Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy goes Chubby (508 handlebars installed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:57 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy goes Chubby (508 handlebars installed)

I just installed and internally wired Wild1 Chubby 508 handlebars on my my Fatboy, it wasn't to difficult and it turned out very nicely. I'm not sure why some people had problems with the internal wiring it was easy. The hardest part was disconnecting the crossover tube for the gas tank. Removing tank easy.

I didn't need to extend the wires so that made it easy just to take apart the connection plugs. I took digital pics of connections just in case I loose the paper with the info.

Before installing the bars on the bike I tied a string to a nut and tossed it in one end of the bar, the first side took 45 sec and the other took 9 sec. Then I tied some steel wire to the string and pulled that through the bar. I mounted the bars, wrapped the steel wire to the switch wire harness and pulled it through while a buddy fed the the switch end wire harness through the other end.

I also restored the risers back to the short factory ones. I didn't want to remove the Necelle so I had to install the risers through the headlight opening.

I just love the low profile look of these bars. The next day by buddy took this pic for me.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
2002fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Fatboy goes Chubby (518 handlebars installed)

Sweet! How about posting some pics with more angles of those bars if you get time. I'm considering getting those myself. I'm 5'10" and have the stock bars and when I ride, I feel more comfortable if part of my hand is hanging off the end of the grips like it just needs to be a little wider and further back. Had also been considering the HD Narrow Beach Bar. Great post.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Great post andvery informative on what you did and how, butI have two suggestions though.

1) We need better picture of the new bars
and
2) If yo know that chick, you may want to add a rear seat for her. [sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

I've ridden about 100 miles since switching to 518's myself. At first they felt a little wierd, the wrist angle is a little different than the stock bars and they seem wider, but it didn't take long to get used to it and they look NICE!! I think you'll like them as well.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:38 PM
SMSgt B
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the feel of these bars. I used to get a cramp in my left shoulder from the OEM bars but now I can ride all day. Extremely comfortable and alse love the looks. BTW...the nacelle on your fatboy looks great.

V/r

Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Beautiful Fatboy! The model ain't too bad either.

I added the 518's to my RKC in December and have really liked them. Like another said, the pain in the middle of my back disappeared when I added the Chubby's. You can go to my picture gallery to see some more shots of the bars on my bike.

I

Old 03-17-2007, 02:44 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

This mod was the most labor intensive as far as all the things that needed to be done, but everything went like clock work so that made it easy. The shop manual really helped.

I've had a chance to test out these bars last week, I took a ride up to San Francisco. No cramping behind my sholder blades. The width of the bars has a good feel to it, at first I was concern about the grips being to much of an angle but I got use to it really fast just like what the guy at Wild1 said. He said when riding your more inside the bars then behind them. I espacially like the low profile feel of the bars, all of a sudden I feel like I have more visiblity over the bars without the 4.5" risers in the way. The best part is the look of the low profile, I thought the 4.5" riser never looked good on top of the Necelle. Now the FAT bars and riser covers complement the look of the Necelle.

The model is a friend who is the current Miss San Jose Grand Prix and Miss Asian America, Jennifer Field.

My photographer friend wanted to use my garage for a shoot, when they were done I just rolled my ride onto the set. I have another pic with me on the bike, but I know you all would rather see Jennifer then me...ha ha. I have a camera I'll take more pics of the 508 bars this weekend.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:58 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE. Love the bike, the color and the mods.

It is snowy, cold, and 2:56am, but just a few minutes ago I gripped my 518's just because. Maybe I'll see you on the road when the weather breaks!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 2002fatboy

Sweet! How about posting some pics with more angles of those bars if you get time. I'm considering getting those myself. I'm 5'10" and have the stock bars and when I ride, I feel more comfortable if part of my hand is hanging off the end of the grips like it just needs to be a little wider and further back. Had also been considering the HD Narrow Beach Bar. Great post.
I hope these pics give you some idea of the placement of the grips:

This is taken from up high so you can see how wide the bars are, also note how far they pull back

You can see the low profile look here

These two pics show how far the bars come when they are turned. I guess for big guys these bars may come to close

Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 AM
Hobe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the 518's on my Fatboy a couple of months ago and really like them. With the stock bars I felt that I was too far forward, now if anything I feel a little too far back. Oh well, a mustang seat with a backrest for the long trips and all will be good.

Quick Reply: Fatboy goes Chubby (508 handlebars installed)