Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 12:14 PM
wz2wj1
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'll pull the small filter off. Did i post a reply to one of your post? I just tried to post to "the what did you do today" thread.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:29 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by wz2wj1
Thanks for the info. I'll pull the small filter off. Did i post a reply to one of your post? I just tried to post to "the what did you do today" thread.
Also, it appears that your exit hose may be running "up hill" as it goes over the tranny. This could
create a "P trap" like area where liquid settles. My opinion is that you want the exit hose running
all "downhill" to the actual end of the hose to avoid this. So from your tee, consider making the
hose diagonal instead of down, then horizontal/up over the tranny....

FWIW, here's a pic of mine...

hope this helps,

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 12-27-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:34 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default breather hose routing

looking at this setup, it looks perfect except the hose running uphill as WKNDS states. I have been wondering thought, is it really necessary to run it to the BACK of the cylinders and transmission? I ran mine to the front, and under the front of the engine, as it seems a shorter distance and runs to the bottom better. I see no disadvantage or advantage either way, except the fact that you see less hose that way. Make sense to anyone?????

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_2882.MOV (1.51 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by Joseph Jerry Hache; 12-27-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 12-27-2020, 12:45 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joseph Jerry Hache
looking at this setup, it looks perfect except the hose running uphill as WKNDS states. I have been wondering thought, is it really necessary to run it to the BACK of the cylinders and transmission? I ran mine to the front, and under the front of the engine, as it seems a shorter distance and runs to the bottom better. I see no disadvantage or advantage either way, except the fact that you see less hose that way. Make sense to anyone?????
IDK if it matters or not, I just chose to have the shortest path I could make.
Mine just exits under the motor (between the frame/motor)

T.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:48 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser

Nice looking setup.. Love the SS hoses.. May have to rethink how to route mine, and find myself some New hoses.. I like it. Very professional looking.

Old 12-27-2020, 12:59 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joseph Jerry Hache
Nice looking setup.. Love the SS hoses.. May have to rethink how to route mine, and find myself some New hoses.. I like it. Very professional looking.
Thanks! The lines aren't stainless (but I dont remember), but the fittings are real A/N fittings.
(yeah, it is way overkill in this application)

On edit; I think they are indeed stainless, cause I had to use a cut-off wheel to cut them...

T.

Last edited by WKNDS; 12-27-2020 at 01:01 PM. Reason: clairification
The following users liked this post:
Joseph Jerry Hache (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 02:16 PM
wz2wj1
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the tips and info. I just Replaced the tee with a larger one and ran a larger ID hose to the back, eliminating any up hill areas. Still have to wait until spring to try.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:26 PM
Joseph Jerry Hache
Cruiser

Love the way you enlarged the lines. I'm going to do the same. with the ones I have on. I'm thinking that the ¼" line would stretch over the larger T though.. Maybe heat it up a little.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:39 PM
Morish
Road Captain
Received 329 Likes on 201 Posts

Use hot water to heat the hose, works great.

The following users liked this post:
Joseph Jerry Hache (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 03:48 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 298 Posts

I finally figured out how to mount mirrors under the bars on my ‘17 Slim. I had the Arlen Ness micro mini oval mirrors on top of the bars for a while now, but I recently ordered the black, round torx “bolts” that are used on a Sportster 48. The torx bolt enabled me to clear the brake cylinder on the right side. The metal mount that is attached to the turn signal on the right rubs slightly rubs against the mirror stem, but whatever. My first bike was a 48, and I prefer under mounted mirrors. I was able to flip the mirrors on my ‘18 Deluxe without any problems, and it’s been killing me that I didn’t think I could do it on the Slim without relocating the turn signals. I have found that I have a much wider field of vision with the mirrors under the bars.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?