximum position for comfort with these beach bars I'm nervous about changing out bars. Not to mention the potential cost. She has internal wiring and awesome braided cables and looks amaze ***** with these bars.
FYI......I've been riding for a few years.....this is my 5th bike and I've clocked about 45k miles.

Any wise thoughts?

Old 12-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I ordered BR bars to my measurements, I stuck with the stock bar width because I didn't want to be spread out like a sail in the wind.

If me, I'd replace the 35.5" you are uncomfortable with with the 32.5 you're considering.

If you go to any bike rally, you might ask if you can sit on another's bike with different beach bars to see how they feel to you.

Bill in this video shows how a mock up will remove a lot of the guessing on what you want.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

A little shiftyness on the seat may help on tight turns. I also have really wide bars and to do full turn I have to let go of one hand. None the less with a lot of lean I can do a "u" turn my bike just about anywhere

Last edited by stal94gt; 12-27-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me a season (we have those here) to get used to my beach bars when I got them especially since I run them low and my old stock seat was high and forward. I would say stick with it awhile since that wont cost you anything to try. You will eventually get used to it. If not a bar swap isn't bad unless you have internal wiring. Then its time or cash.

One of the cool things about humans is that we can get used to just about anything being highly adaptive and all...look at the old suicide shifters on the vintage bikes, people just got used to it and it was no big deal. Roll with it.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

I agree with Motown. Give it more time. If worse comes to worst you can always swap out the bars, but, you like them and your turns may improve with them in time.

I have the wide beach bars on my Heritage as well and, with time and practice, what I lost in turning radius of the handlebars I gained in lean and counterbalance.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Give it a few months (or longer) before making any change. SJ Ron

Old 12-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny. I had beach bars on my last bike (VTX) and always struggled finding just the right sweet spot where I liked them. Ended up getting 4" risers which helped and then I traded the bike off a few months later for the Heritage. I love the mini apes stock. Perfect riding position for me. Different strokes I guess.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

I kept the 4" risers and put Bikini Beach bars on my Deluxe. It brought them back some. It took a bit of time getting used to the tight turns,,,but it did come. They aren't for everyone, but it may feel more natural in time.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 AM
SkinnyonFatboyLo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One option is loosen the risers and adjust the positioning of the bars. They might either be to high or low as far as hand position and that could be throwing you off in your confidence to make the tight turns

Old 12-28-2013, 01:19 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would stay with what I have and play with them a while before I made a move. If you do make a move I didn't see apes on your list of options. I didn't think I would like mine, I was willing to sacrifice some comfort for looks only to find out I love these apes. If I knew how much I would like them I would have had them long ago, many bikes ago.

Quick Reply: Beach bars for short girls!