Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013 | 07:45 PM
Bodenjones
|
Stage IV
Smile Clutch advise

Hi,got a stage two 1550 softail 2005 and when she is hot I find it hard to find neutral ,I feel the clutch is dragging?

What clutch replacement do you guys recommend ? Standard ? Or

I have been looking at a Rivera primo pro pc1298ca clutch at about $450 of eBay,is this the one to fit?

Also what oil? ATF ? To run with it?

Any comments will be most welcome!

Regards

Rj

Old 12-28-2013 | 03:02 PM
TonyGinFla
Cruiser

Sounds as though the clutch adjustment at the clutch might be too tight. You can check it by removing the derby cover from the primary cover, and it's not too hard to adjust. I don't know how knowledgeable you are about the clutch, so I apologize if this comes across as being overly simplistic. In the center of the clutch basket there's a threaded rod with a hex key slot in the end of it with a nut around it. The nut is a jam nut that keeps the rod from moving after it's adjusted. Loosen that nut and back the rod out a bit (counterclockwise). Then turn the rod inward until it just makes contact with the internal linking rod that runs into the transmission to the clutch actuating mechanism ... you'll feel it. (Work the clutch lever a couple of times to make sure the actuating mechanism is going through it's full range of motion and recheck that the adjusting rod is just making contact with the linkage ... just a double check). Then back the adjusting rod out 1/2 to 1 full turn. Remember to lock down the jam nut. Hopefully that will save you the cost of a new clutch.

Old 12-29-2013 | 12:06 AM
bigblock59
Tourer

i had this exact problem after the dealer did a stage 2 upgrade for me early this spring. i had them put in a heavy duty barnett clutch spring for cheap insurance. then i had the issues. they removed the one they had put in and installed a se one at no extra cost to me. night and day difference. clutch pull was easier and i could find nuetral more often than not. they told me they were having a lot of issues with them and don't use them anymore. stiff lever pull, not being able to find nuetral especially when warm, dragging issues. worst part of no nuetral for me was long traffic lights and holding the clutch for a while. your situation maybe completely different but i thought any info is better than none at all.