Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 05:41 PM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

When I had my 2014 FLSTC, I installed Progressive monotube cartridges manufactured by Progressive and installed 442 with RAP .
What a difference it made. Took away about 75% of front fork dipping and I was able to take twisties 10 to 15 mph faster.
You will truly enjoy that upgrade.
ENJOY THE RIDE

The following users liked this post:
Clammy (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 05:45 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,851 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Morish
When I had my 2014 FLSTC, I installed Progressive monotube cartridges manufactured by Progressive and installed 442 with RAP .
What a difference it made. Took away about 75% of front fork dipping and I was able to take twisties 10 to 15 mph faster.
You will truly enjoy that upgrade.
ENJOY THE RIDE
I have non-RAP 422s in the rear, and Progressive springs up front, but I'm really looking forward to going with the full Progressive montube setup.

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2021, 06:07 PM
Morish
Road Captain

Good call, I felt I was riding a new bike .
I use to scrap a little before i did the suspension upgrade. WELLLLLLL after the up grade, I was scraping a lot more. LOL
I look at it, that’s a good thing.

I now own a 2019 Heritage 114. The Stock suspension is good. Yes I still scrap but not as much do to the new design of the frame back in 2018.
If I decide to keep my 2019, I will do monotube cartridges too.

Clammy (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:12 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 905 Likes on 587 Posts

Here's my take. I did the RAPs and the Monotubes all at once. My initial thought was WTF did I do. The RAPs were dialed in to the softest setting and they were perfect. The Monotubes were set at OEM ride height, to me at first they felt punchy, stiff and as though I felt every bump in the road. But once I realized that this was what I wanted, to feel the road, the corners, dragging boards, it was exactly what I wanted. after a few rides and couple hundred miles, I don't feel it anymore, what I feel is a smooth front end absorbing the bumps and bruises of the road. I don't give two ***** about what other riders think or say about Progressive, it was the best upgrade to my bike to date, well except maybe the Feuling kit.
Originally Posted by Clammy
I have non-RAP 422s in the rear, and Progressive springs up front, but I'm really looking forward to going with the full Progressive montube setup.

Clammy (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:28 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
Here's my take. I did the RAPs and the Monotubes all at once. My initial thought was WTF did I do. The RAPs were dialed in to the softest setting and they were perfect. The Monotubes were set at OEM ride height, to me at first they felt punchy, stiff and as though I felt every bump in the road. But once I realized that this was what I wanted, to feel the road, the corners, dragging boards, it was exactly what I wanted. after a few rides and couple hundred miles, I don't feel it anymore, what I feel is a smooth front end absorbing the bumps and bruises of the road. I don't give two ***** about what other riders think or say about Progressive, it was the best upgrade to my bike to date, well except maybe the Feuling kit.
The 422s were a serious upgrade over the stock rear shocks. The Progressive springs were a noticeable improvement over the stock mushy front springs. I expect a noticeable improvement over those with the monotubes. Like you I can "feel" the road better with the Progressives.

I've never heard anyone badmouth Progressive. Quite the opposite. That's one of the main reasons I've used their products. And they've delivered.

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 01-13-2021 at 07:23 PM.
04FXDI (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 06:37 PM
Morish
Road Captain

I’m 100% in agreement with you man. I prefer to feel the road than riding a Cloud.
Progressive manufacturers a quality product. Folks that bash them are just ignorant.
With no hesitation, I would use their suspension upgrades in a heart beat.

A few folks told me to go with Olins but what a difference in price.
I knew I was going to sell my Heritage in a few years so I went with Progressive and extremely happy .

Last edited by Morish; 01-13-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Clammy (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:11 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Well. LMK say this, the 422s to me feel like I'm riding on a cloud at the softest setting, But if I want to drag boards, get low and dirty, or pump up the preload for 2up, they'll do it.

Originally Posted by Morish
I’m 100% in agreement with you man. I prefer to feel the road than riding a Cloud.
Progressive manufacturers a quality product. Folks that bash them are just ignorant.
With no hesitation, I would use their suspension upgrades in a heart beat.

A few folks told me to go with Olins but what a difference in price.
I knew I was going to sell my Heritage in a few years so I went with Progressive and extremely happy .

The following 2 users liked this post by 04FXDI:
Clammy (01-13-2021), Morish (01-13-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:27 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04FXDI
Well. LMK say this, the 422s to me feel like I'm riding on a cloud at the softest setting, But if I want to drag boards, get low and dirty, or pump up the preload for 2up, they'll do it.
Since it's a bit of a PITA to adjust the preload on the 422s, and I often ride loaded with luggage and/or two-up, I leave the them set at the highest preload. Running solo with no extra weight, she's on the "stiff" side, but with the Mustang Regal Duke, and the Corbin before, completely comfortable for riding all day long. A high quality seat makes a HUGE difference on a Softail, no matter what suspension you're running with.

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2021, 07:36 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member

Exactly why I run a Mean City Cycles saddle.

Originally Posted by Clammy
Since it's a bit of a PITA to adjust the preload on the 422s, and I often ride loaded with luggage and/or two-up, I leave the them set at the highest preload. Running solo with no extra weight, she's on the "stiff" side, but with the Mustang Regal Duke, and the Corbin before, completely comfortable for riding all day long. A high quality seat makes a HUGE difference on a Softail, no matter what suspension you're running with.

Cheers!

Old 01-13-2021, 07:41 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer
Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow! Thanks guys! I've been thinking about an upgrade to RAP 422... You folks have convinced! The sooner, the better...

Clammy (01-13-2021)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?