Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

found a broke rear spoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013 | 02:42 PM
FlyLow
|
Road Master
Default found a broke rear spoke

While cleaning my bike (2003 Heritage 20K miles)this week I found a broke rear spoke, the rest were all still tight Not sure what happened to cause it to break. But I figure it would be wiser to invest in a new rear wheel, or a pair of custom wheels if I can find something that still keeps with the vintage look.
Guys any idea what custom wheels I should be looking at that works for you guys?
Thanks ahead of time
And make an extra effort to inspect your spokes!!

Old 12-26-2013 | 03:42 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Don't worry about what works for us, get what you want!!

Old 12-26-2013 | 04:36 PM
zyonsdream
Tourer

Personally no billet wheel is going to replace a spoke rim in my opinion. They look classic because they are classic. It would be a hell of a lot less money to have a shop replace the broken spoke and true the wheel than it would be to replace the wheels with custom billet wheels.

If you want to go to billet, then lose the idea of keeping the vintage appeal of your bike. Also understand that the increased rotational mass will slow your bike down during acceleration. Wheel weight is unsprung weight and you will always feel the difference.

Old 12-26-2013 | 04:50 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by FlyLow
But I figure it would be wiser to invest in a new rear wheel, or a pair of custom wheels if I can find something that still keeps with the vintage look.
Hummmm. Could it have been cut, as an excuse, to make it easier to get a new wheel or two.

Old 12-26-2013 | 05:21 PM
FlyLow
|
Road Master

I live 2.5 hours drive to the nearest HD dealer, I have a Guy that works on Harleys about an hour drive from me. and I know he want have the equipment to true wheels if either he or myself tried replacing the spokes I figure if one broke it's just a matter of time before the rest of them break off too so I want be comfortable until all the spokes are replaced. Not sure it does look like corrosion to me where it came from I don't know as my bike has always been kept in a shed when not riding as long as I have had the bike which was 2006.
Thanks Guys I guess I could take it off and send the wheel somewhere for repair. I've replaced rear wheels with chains but never replaced one with a belt I am sure it will need the proper tension on the belt. Never had a spoke problem on my 19632 panhead. the other bikes I have owned all had cast wheel except the pan and a sporty!! Sometimes I wish I still lived in the city compaired to out here where they have to pipe sunshne to you.

Old 12-26-2013 | 05:39 PM
schlacker
Stellar HDF Member

I've had spoke wheels on my last 3 bikes which covers the last 24 years. Never heard of a broken spoke before. Over tightened at some point would be my first guess and would lead me into getting both wheels checked out by an expert.

Old 12-27-2013 | 05:43 AM
FlyLow
|
Road Master

It was a first time for me to find one also, I was thinking more a fault in the spoke it was where it attaches to the hub. I do not go down gravel roads, or ride on salted roads so I have no idea what could have happened. with heritage bags on the bike there was no way someone would have gone to the trouble to cut the spoke.
I figure the last tire change it could have been damaged, but who knows

Old 12-27-2013 | 07:29 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

I get your point about the other spokes making you nervous. I personally have never bought anything off Ebay, but I hear it's pretty popular. Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVID...04ee70&vxp=mtr

Old 12-27-2013 | 08:24 AM
Raddazzz
Road Captain

just take your rear wheel off and send it out for a new spoke and a rim true. Have them check the bearings and maybe even a new tire if needed. I had all this done on my 97 heritage a few years ago by a guy I know who works at a honda dealership. You can mark where your axle was before so you can put it all back together with the same belt tightness as before. Might as well check your brake pads while your at it too lol...

Old 12-27-2013 | 09:23 AM
tmilo1000
Tourer

I would check the rest of the spokes, replace and re-true the wheel. Why replace the wheel because of one broken spoke? Parts do wear out and break and have to be replaced. Unless you want to replace the wheels anyway. Cast or billet wheels would ruin the look in my opinion and maybe even the re-sale or trade-in value.

Quick Reply: found a broke rear spoke