Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Information on Deluxe. Handling/Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 02:47 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
Says you... I've ridden some quite spirited runs over Molas, Coal Banks, and Red Mountain Passes on the Milliion Dollar Highway more times than I can count on my Deluxe (with fishtails). Yeah it scrapes the footboards in the switchbacks, but I'd put down some Benjamins against a timed run. It may appeal to the slow & show crowd, but it really isn't any worse than a Dyna, bagger, or other softie. A Ducati it isn't, but I beg to differ on your saying either jack it up or ride it like a grandma.
I have also rode those routes many times on a Deluxe and a lowered Heritage. You quickly learn how aggressive you can be and ride within your bikes limitations. SJ Ron

Old 12-24-2013, 03:36 AM
cvfd17
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 2007 Deluxe with true duals and fishtails. Rode many twisties, switchbacks and tried to scrape the boards. Only happened once! That's was one up loaded with gear

Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 AM
bbrigette
Intermediate

I owned a Dyna Street Bob and have just purchased a Heritage Softail. The Dyna definitely handled the corners and twisties quicker and faster. However, in terms of comfort, the Heritage wins. I've only had it for two months and it's been lowered so I'm trying to relearn cornering w/o scraping the boards. I AM a Grandma but learning how to slow it down a bit

Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh, and to add... a Wide Glide is worse in the twisties as the 21" front tends to chatter a lot more and the turning radius is not as tight resulting in you ending up in the opposite lane easier than on a Deluxe. That 16" front tire on the Deluxe and the softail rear suspension is like an old Caddy. They're that smooth!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:09 AM
zyonsdream
Tourer

Yah, a test ride is in order but the only time I scrape the ground in on slower turns at red lights and stop signs. At speed, I never really have a problem cornering even when riding two up. I have 16" apes on mine so super aggressive cornering is not my thing.

I do agree that the stock seat pushes you forward but if that's not cool, there are about a billion seats that can change that. Also, I'm pretty sure some company makes narrower floorboards to minimize scraping.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:18 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Deluxe, and think it's the best looking HD on the road. I'd own one in a second IF I didn't feel so cramped up on one! I test rode one that I was going to buy, and in less than 5 miles I changed my mind. I couldn't wait to get back to the dealer and get off it. It was the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden. Are there any secrets to getting more comfy on this bike? I felt like I was sitting on top the tank, and the bars were under my armpits. "Scrunched" would be the best description. I WANT one, but I want to be able to ride it also. I'm definitely NOT an ape hanger guy, to me that spoils the whole look of the bike. Would straight risers instead of the curved back ones help? As a side note, the dealer said he wasn't at all surprised I felt scrunched up because the Deluxe was made for women.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 01-03-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:54 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Deluxe, and think it's the best looking HD on the road. I'd own one in a second IF I didn't feel so cramped up on one! I test rode one that I was going to buy, and in less than 5 miles I changed my mind. I couldn't wait to get back to the dealer and get off it. It was the most uncomfortable bike I've ever ridden. Are there any secrets to getting more comfy on this bike? I felt like I was sitting on top the tank, and the bars were under my armpits. "Scrunched" would be the best description. I WANT one, but I want to be able to ride it also. I'm definitely NOT an ape hanger guy, to me that spoils the whole look of the bike. Would straight risers instead of the curved back ones help? As a side note, the dealer said he wasn't at all surprised I felt scrunched up because the Deluxe was made for women.
I replied on your other post, but you are correct that the bike setup is for women or short guys. If you are over 6', you will be very cramped. I added apes, footboard extensions, highway pegs, and a Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs seat and I am now stretched out on the bike and I can ride for hundreds of miles at a time with no issues. The stock setup is a killer for guys over 6'. SJ Ron

Old 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
I added apes, footboard extensions, highway pegs, and a Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs seat and I am now stretched out on the bike and I can ride for hundreds of miles at a time with no issues.
Ditto. Apes, longer HD footboards, highway pegs, and a Fat Boy seat. Stretches me way out. T-bars would work as well. Longest day was 9.5 hours/650ish miles.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Thanks! I do really love the bike. That may do it for me!

Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

The Deluxe is a woman's bike???? It is so only if one is riding it. Otherwise it is a classy looking chromed up Softail. As far as handling, none of them will corner like a Dyna, but they are much more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Need Information on Deluxe. Handling/Ride