Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carlini Flying Ape Pullback

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:34 AM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tbonetony06
I got the Gangster 14", 1.5" 1.5" bra riser. They do run a litle tall but these fit me perfect, I'm 5'10". If I knew how well I would have liked these I would have done it many moons ago. rockinred, how's the internal thing going or is it?
Hey Tony.... I almost have the last of parts that I needed to get done. I have to push the internals another month to January. I have 5 kiddos and that's going to empty the pocket book. lol

Old 12-19-2013, 07:03 AM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Benway... here are a few picture of the flying apes to help you get an idea. I am only 5ft 8in. Here are some actual pictures of my bike with some Flying Apes 18 inch and then 14 inch Flying apes because I just felt that the 18's were to big. I ordered 16s from Carlini and they sent me the 18s. I later had to contact them to change out to 14s from the 18s.

My point in this is to give you a reference on how it can look and then also the pull back and effect. If I can get by with 18s at 5'8" and not have them leaning toward me I would say you can gauge what you need to off these. I have been riding with Apes for a long time, but I don't like to reach. Shoulder height or 1-2 inches above my shoulders is fine. Anything else is too much. I did pull back the 18s to keep them pretty comfortable, but I wanted them cocked forward to so I did that.

I don't care to have my picture of my ugly mug online so I will probably take these down after a while, but hopefully you and whoever else is wondering will get a good idea of how to judge these bars and pull the trigger.

18s original set up riding.

These are the 14's actually riding. This picture below is on an angle so the left side seems higher, but I am leaning into a turn. These bars sit about right at shoulder height and comfortable. more like my 16s in the past is how they feel and were I want them to be for me.

Lastly... Here is a picture of some 1.5 bars I did 16 inch with drag specialties. These bars had more pull back and a drop down on the rise with a different angle on the bars. I like the way the carlinis look better, but these bars were more comfortable on the ride overall. Overall I can ride anywhere anytime on either bars.

In the 18in pictures I had to focus on riding with my body posture upright to get that look. On my 14s I can now ride a little slouched which is the way I prefer. Good luck! Hope this helps in all areas.

Last edited by rockinred; 12-20-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Havic08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little late, I am liking my flying apes 12', however I would have liked them if they where little lower. I knew they might run little higher but not that much based on eariler posting. they look awesome though. Cannot go wrong with any of the Carlini bars.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM
dave13smr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the 16" Carlini Evil Apes. I am 6' ft tall. The fit and quality are excellent.

Attached Thumbnails Carlini Flying Ape Pullback-2013-12-07-13.00.29.jpg  
Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Been there done that Dude. I raised my 2 kids alone. Nothing comes before kids/family. In fact I sold my last bike to pay for lawyers to fight for and to get custody. I would do it again in a heartbeat too.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:22 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rockinred
Benway... here are a few picture of the flying apes to help you get an idea. I am only 5ft 8in. Here are some actual pictures of my bike with some Flying Apes 18 inch and then 14 inch Flying apes because I just felt that the 18's were to big. I ordered 16s from Carlini and they sent me the 18s. I later had to contact them to change out to 14s from the 18s.

My point in this is to give you a reference on how it can look and then also the pull back and effect. If I can get by with 18s at 5'8" and not have them leaning toward me I would say you can gauge what you need to off these. I have been riding with Apes for a long time, but I don't like to reach. Shoulder height or 1-2 inches above my shoulders is fine. Anything else is too much. I did pull back the 18s to keep them pretty comfortable, but I wanted them cocked forward to so I did that.

I don't care to have my picture of my ugly mug online so I will probably take these down after a while, but hopefully you and whoever else is wondering will get a good idea of how to judge these bars and pull the trigger.

18s original set up riding.

These are the 14's actually riding. This picture below is on an angle so the left side seems higher, but I am leaning into a turn. These bars sit about right at shoulder height and comfortable. more like my 16s in the past is how they feel and were I want them to be for me.

Im a little slouched down on this pic, but as you can see they are about shoulder hight but don't look like a typical 14inch bars.

Here is a random pick from the back in my garage to check how wide the bars are at 41in wide. I like them wide and big.

Lastly... Here is a picture of some 1.5 bars I did 16 inch with drag specialties. These bars had more pull back and a drop down on the rise with a different angle on the bars. I like the way the carlinis look better, but these bars were more comfortable on the ride overall. Overall I can ride anywhere anytime on either bars.

In the 18in pictures I had to focus on riding with my body posture upright to get that look. On my 14s I can now ride a little slouched which is the way I prefer. Good luck! Hope this helps in all areas.
Great pics man, thanks!

Yeah, I love the look of the Carlini Flying Apes, but the actual hand position of the Drag Specialties. Looks like 14" is the way to go though...

Old 12-19-2013, 03:03 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

OP, I know you are not going to like this, but at somewhere around 5'4" I would steer clear of Carlini apes unless they make some with 10" rise that you happen to like. I think you will like them for a while when the newness of them is the main focus. When that wears off you are not going to be comfortable. It is not just about going in a straight line. It is about slow parking lot maneuvers, backing up trying to look over your shoulder, backing up with bars in full lock to the left or right, executing a safe U-turn, etc. I am through with sacrificing comfort and safety for a look. Take it for what it is worth.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:35 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmmm, I find that all to be just the opposite for me. I find I have a greater ease to maneuvering my bike around with my apes. This is also my very 1st set after all these years too. In fact, I wish I would have learned about them long ago, I would of had them. I doubt I will ever go with anything else again.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:12 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I am sure it is all opposite for you Tony. Not talking about you. Talking about an individual who is 5'4" considering a 38" width bar. I can say with almost certainty that his experience will not be the same as yours.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
OP, I know you are not going to like this, but at somewhere around 5'4" I would steer clear of Carlini apes unless they make some with 10" rise that you happen to like. I think you will like them for a while when the newness of them is the main focus. When that wears off you are not going to be comfortable. It is not just about going in a straight line. It is about slow parking lot maneuvers, backing up trying to look over your shoulder, backing up with bars in full lock to the left or right, executing a safe U-turn, etc. I am through with sacrificing comfort and safety for a look. Take it for what it is worth.
gregeinsc, this is partially why I'm moving away from the beach bars. Slow speed handling is just awful and double so with a passenger. I have also noticed that people will defend, until death, their purchase, but I'm more about striking a compromise to make for a safe, comfortable ride too.

This is all very informative and I appreciate everyone's thoughts (that's why I brought it up...)

SO,
I had a set of 10 mini-apes laying around, so since I'm off today, I put them on, rolled them forward so they're perpendicular to the ground and took off for a nice hour long ride (dodging the rain). (no other bikes out...)

Now get this: A LOT depends on the seat you have. If you have a seat like mine that nearly sits you on the frame, you're not going to be able to go with a rise others use with a stock seat.

SO, as I'm riding with these 10" bars, my hands are straight forward and nearly level with my shoulders, which means I could really only go with maybe 12" (14" max) (not Carlini 14", but true 14"). Love the ride though, so either way, I'm headed UP.

Also, a lot depends on how you ride. If you sit straight up, ram-rod like, you can go taller. I like to slouch down to feel like I'm IN the bike, not on it, also not to catch so much wind.

The bars I just put on have grips that curve back a bit towards you (not like the Carlinis that stick straight out sideways) and even with these I noticed quite a bit more reach was required for slow speed turning - your hands can barely reach the grip in a full lock turn - so I'd prefer, perhaps, the Wild 1s with a bit more natural hand position.

But I love the curve of those flying apes!

Anyway, getting closer to a decision...

Last edited by Benway; 12-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.