Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Softail Today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020 | 11:30 PM
Capt_Salty
Tourer

Originally Posted by crtfibl
When I got my 1960 Porsche (~12 years ago), they had a fit looking for the EPA sticker. Finally convinced them there was no EPA in 1960.
Such a typical lack of that extremely rare item... "common sense"...

The following users liked this post:
ThunderTruck (11-09-2020)
Old 11-10-2020 | 11:37 AM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Warrior

Unfortunately, I winterized it. But I had a really nice, long riding season this year, so I’m not complaining.

Old 11-10-2020 | 08:54 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Added an air cleaner the other day. Doesn't the past week or better getting the right tune. Finally got a decent test ride in tonight. I'll do a longer ride and datalog it to be sure I'm good before I auto tune. Also installed new throttle cables. Ignore the fuel mileage, 60% if the time the rigid was idling to get it hot. AFR was 14.2 cruising.
Pics:

Old 11-11-2020 | 04:24 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
Added an air cleaner the other day. Doesn't the past week or better getting the right tune. Finally got a decent test ride in tonight. I'll do a longer ride and datalog it to be sure I'm good before I auto tune. Also installed new throttle cables. Ignore the fuel mileage, 60% if the time the rigid was idling to get it hot. AFR was 14.2 cruising.
Pics:

Looks good. Looks like a Velociraptor intake. I put one on my Sporty & did an external breather hose setup
to keep the hot oil mist out of my intake. The way I did it is not subtle or out of sight, but I'm
sure there are other ways to "skin the cat" if you want to keep the lines hidden.
Here's a pic;

T.

Old 11-11-2020 | 12:59 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

New seat day!

Due to operator error, the leather top on the Corbin Gunfighter & Lady seat I bought in 2016, shrank over time (that's ME leaving the seat exposed to the elements and not being good enough with oiling/conditioning the leather. Since I don't have a garage, Reaper lives outside, and I've come to the conclusion that vinyl seats are a better option for me.), pulling off the foam, making it more and more uncomfortable, and uglier looking all the time.

So, enter the Mustang Extra Wide Regal Duke seat.

I LOVE the way this seat looks on Reaper (it has the look of the original Softail Custom pillow seats from the 80s, when I fell in love with the ST Custom), and the 4+ hour ride I did in it yesterday was very comfortable. As the seat breaks in, it should only get better, too!
Looking back now, I should have gone with this seat over the Corbin in '16. The Corbin IS very comfortable, but I was never in love with the way it looked on Reaper.

Here's a comparison pic (Mustang on top, Corbin on bottom). It's gloomy and drizzling today, but you can see the difference. You can see how the leather top cover of the Corbin is lifting off the foam.
To me the Mustang looks so much better, and has a more classic look, AND it matches up with the sissy bar pad.

I had a bit of an issue with fitment at first, but it's all good now! (see this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...duke-seat.html )

Looking forward to spending many, many, miles and hours in this saddle!

Cheers!

The following 3 users liked this post by Clammy:
Big Mule (11-11-2020), BikerPepe` (11-12-2020), HD_fan (11-11-2020)
Old 11-12-2020 | 10:53 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member

Hey Clammy - I've had the exact same issue with my Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat, for the same operator error reasons. The leather dried up, started to pull away and eventually the stitching ripped across the *** cradle. I've tried to contact Corbin through their website at least 8 times over the summer to send it in for repair but I've never gotten a single reply from them. Friend of mine had a similar repair a few years ago for $250 and I'm a cheap bastard. I'll also say that while I've been comfortable enough with the Corbin, my lil' lady hates it. Much too firm for her dainty little ***. I even bought a spare, very slim seat from another board member here... just to get me through the last season.

Do you know if the Mustang seat model you've chosen comes with the mount for the rider backrest? I've had one on my seat for years and have really grown to love it with my physical issues. If so... I might have to go that route myself, since Corbin has apparently decided not to support their customers anymore.

Clammy (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020 | 11:34 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BikerPepe`
Hey Clammy - I've had the exact same issue with my Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat, for the same operator error reasons. The leather dried up, started to pull away and eventually the stitching ripped across the *** cradle. I've tried to contact Corbin through their website at least 8 times over the summer to send it in for repair but I've never gotten a single reply from them. Friend of mine had a similar repair a few years ago for $250 and I'm a cheap bastard. I'll also say that while I've been comfortable enough with the Corbin, my lil' lady hates it. Much too firm for her dainty little ***. I even bought a spare, very slim seat from another board member here... just to get me through the last season.

Do you know if the Mustang seat model you've chosen comes with the mount for the rider backrest? I've had one on my seat for years and have really grown to love it with my physical issues. If so... I might have to go that route myself, since Corbin has apparently decided not to support their customers anymore.
I had similar no response from Corbin, so I took the seat to a local upholstery place to see about getting it recovered, and was quoted a price that was double what I paid for the seat new! Thanks to Corbin gluing the leather to the foam, recovering makes it labour intensive. When I had an OL, she didn't like the passenger pillion of the Corbin either, so I bought a Mustang Wide Touring seat for our longer trips. I'm sure she wouldn't have any problem with the passenger pillion on the Wide Duke. It's plush! With the issues that I've had, I won't be buying another Corbin seat.

Even though the Duke has a single seat pan, the cushion is a split design, but I don't know if it accepts a backrest. It looks like it might take one, but I really don't know. I've never used a backrest.

Cheers!

BikerPepe` (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020 | 11:38 AM
Morish
Road Captain

Looks good, buy a bike cover, that will help.

The following 2 users liked this post by Morish:
BikerPepe` (11-12-2020), Clammy (11-12-2020)
Old 11-13-2020 | 10:58 AM
Dynalmadman
Cruiser

Ahhhhh, that's better.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dynalmadman:
BikerPepe` (11-13-2020), porkster (11-17-2020), YZR (11-15-2020)
Old 11-13-2020 | 12:11 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dynalmadman

Ahhhhh, that's better.
That lay down curved tag frame looks so much better!

Dynalmadman (11-13-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Softail Today?