Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Santa came early!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013 | 08:18 PM
sixshooter
|
Road Master
Default Santa came early!

Picked up my Power Vision today for the Deuce! After using my chrome cash points from the HD credit card, and the dealer just happening to have a 15% accessories sale running today, I walked out of the store with the Power Vision in hand for... $29

Bike is going to the tuner this winter for cams as well, maaaaybe a 103" kit. Haven't decided yet, it depends on what my tuner can talk me into when I go see him this week haha. I'm hoping to hit 100/100, so we'll see.

Old 12-22-2013 | 07:02 AM
PitBullMcCoy
Cruiser

Just do it man. Just do it. Lol. Congrats. You got a hell of a deal.

Old 01-08-2014 | 07:37 PM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

Went and talked to the local engine builder who's going to dyno tune the bike. I have two choices:

Cams/tune - $1000-$1200
103" big bore/cams/tune/upgrade oil pump/adj. pushrods - $2500

Not sure on the oil pump issue, weather these engines really do have scavenging issues and could use the upgrade, or I'm being sold parts for $375. Gotta do some more research.

Old 01-09-2014 | 08:04 AM
Cougar1959
Cruiser

It ONLY, your MONEY, right! Do the 103 upgrade.

Old 02-19-2014 | 09:17 PM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

well, just my luck. Engine builder called tonight. Crank is bent, .030" runout on the end, cam plate and oil pump are shot.

so my options:

spend $2500-$3000 just to get it runable and have a stock bike
spend $4000-$4500 to get it runable and do the cams/tune like planned
put it together, pay him the $400 in labor I owe him, and trade it in on a sand camo SG.

the bike doesn't owe me anything. Thoughts?

Old 02-19-2014 | 09:33 PM
Ink83
Road Warrior

Trying to understand what's happened here..So you went ahead with the upgrade you talked of 5-6 weeks ago and the tuner destroyed your engine?

Old 02-20-2014 | 04:47 AM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ink83
Trying to understand what's happened here..So you went ahead with the upgrade you talked of 5-6 weeks ago and the tuner destroyed your engine?
No, he took it apart to do the work and found all the damage during disassembly. He said he didn't even have to put a dial indicator on the crank initially to notice it was bent, he could see it with his eyes, that's how out of whack it is. Going today to get prices and options. Part of me wants to throw it together and dump it off, but the non-******* in me can't do it. Being the rarest deuce of the production years, I've always had the intention of keeping it forever, I'll probably just repair it and keep it. I know just from our conversation last night on the phone, I'm in for at the very least a crank, oil pump, cam plate, cam chain and tensioner, plus labor. So probably $2500-$3000 just to repair it and leave it stock. On the bright side, all the labor initially quoted in my cam swap is going to be done in the crank repair, so if the cam swap and tune is only going to run another $500-$700 more than the repair, I'll probably just do it. The last thing I want to do is spend $3000 at an engine builder and have it come back just the same as when it went.

Last edited by sixshooter; 02-20-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-20-2014 | 05:38 AM
fatboy1729
Road Captain

That sucks man. How was your bike running overall before the purchase of the power vision and a decision to have an engine upgrade? Was your bike running fine before all this? I am sorry if I am not understanding this...I am no engine expert but with a bent crank and everything else your engine guy said what was wrong, you had no issues with the bike? So sorry to hear this about your bike. Good luck and hopefully you keep us up to date on the progress...Ray...

Old 02-20-2014 | 05:45 AM
sixshooter
|
Road Master

There was an extremely rare hard start issue, which I had attributed to the pinhole in the gas line issue common on the FI bikes, builder was going to check it when he did the tune. My bike ran fine, never had a low oil pressure warning or knock or anything, she ran like a raped date. My builder said he saw this one other time, a guy had around .008" runout and against his suggestions, owner decided to run it. Said a few weeks earlier he had locked the brakes for a deer hard enough to stall the engine, and a few days later he saw his oil pressure drop a few psi. Engine lasted a month after the builder put it back together for the guy, then wiped out the bottom end. My bike is a salvage title, rebuilt by a dealer 15k miles ago, front end damage. Maybe the same thing happened before the wreck? If that's the case, I'd say I was extremely lucky to get 15k out of it with a bent crank. I ride mine relatively hard, but nothing like I've seen some people.

Old 02-20-2014 | 07:58 AM
Juiced_deuce
Cruiser

sixshooter

i had my deuce twist the crank in my 95", spend the money get the crank sent out to darkhorse as it will take about a month to get it back. send the jugs and heads to diamond cut for a show cut thats 550.00 but definately looks way better.

when i had mine go south on me, i had a se cam plate put in couple months before and it wiped out and destroyed it. it also took out a bearing completely.

1 thing with HP/Torque its gonna cost ya money either up front or on the back side if you skimped to begin with.

Quick Reply: Santa came early!